PDA

View Full Version : curious- what you would do with left overs!

pinkminx
03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
ok....Occasionally i have days when i haven't planned well enough with food intake Vs training! i am learning BUT surely
everyone has this problem - occasionally!
I train in the evenings in the week, plan my meals through the day to a 'T' (i'm cutting) everything is going great, but what happens when you've had a massive evening training session, bigger than planned (in tonights case i joined up with a training partner which was ace!) and you have, say for example an expenditure of 1000 calories 'in the bank' as i call it -at night!!!
Do you leave it? do you eat more even though its night? i probably wouldn't question it, but i'm burnt out tonight and have a stack of work to do and i want to get up for a run in the morning - whats the best thing for me to eat, my normal evening meal would be chicken breast and veg!

When i train in the mornings at weekends it great, the rest of the day it planned perfectly!

Hope this makes sense - What would you do?
thanks!

inbetweendays
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand the question. I have a calorie target for the day. If at the end of the day I haven't hit that target I eat. It doesn't matter how late it is, I'd still eat. I don't bother with trying to figure our how many cals I burn in a workout in order to compensate. Is that what you're trying to do?

wakechica
03-12-2012, 04:18 PM
If i have calories left over I take them!! Protein shake single scoop with water quite a good little one, some tuna. Fruit.. yoghurt! Anything! I just had a shake cos I had 240odd to go. It's nearly 11pm here (!!)

Rowyn
03-12-2012, 05:06 PM
..., but what happens when you've had a massive evening training session, bigger than planned (in tonights case i joined up with a training partner which was ace!) and you have, say for example an expenditure of 1000 calories 'in the bank' as i call it....

Are you meaning that you "burned" alot more calories? Most of us eat a certain amount of calories per day, irregardless of how much we trained (I have never tried to figure out what I have expended, for example), because we calculate what we eat per day with an activity factor already built into the equation.

If I reach my evening meal and I still have 600 calories left, I generally know how much protein/fat I need to still eat, and I eat that plus whatever else to make up the 600. If I trained extra hard that day, I wouldn't eat more than my daily allotment if I were cutting.

If you are feeling wiped out, eat some carbs with your chicken and vegetables, regardless of what caloric intake you decide to stick to for the evening. Doesn't matter that its nighttime.

wakechica
03-13-2012, 02:04 AM
Are you meaning that you "burned" alot more calories? Most of us eat a certain amount of calories per day, irregardless of how much we trained (I have never tried to figure out what I have expended, for example), because we calculate what we eat per day with an activity factor already built into the equation.

If I reach my evening meal and I still have 600 calories left, I generally know how much protein/fat I need to still eat, and I eat that plus whatever else to make up the 600. If I trained extra hard that day, I wouldn't eat more than my daily allotment if I were cutting.

If you are feeling wiped out, eat some carbs with your chicken and vegetables, regardless of what caloric intake you decide to stick to for the evening. Doesn't matter that its nighttime.

^^^ I only log cardio cals expended.

If you do cardio do you bother? Do you think it makes much of a difference? I understand for cutting but when you're not?

pinkminx
03-13-2012, 03:23 AM
thanks, so my daily amount of calories is set to take into account my 'average' day - including being sat at a a desk all day and my evening workout. But last night and occasionally some other days i have an unplanned massive workout for whatever reason, normally it wouldn't bother me. But last night i felt so BURNTout so i decided to do a few sums and worked i had under eaten by over 1000 calories - this was at 9pm - going to bed at 11pm.

So from what i can gather the general consensus on this would be to just eat?

LunicaAshes
03-13-2012, 04:57 AM
If you are sure you really burned that much, and your body tells you it needs it, I say eat until you are at a typical 500 cal deficit for the day. Doesn't matter when it is.

Rowyn
03-13-2012, 07:25 AM
^^^ I only log cardio cals expended.

That is not necessary (nor possible to do accurately) either, as long as your activiity factor is correct.

... so i decided to do a few sums and worked i had under eaten by over 1000 calories - this was at 9pm - going to bed at 11pm.

Undereating is as counter productive as overeating, perhaps even more so. You should know way before 9 pm if you are hitting your caloric goals for the day. I would suggest that in the future, keep better track of where you are at calorically before dinner so that you know what you need to eat to fuel yourself properly. For most this means tracking (doing sums) with an online calorie counting site until they have the hang of meeting their caloric goals.

wakechica
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
That is not necessary (nor possible to do accurately) either, as long as your activiity factor is correct.

Ok well that's helped me fully understand activity factor correctly lol. So I'm using 1.5 but probably should be using 1.6-1.7. So by logging my cardio I probably counter this? I err on the side of caution - use HR monitor and Garmin that calculates calories as the factors you use are 1.0 - 1.9 (1.7 being 6-7 days/week) based on age, sex, height, weight and lifetime athlete or not. I just get a bit worried especially with spring around the corner and starting to ride my road bike again and slogging out 300+ in 30mins. Surely I need to eat to compensate or I'll be a lot under?

Sorry for thread hijack. I thought I had this thing nailed... obs not!

My total calories with exercise reduced usually ends up around maint but doesn't include lifting.