PDA

View Full Version : Bulking and getting no results from it...

R0FLCOPTERS
03-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, this is my first thread/topic on these forums so I apologize if this is in the wrong section!

Anyways, let me explain myself: Currently, I am 5'10" tall, 152 pounds, 22 years old (if that matters), and ~9% body fat (got it measured w/ a caliper test, not sure how accurate those actually are). I'd like to buff up to a nice 165, though I'm REALLY trying to minimize any fat gain.

For the past month I have been going on a "bulking diet" which I have been following very well. I have calculated my maintenance to be at ~2650 calories/day given my activity level, which is pretty strenuous (workout 5-6 days a week with a combination of lifting/cardio). I've been trying to minimize any fat gain, and thus I have only been doing a surplus of 200 calories a day which puts me at a 2850 calories/day diet. My diet, as far as I can tell, has been quite good. I have evened my meals out to have six meals split throughout the day at 500 or slightly less per meal that total my 2850 and I always take in a solid amount of protein (at least 30 per meal though often more and the days total is always in the 180-220 range), and I have been sticking to good carbs and fat sources (high fiber carbs - oats, wheat bread, fruit/veggies - and natural pb, almonds etc for fats). Problem is, I HAVEN'T GAINED AN OUNCE!!! Obviously, I need to add calories though I am paranoid that doing so will just end up being additional gain in fat.

Also, a couple of more specific questions:
1) How many carbs a day are needed? On my current diet plan, I'm averaging about ~240 g/day which seems to give me the energy I need
2) I read somewhere that you should try to to exceed 600 calories per meal because your body won't process all of that food well enough without some amount of fat storage? Is that true or totally false?

Anyways, some general Thoughts/Suggestions?

Jolts
03-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Regardless of how many extra calories you add you'll gain some fat with the muscle growth. Then again if your weight has stayed even though you're lifting doesn't that mean you're re-comping?(which isn't a bad thing IMO)

Anyway, everyone's body is different. There's no "set" amount that'll result in weight gain so if you're afraid of 5-600 you can just up your current diet from +200 to +300-350 then increase it more if necessary.

AlwaysTryin
03-03-2012, 06:48 PM
You need to remember your maintenance is only an estimate, thus it could be higher

InhudibleCrelk
03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
try to get around 1.5g of protein per lb/bodyweight and don't be afraid of some extra carbs... just time them correctly during the day. You are going to gain some body fat putting on weight... but if eating properly it will be properly proportioned to your muscle gain. as the previous poster mentioned... everyone's body using the same 'guidelines' but everyone responds differently... you have to try different approaches to find what works best for you.

don't worry about body fat... it can always be burned!

AlwaysTryin
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
and don't be afraid of some extra carbs... just time them correctly during the day.

Eh??!