PDA

View Full Version : Some help on my diet

ctg23
02-28-2012, 03:37 AM
i made a thread yesterday about a diet i was thinking of trying in order to bulk up, but it was quickly poiinted out i was approaching it the wrong way.

so ive done some more research, and i think i have it nailed down, but just thought i could do with some more opinions as yesterday didnt go so well lol

so based on a BMR calculator on another site, it has recommended i need 3595 calories.
(worked out using these stats: bodyweight 230, height 78inches, 25 years old, male and moderatly active (3-5 days a week)
link to calculator http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html

ive then read my macros should be ,
protein should be 30% of calories/4 = how many per day
carbs should be 50% of calories/4= how many per day
fat should be 20% of calories/9= how many per day

using 3595 as a starting point gives me:
Protein: 270
Carbs: 450
Fat: 80

is this realistic, i remember in the other thread people were saying my fat intake should be around 120 but i cant find any info to back this up.

WonderPug
02-28-2012, 03:48 AM
You still didn't bother reading the sticky that you were linked to, which is unfortunate.

Do yourself a favor and read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981&p=436716771#post436716771

ctg23
02-28-2012, 04:21 AM
i have tried reading that, but each time i get lost when trying to estimate my requirments.

i see that on the other website they used the Harris Bennedict formula, which i see is not recommended here. i would like to use the katch mcardle one, but i dont know my body fat %

Then the activity factor i need to multiply things by gets me as well, i have a desk job but workout 4/5 days a week so not sure which category i would sit in, as im inactive during the day and active in the evening.

not trying to be a pain the ass, but im a complete novice when it comes to nutrition.

fabians94
02-28-2012, 04:49 AM
i have tried reading that, but each time i get lost when trying to estimate my requirments.

i see that on the other website they used the Harris Bennedict formula, which i see is not recommended here. i would like to use the katch mcardle one, but i dont know my body fat %

Then the activity factor i need to multiply things by gets me as well, i have a desk job but workout 4/5 days a week so not sure which category i would sit in, as im inactive during the day and active in the evening.

not trying to be a pain the ass, but im a complete novice when it comes to nutrition.

Taking the fact that you do not know your BF%, I'd use the Mifflin-St Jeor formula. Or if you're sceptical, I'm sure if you post a picture up many members will be willing to offer you some help with estimating your BF%.

The fact you workout 4-5 days a week puts you into the 1.5-1.6 category. It'll be a personal choice when it comes to choosing between 1.5/1.6 and also the % at you wish to bulk at (10%-20%). Shouldn't be that hard to estimate.

nobrah
02-28-2012, 05:30 AM

Following are nobrah's super simple get started as quickly as possible macro/calorie guesstimation rules:

Estimate your BMR: 12 x weight
Estimate protein: 1g x weight = Daily grams x 4 = protein kcal
Estimate dietary fat: .5g x weight = Daily grams x 9 = fat kcal
Estimate TDEE from activity: multiplier x BMR
Multipliers:
Sedentary = 1.2
Lightly active = 1.375
Moderately active = 1.55
Very active = 1.725
Estimate discretionary kcal: TDEE - (protein kcal + fat kcal)

I recommend being very conservative with the activity multiplier until you have some trends to use for adjustment. So, at 230lbs and with a conservative activity of between sedentary and lightly active you get these starting estimates:

~BMR = 2760 kcal
TDEE = BMR x 1.3 = 3588 kcal

Daily Protein: 230g x 4 kcal = 920 kcal
Daily Fat: 115g x 9 kcal = 1035 kcal
Daily Discretionary: 1633 kcal

Your calorie total for the day is 3588. At least 920 of those must come from protein, 1035 must come from dietary fat, and the rest can be whatever you want.

Tips:

These are only estimates. Be prepared to adjust the totals as soon as you get consistent empirical data.
As your body changes, you'll discover the need to recalculate to continue making progress.
While carbs aren't treated as essential in these estimates, they provide both fiber and primary energy. So your discretionary calories should include various carb sources.
Be mindful of vitamins, minerals, and fiber when making food choices.

psychodiver9
02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
You read the sticky but can't comprehend the difference between a target amount in grams and a ratio?

andrerox80
02-28-2012, 07:27 AM
You read the sticky but can't comprehend the difference between a target amount in grams and a ratio?

my thoughts exactly.

WonderPug
02-28-2012, 07:32 AM
i have tried reading that, but each time i get lost when trying to estimate my requirments.With all due respect, if the stickies are too confusing for you then I suggest that you focus on a bit of remedial education as your first priority and then refocus on fitness afterwards.

ctg23
02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
thanks nobrah for explaining it simply to me. makes a bit more sense now.

just need to load up on food now!

FitnessCPA
02-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Nobrah, that's a terrific post.

I'd recommend changing "Daily Protein" and "Daily Fat" to "Minimum Daily Protein" and "Minimum Daily Fat."

I'd also make the BMR formula 11 x weight and add in a 1.90 activity factor for extremely active.

But I'm just nitpicking. Nice job.