PDA

View Full Version : better meal first thing in the morning??

MexicanHercules
03-12-2012, 08:40 AM
a) 2 cans of tuna + 1 cup of oats in water.

b) 1 can of tuna + 1/2 cup of oats in 1.5 cups of 1% fat milk + 1 serving of natural peanut butter.

lee__d
03-12-2012, 08:42 AM
htf does someone eat tuna in the morning?

this is an unanswerable question without proper context.

jnycs
03-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Both options sound terrible.

I mean, I usually prefer eggs, oats, toast, bacon or even cereal on occasion OP...

impakt1
03-12-2012, 08:48 AM
whatever fits into your total macros for the day is the best meal.

MexicanHercules
03-12-2012, 09:07 AM
whatever fits into your total macros for the day is the best meal.ok, well at least this is a start.. the other 2 trolls will forever be alone. i got my macros down so i can pretty much consume anything at any time since adjustments can be made for the following meals. i'm more interested in the technical side of things.. i've always taken nothing but complex carbs first thing in the morning and was wondering if there's a better way to do it. i've read about adding simple carbs first thing in the morning is the way to go. does a combination of simple and complex carbs first thing in the morning really make a difference??

Sean Tierney
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
It's tough to answer that without knowing your goals.... and I think I just lost my appetite but I think what you’re getting at is :

a) High protein, moderate-high carb, low fat
b) Moderate protein, low carb, moderate fat

You’ll get many different opinions on this as people have slightly different macronutrient ratios that they’ve found works well for them. IMO I’d go with the higher carb option without the milk for the first meal of the day. I’d prefer the carbs from oats as opposed to the oats/milk combo because they burn slower. But then again I’m not a big fan of milk overall.

MexicanHercules
03-12-2012, 09:18 AM
It's tough to answer that without knowing your goals.... and I think I just lost my appetite but I think what you’re getting at is :

a) High protein, moderate-high carb, low fat
b) Moderate protein, low carb, moderate fat

You’ll get many different opinions on this as people have slightly different macronutrient ratios that they’ve found works well for them. IMO I’d go with the higher carb option without the milk for the first meal of the day. I’d prefer the carbs from oats as opposed to the oats/milk combo because they burn slower. But then again I’m not a big fan of milk overall.believe me, i know what you mean. it's a dreadful breakfast but it's the quickest to prep. so i see you prefer complex carbs in the morning.. i was just wondering because i've heard and read about how much better it is if you combine simple and complex carbs first thing in the morning to fill glycogen stores.

Sean Tierney
03-12-2012, 09:36 AM
believe me, i know what you mean. it's a dreadful breakfast but it's the quickest to prep. so i see you prefer complex carbs in the morning.. i was just wondering because i've heard and read about how much better it is if you combine simple and complex carbs first thing in the morning to fill glycogen stores.

Yeah there is some truth to that and if you’re trying to add size it could be an option for you. I’ve seen some research to suggest that you’ll fill out glycogen stores better with moderate-high glycemic carbs compared to low glycemic which makes sense when you think about insulin’s role in transporting nutrients to the cells. The answer I previously gave is a safer option if you’re concerned with body fat. But if you’re lean and trying to add some size, adding in some sugars in the breakfast and post-workout meals is the way to go.

FitnessCPA
03-12-2012, 09:39 AM
htf does someone eat tuna in the morning?

this is an unanswerable question without proper context.

Somehow OP thinks that's a troll post. I think the bolded was the only thing that really needs to be said here, troll.

lee__d
03-12-2012, 09:45 AM
ok, well at least this is a start.. the other 2 trolls will forever be alone. i got my macros down so i can pretty much consume anything at any time since adjustments can be made for the following meals. i'm more interested in the technical side of things.. i've always taken nothing but complex carbs first thing in the morning and was wondering if there's a better way to do it. i've read about adding simple carbs first thing in the morning is the way to go. does a combination of simple and complex carbs first thing in the morning really make a difference??

troll? One meal means absolutely nothing without knowing your entire diet. It doesn't matter what carbs you eat when (in terms of body comp - performance is going to be individual).