PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Nutrition - Whole food vs Supplements

dylan007
03-09-2012, 02:30 AM
first of all i know nutrient timing is not important compared to getting overall macros per day.. etc etc but what do you guys think is better post workout recovery whole food

or a combination of wholefoods / supplements

so what do you think is superior for recovery?

Examples

Supplementation
25g Dextrose 25g Malto and 2 scoops of whey protein

Wholefoods
white Potato (high GI ) + 6 eggs whites

Combinations
White potato + protein shake

Oatmeal + protein shake

Ash_au
03-09-2012, 03:20 AM
wholefoods

why? micronutrients, fibre, taste,

SimonThePieman
03-09-2012, 03:23 AM
steak, potato (varies) and veg.

why? thats what men eat

oskarhul09
03-09-2012, 03:33 AM
supplementing with dextro or malto is retarded. Recovery doesnt happen straight after a workout, its an ongoing process.

gloria7
03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
wholefoods

why? micronutrients, fibre, taste,

^^ whole foods>supplements

wwazza
03-09-2012, 03:47 AM
Depends on what schedule allows!

If you know you won't be able to prepare a meal for after the workout then you got to supplement with something easier (shake and banana) or you'll feel drained/hungry. Malto/Dextro seems a waist of time to me, what satisfaction and more importantly nutrients do you get from tasteless powder?

If time allows real food beats supps everytime. Rice/Pasta/Bread/Potatoes with any meat and veg is good for me.

snorkelman
03-09-2012, 04:10 AM
I personally would never use dextrose or waxy or any other powder high GI carb, as they are all nutritionally empty and nothing other than empty calories. I am not in the very narrow category of athletes who would benefit from a high GI carb immediately post workout.

I am not afraid to use whey for convenience and currently actually do that for just that reason. I do prefer to eat my carbs (or drink them in the form of milk) and I currently use a piece of fruit. If I did not have my current schedule, I would probably enjoy a nice chicken sandwich or hamburger.

ArchangelEST
03-09-2012, 04:12 AM
I Don't really care either way. There is no Immediate need for any form of nutrient intake after a work-out if you ate a reasonably large solid meal a few hours before working out which nearly all people do.

If you are in the habit of practicing fasted training, then there is probably some potential benefit to consuming fast absorbing proteins after a work-out, but that applies to a very small percentage of the population.

Carbohydrate consumption post work-out is similarly and even more so unnecessary unless you are in the habit of also practicing multiple training sessions a day in which case post-work-out carb intake will be useful in stimulating faster glycogen replenishing. If not, with any "Normal" amount of carb intake you'll replenish within a day anyway...