PDA

View Full Version : what I think of bulking and cutting for non competitors who just want to look good

GregDeguzman
03-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I think people go over board when the bulk. They end up creating new fat cells (lipogenesis) which they have to get rid off when it come time to cut. I believe bulking up slowly is better. This way you mitigate fat gain so when it comes time to cut down it won't really take that long and you don't feel miserable during a diet. Anyways, thats my thoughts and thats how I bulked ;-)

jamie0486
03-12-2012, 08:00 PM
How long did it take you to teach your bulking goals man?
And how long did you have to cut for?

GregDeguzman
03-12-2012, 08:08 PM
How long did it take you to teach your bulking goals man?
And how long did you have to cut for?

it took me 6 months. that is the standard when it comes to a successful bulk. But i made sure it was a clean bulk putting as much muscle mass with a little bit of fat and it only took me around 3 months to cut up and get striations. I realize its easier to cut when you bulk without putting a lot of fat.

BigD208
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Definitely agree.I Have lots of friends who are way into bodybuilding and lifting and all are over 20% BF. Just dont get it. You can have all the mass in the world and you will still look like **** if you are over 15% BF. Most people don't understand the "cut" side of it I think. I think they assume that if you bulk bulk bulk and gain a **** ton of mass it just becomes ripped or that it replaces all your fat. They fail to realize that you have to cut away the fat. Not to mention the illusion that being lean creates. You can look absolutely jacked at relatively low weights if you have no fat on your body.

TheHolyCannoli
03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I think people go over board when the bulk. They end up creating new fat cells (lipogenesis) which they have to get rid off when it come time to cut. I believe bulking up slowly is better. This way you mitigate fat gain so when it comes time to cut down it won't really take that long and you don't feel miserable during a diet. Anyways, thats my thoughts and thats how I bulked ;-)

Well said...I had a long time off from lifting/nutrition and in the mean time got myself up to around maybe 23-25%BF with not very much muscle mass. Definitely wish something clicked in my head BEFORE the scale said 180 about 2-1/2 months ago. I've now got fat on the lower abs that I know is going to be a total pain in the @$$ to get rid of. I've leaned out quite a bit during this ongoing cut and I'm debating whether to keep cutting until the "pooch" is gone, but I'm thinking going less than 155lbs without bulking first might be a mistake.

Whenever I do decide to start a bulk, this experience has ensured that I will aim for a slow 1lb/wk weight gain.

anonymous
03-12-2012, 09:30 PM

nympho
03-12-2012, 09:32 PM
my goal is to get around 8% bodyfat and then just cycle calories. I don't think I would ever want to get over 14-15% bodyfat ever again. Maybe little stints of 4 week calorie surplus, then back to cut, then cycle again.

mosdel
03-12-2012, 09:38 PM
OP, how many calories over maintenance did you bulk at to ensure minimal fat gains?

GregDeguzman
03-14-2012, 11:52 PM
OP, how many calories over maintenance did you bulk at to ensure minimal fat gains?

To be honest, I never count calories. All I know is how much calories I need to maintain. And from there I just eat depending how my body feels and see how my body looks in the mirror. This is exactly what I do when I bulk. And I also never weighed myself. The only time I weighed myself was when I was still fat. But real talk, the last time I weighed myself was 3 years ago. This is what works best for me and if you want you can try it also, in my opinion its the best way to gain muscle mass with little bit of fat, its all about having the mind and body connection and understanding your body without depending on numbers of calories and body fat percentage numbers ;-)

determined4000
03-15-2012, 12:21 AM
I think those who do compete probably do you like you do in terms of slow bulks
Its the noobs and impatient amateurs who do dirty bulks