PDA

View Full Version : Calorie Intake? Quick opinions.

SaylorR
03-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey folks,

I've been reading around, plugging my numbers into various sites with various calculators in an attempt to pinpoint a number calorie intake number to help me lose weight. I figure I would ask for some opinions here because after searching through some threads, most of you guys seem like a solid, knowledgeable bunch!

I am 6'0, 237.5 lbs. I started exercising via P90X in mid-January. I started at 249 lbs. The P90X nutrition plan has me at 3000 calories a day and I can honestly say I have never hit that mark (honestly, with wife and kid, I never seem to have enough food in the house to do so). Most websites and calendars I plug my information in seems to put me between 2600-2800. I have to admit that the past few weeks, I have struggled to get over 1200.

What are your suggestions?

On a side note, I am mainly concerned about losing muscle. I've lost almost 12 pounds in nearly 8 weeks and sometimes my calorie intake has been sketchy. Recently, I've lost very little weight. Any suggestions will help. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer!

Thanks in advance.

fabians94
03-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Hey folks,

I've been reading around, plugging my numbers into various sites with various calculators in an attempt to pinpoint a number calorie intake number to help me lose weight. I figure I would ask for some opinions here because after searching through some threads, most of you guys seem like a solid, knowledgeable bunch!

I am 6'0, 237.5 lbs. I started exercising via P90X in mid-January. I started at 249 lbs. The P90X nutrition plan has me at 3000 calories a day and I can honestly say I have never hit that mark (honestly, with wife and kid, I never seem to have enough food in the house to do so). Most websites and calendars I plug my information in seems to put me between 2600-2800. I have to admit that the past few weeks, I have struggled to get over 1200.

On a side note, I am mainly concerned about losing muscle. I've lost almost 12 pounds in nearly 8 weeks and sometimes my calorie intake has been sketchy. Recently, I've lost very little weight. Any suggestions will help. If you have any questions, I will be glad to answer!

Thanks in advance.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Eat at a slight deficit to maintain most of your muscle mass.

mattypoole
03-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Hey folks,

Thanks in advance.

If you're eating only 1200 for several weeks then it's likely you're killing LBM which burns calories, plus your metabolism will start to slow if you stick to an excessive caloric deficit over time.

Bottom line: you need to eat more; things like a jar of peanut butter will provide a cheap source of calories that you can work into your intake.

Have you calculated your macro nutrient intake, and what's your approximate body fat %?

Edit: if you're just guessing your caloric intake then it's likely you're eating more than you think, it's a mistake many people make when doing so in an effort to drop body fat.

SaylorR
03-01-2012, 08:53 PM
If you're eating only 1200 for several weeks then it's likely you're killing LBM which burns calories, plus your metabolism will start to slow if you stick to an excessive caloric deficit over time.

Bottom line: you need to eat more; things like a jar of peanut butter will provide a cheap source of calories that you can work into your intake.

Have you calculated your macro nutrient intake, and what's your approximate body fat %?

Edit: if you're just guessing your caloric intake then it's likely you're eating more than you think, it's a mistake many people make when doing so in an effort to drop body fat.

Peanut Butter sandwiches for lunch have been a saving grace on terms of calories. The past couple of days, I have made an effort of eating two. I throw some peanut butter on toast in the morning to either go with oatmeal and raisins or eggs/turkey bacon. Dinner is almost always some variation of chicken breast, but I have a hard time getting through an entire dinner. I have two protein shakes a day as well, the second is a post-workout with creatine.

I haven't sat down with these items and calculated exactly how much I've been taking in, so you could be totally correct on my miscalculations. I'm so ready to drop these pounds that I sometimes forget to take it slow and calculate everything.

On terms of body fat %, I haven't measure it yet. What do you guys find as the best tool to do this?

yieldtonothing
03-01-2012, 09:07 PM
op is trolling

he's fat and claiming to be eating 1200 calories a day

give me a break

SaylorR
03-02-2012, 04:18 AM
op is trolling

he's fat and claiming to be eating 1200 calories a day

give me a break

OP doesn't exactly know the number of calories he's eating because he hasn't counted them, only estimated. Just because people aren't 100% on their numbers, doesn't mean they're trolling. I can promise you that there have been several days where I've only eaten, at the most, 1200 calories because there have been days where I've only eaten one or two small meals.

Thanks to the two of you who sent legitimate responses. I'll look into those, tally up the calories of a typical meal for me, then come back so there's more to go by.