PDA

View Full Version : How to put a good diet together

GNoulez
02-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi

First off, the title might be confusing. This is NOT a guide on how to put your diet together. I am merely in need of a little help.

I'm male, 18 years old. Stats:
173 cm (roughly 5'8")
63 kg (roughly 140 lbs)

I intend to go on an IF diet. Around 16 hours of fasting combined with 8 hours of eating, more or less. I'll be eating my first meal at roughly 1:30 PM, second meal 4 or 5 PM, third meal 8 PM. Working out will probably be around 6-7 PM, considering I sometimes have classes until 6 PM.

I have calculated my needs as such:

Resting days:
1680 kcals
210 g protein
100 g carbohydrates
50 g fat

Training days:
2240 kcals
210 g protein
237,5 g carbohydrates
50 g fat

I will be combining this eating plan with Starting Strength.

Now, we arrive at the place I have problems with. How do you go about designing your meal plans around these needs? I have absolutely no idea how to compose the right meals beforehand, and having them all fit into these macronutrient needs. If someone could help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

WonderPug
02-28-2012, 12:41 PM
What's your estimated BMR and TDEE? And I presume you're trying to bulk, correct?

GNoulez
02-28-2012, 12:45 PM
What's your estimated BMR and TDEE? And I presume you're trying to bulk, correct?

Didn't do an estimate of my BMR and TDEE, because I don't have a very good idea about what my BF% is. Instead, I used a more basic method to determine caloric needs: 12 kcals per lbs on resting days, 16 kcals per lbs on training days.

And yes, my goal is to bulk, but a relatively clean one. Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid to get big. But I do not want to get fat.

Edit:
For the sake of this thread I tried to do an estimate for you.

Using the Mifflin-St Jeor method without taking BF into account I got an estimated BMR of around 1600
Using the Katch-McArdle method with estimating my bodyfat between 14 and 16%, I got an estimated BMR between 1510 and 1540.

GNoulez
02-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Bump, surely someone must be able to help me with this.

nobrah
02-29-2012, 05:16 AM
I could have sworn I replied to this thread. Oh well.

Didn't do an estimate of my BMR and TDEE, because I don't have a very good idea about what my BF% is.

You don't need to know what your BF% is to do a reasonable estimate. Adding BF% in just refines the estimate, which is mostly helpful for people who are on extreme ends of the spectrum, in my opinion.

Instead, I used a more basic method to determine caloric needs: 12 kcals per lbs on resting days, 16 kcals per lbs on training days.

In my experience, 12 x weight is a good and simple way to get a number in the ballpark of your BMR. Even if you're sedentary on resting days, I'd still recommend somewhere closer to 2000 as your TDEE.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not afraid to get big. But I do not want to get fat.

Contradictory statements are contradictory unless by big you mean muscular, in which case nonsensical statements are nonsensical. ;) Anyway, on to answering your original question...

How do you go about designing your meal plans around these needs? I have absolutely no idea how to compose the right meals beforehand, and having them all fit into these macronutrient needs.

Find foods you like that fit into your macros for the day, then subtract the macros from your totals until you end up with zero across the board. This means you need to figure out what macros make up your food choices and do a bit of arithmetic. You can plan your meals ahead of time, or do ad hoc calculations as the day goes by. It's largely irrelevant when and how much you eat as far as meeting your macros goes, so don't feel pressured to come up with a traditional meal plan.

BDeblo
02-29-2012, 05:39 AM
Eat the foods you enjoy when you're hungry in the proportions that allow you to meet your macros. No need for a meal plan as long as you have self control to eat nutrient dense foods for the majority of your diet and can stop when you have filled your macros. Use an online calorie tracker (or phone app if you have a smart phone) to keep track of your macros throughout the day. I use fatsecret, but fitday and livestrong as well as others will do what you need.

andrerox80
02-29-2012, 07:41 AM
your bmr is 1600? what is your maintenance? regardless, makes no sense to basically be eating at your bmr on rest days. figure out your maintenance and make sure you're at a surplus, even on rest days. also not sure why you make it more complicated by having different intakes on w/o vs non-w/o days, but a lot of people do this. but my thought is that since muscles grow during rest and recovery, they need as much fuel. also, someone on the female forum said something i really like. that rest day cals help you recover from the previous day's w/o while also preparing your body for the next day's w/o. again, though, i know a lot of people like having the disparity, sometimes for psychological reasons. how you do your meal plan is up to you. once you really figure out what you need, you're set. some plan in advance (much easier for me) and some just figure things out as they go. you know abt sites like livestrong where you can track everything, right?