PDA

View Full Version : Eat Ur Veggiezzz!

NroK1118
03-04-2012, 07:50 PM
So basically I'm looking for some ideas on new vegetables to eat. Lately I've pretty much been sticking to a crap load of spinach, carrots, corn, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, and green beans. I'll probably get **** for having such a limited spectrum of vegetables but I really need some new recommendations! I've been pretty picky when it comes to vegetables my whole life but I have no problem really with any other food groups. I just feel I need some more variety for the micronutrients. Help a brah out!

NroK1118
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Bump. Any ideas for some variety?

dchan8
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Cucumber slices, cherry/grape tomatoes, roasted carrots/parsnips/other root vegetables, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, just to name a few. For the roasted broccoli and cauliflower, just toss florets in some olive oil and garlic (minced or powder) and roast in a 450F oven until browning around the edges. Good luck!

spicyprice
03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
I have been eating a nice variety lately:

eggplant (great roasted)
zuchinni squash
cucumbers in vinegar with salt and pepper
green leaf lettuce for lettuce wraps (crispy and a nice change, can put tuna/salmon, taco meat)
celery dipped in franks red hot sauce
asparagus (cook over med high heat with a dash of salt then squeeze lemon juice on it.)
tomatoes--use fresh toms to make a homemade pasta sauce with fresh herbs, add to eggs, buy the cherry/grape sized ones and eat like candy)
mushrooms-- can put in everything or cook them over med heat and eat as a side dish

NroK1118
03-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Cucumber slices, cherry/grape tomatoes, roasted carrots/parsnips/other root vegetables, roasted broccoli and cauliflower, just to name a few. For the roasted broccoli and cauliflower, just toss florets in some olive oil and garlic (minced or powder) and roast in a 450F oven until browning around the edges. Good luck!

Thanks man! I don't like broccoli too much but I'll just try it again.

ScaleAndSteel
03-04-2012, 08:35 PM
What I do:

On a Sunday night (I finished an hour ago) I chop up all my veggies and add them to tupperware. I store them in fridge. I can then make the same lunch every day for a week with this.

I put two cups of my mixed veggies on a fry pan and heat them up with two whole eggs and two egg whites. I serve them with a few banana peppers on top and 4 tablespoon fulls of salsa verde. I love it. It is very healthy and tastes great.

My veggies: 3 green bell peppers, 3 banded stacks of green onions, a quarter or a bit more of purple onion, a leek, 2 of each: anahiem, cubano, pablano, and sarano peppers, and a bag of sweet peppers (my Meijer carries them during the year and I add them when they have them), 1 cup of cilantro but I make it a generous cup.

I am used to eating spicy foods so for me it is just good eats. It may be spicy for others though. It is healthy and tastes so good, make me wanna slap my momma.

NroK1118
03-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I have been eating a nice variety lately:

eggplant (great roasted)
zuchinni squash
cucumbers in vinegar with salt and pepper
green leaf lettuce for lettuce wraps (crispy and a nice change, can put tuna/salmon, taco meat)
celery dipped in franks red hot sauce
asparagus (cook over med high heat with a dash of salt then squeeze lemon juice on it.)
tomatoes--use fresh toms to make a homemade pasta sauce with fresh herbs, add to eggs, buy the cherry/grape sized ones and eat like candy)
mushrooms-- can put in everything or cook them over med heat and eat as a side dish

Great suggestions. I'll try most of those and I appreciate telling me how you like them cooked. My parents never really made me eat veggies so I have to figure out ways to make them taste better.

NroK1118
03-04-2012, 08:39 PM
What I do:

On a Sunday night (I finished an hour ago) I chop up all my veggies and add them to tupperware. I store them in fridge. I can then make the same lunch every day for a week with this.

I put two cups of my mixed veggies on a fry pan and heat them up with two whole eggs and two egg whites. I serve them with a few banana peppers on top and 4 tablespoon fulls of salsa verde. I love it. It is very healthy and tastes great.

My veggies: 3 green bell peppers, 3 banded stacks of green onions, a quarter or a bit more of purple onion, a leek, 2 of each: anahiem, cubano, pablano, and sarano peppers, and a bag of sweet peppers (my Meijer carries them during the year and I add them when they have them), 1 cup of cilantro but I make it a generous cup.

I am used to eating spicy foods so for me it is just good eats. It may be spicy for others though. It is healthy and tastes so good, make me wanna slap my momma.

I love spicy food too and I don't know why I didn't think of peppers haha.

yieldtonothing
03-04-2012, 08:53 PM
i love broccoli, asparagus, artichoke hearts, hearts of palm, eggplant, kale, arugala

i mean, i like to eat like a lard now and then but i really do enjoy the veggies i listed above...plus its almost impossible to beat the calorie:volume ratio

spicyprice
03-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Great suggestions. I'll try most of those and I appreciate telling me how you like them cooked. My parents never really made me eat veggies so I have to figure out ways to make them taste better.

No problem! I love them with little fuss so you can really taste it.

Most veggies are great roasted. Just toss with a bit of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and toss in the oven. It makes them a bit sweet. Another one I didnt mention was parsnips. Those roasted are GREAT.

I also will take a ton of different veggies, and spray a pan and then cook them down a bit and then add in eggs and cook, then top with an interesting cheese. Nice filling meal.

Frozen artichoke hearts-- cook them down in a pan, add some garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice and then toss with pasta and top with fresh parm cheese.... MMMM!!!

Arugula is a nice spicy lettuce that cooks down nicely too.. Just put it in a pan and let it wilt, add salt and pepper and eat. Its a spicy lettuce so it has more flavor than spinach. I use it in eggs all of the time.

Srsly, i could go on and on....

JasonDB
03-04-2012, 09:54 PM
If you are looking for a bit more nutrient diversity don't discount fruit either... usually vegetables have a bit more micronutrients per calorie but things like berries (blueberries and strawberries) and kiwi (I eat a couple of these every day because I get them cheap) are extremely micronutrient dense.

spicyprice
03-04-2012, 10:09 PM
If you are looking for a bit more nutrient diversity don't discount fruit either... usually vegetables have a bit more micronutrients per calorie but things like berries (blueberries and strawberries) and kiwi (I eat a couple of these every day because I get them cheap) are extremely micronutrient dense.

Plus they are like candy!

NroK1118
03-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Oh I agree haha. I love fruit. Vegetables are just a little harder for me to stomach. But I get 4-5 servings of fruit/vegetables per day, definitely more fruit.

JasonDB
03-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh I agree haha. I love fruit. Vegetables are just a little harder for me to stomach. But I get 4-5 servings of fruit/vegetables per day, definitely more fruit.

It is possible to get all of your vitamin, mineral and photonutrient fruit and vegetable needs exlcusively from fruits... just keep in mind you will need to consume more calories to do so as fruits are more calorically dense... however if you eat enough of them you are not required to eat vegetables to meet your needs.

spicyprice
03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
It is possible to get all of your vitamin, mineral and photonutrient fruit and vegetable needs exlcusively from fruits... just keep in mind you will need to consume more calories to do so as fruits are more calorically dense... however if you eat enough of them you are not required to eat vegetables to meet your needs.

But then you would miss out on the deliciousness of roasted veggies and the great variety of flavors!

JasonDB
03-05-2012, 09:51 AM
But then you would miss out on the deliciousness of roasted veggies and the great variety of flavors!

I just cook mine into my rice these days to be honest. I tend to do a lot of oven baked curry rice rigth now.

gbullock32
03-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I usually put 2 cups of broccoli in a bowl, microwave for 1 minute and stir in 6-8 tablespoons of salsa then microwave for another 1-2 minutes; taste good, like a lazy mans stir fry.

spicyprice
03-05-2012, 11:35 AM
I just cook mine into my rice these days to be honest. I tend to do a lot of oven baked curry rice rigth now.

never had a baked curry..... favorite recipe?

VeniVidiVici92
03-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Red Pepper
Spinach
Lettuce
Onion
Red Onion
Spring Onion
Baby Corns

^ Love those!

JasonDB
03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
never had a baked curry..... favorite recipe?

The same way you would boil rice I just cook chicken in curry sauce in the oven and add rice + water and bake for about 40 mins.... comes out just like rice from a chinese restaurant really.

spicyprice
03-05-2012, 12:07 PM
The same way you would boil rice I just cook chicken in curry sauce in the oven and add rice + water and bake for about 40 mins.... comes out just like rice from a chinese restaurant really.

That sounds really good..... Will try this week.

Thanks!

JasonDB
03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
That sounds really good..... Will try this week.

Thanks!

I should clarify grill or oven brown chicken first... dice it, add curry sauce and any veggies (broccoli, carrots or red bell peppers etc) cook for about 10 mins then while still hot I add 1 cup of white rice, stir it into the chicken and sauce then add 2 cups of boiling water and cook for 30-40 mins at 180 C (No F on the ovens here about 350)... chicken should be mostly cooked first.

weppe
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I just eat carrots, tomatoes and cucumber. Don't really like green stuff :E

JeffyDOS
03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
This thread makes me feel terrible about myself...

>doesn't eat fruits/veggies on a daily basis
>doesn't take multivitamin
doingitwrong.jpg

NroK1118
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM

That's good to know man. I definitely have an easier time eating fruit but I wouldn't ever completely cease vegetables from my diet just because I don't like them, but this does make me feel a little better. Will rep on recharge.

NroK1118
03-05-2012, 03:38 PM
This thread makes me feel terrible about myself...

>doesn't eat fruits/veggies on a daily basis
>doesn't take multivitamin
doingitwrong.jpg

Haha that's how I feel but I just had to eat them because I know they're good for you. I try to put overall health before bodybuilding/powerlifting.

NroK1118
03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I just eat carrots, tomatoes and cucumber. Don't really like green stuff :E

Same here, but now I can force spinach down my throat pretty easily, was pretty hard at first though, I honestly felt like puking.

NroK1118
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Red Pepper
Spinach
Lettuce
Onion
Red Onion
Spring Onion
Baby Corns

^ Love those!

Good suggestions man! Only problem is I hate onions haha.

AngelsFiancee
03-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Cauliflower is great, so versatile and if you cook it right it tastes amazing! Depending on how you cook it, you can use it as a substitute for mash, for rice, for potato salad...
Squashes are awesome too. Pumpkin, butternut, spaghetti, etc, so many varieties! Tastes great roasted or char-grilled.
Another tip is to just chuck any veggies you can find into a saucepan, cover with water and a stock-cube (and herbs if you like them) and simmer until soft. Blend, season, and you have really simple soup that will hide the taste of certain vegetables you think you don't like. Works on the kids too :)