PDA

View Full Version : Help! About to Give up...

Mctweeds
02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
So i have been reading alot of topics on many different threads trying to figure out the best way for me to eat and caloric and macronutrient needs. I have a few questions if anyone is willing to help, i have read Emma-Leigh's stickys and when trying to figure out BMR she gave a few formulas, none of which seemed to work for those who 5e overweight. I am about 5'8, and weigh between 203-206.5(scale goes between that everyday :C)I go on the elliptical 6 days a week for 20 minutes and weightlift 3 of those days as well but i havent been able to lose weight. What is my BMR? how many calories should i eat a day to begin losing weight..? How much of that should be Carbs/Fats/Protein. Is 3 square meals a day enough or do i need this intense 6 meal cut? im in college so its hard to manage 6 meals a day, and would like to just learn the right foods to cook myself 3 healthy meals a day instead of eating poorly. Thank you so much for your time, and a preemptive thank you for the help im hoping for =)

mattypoole
02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
So i have been reading alot of topics on many different threads trying to figure out the best way for me to eat and caloric and macronutrient needs. I have a few questions if anyone is willing to help, i have read Emma-Leigh's stickys and when trying to figure out BMR she gave a few formulas, none of which seemed to work for those who 5e overweight. I am about 5'8, and weigh between 203-206.5(scale goes between that everyday :C)I go on the elliptical 6 days a week for 20 minutes and weightlift 3 of those days as well but i havent been able to lose weight. What is my BMR? how many calories should i eat a day to begin losing weight..? How much of that should be Carbs/Fats/Protein. Is 3 square meals a day enough or do i need this intense 6 meal cut? im in college so its hard to manage 6 meals a day, and would like to just learn the right foods to cook myself 3 healthy meals a day instead of eating poorly. Thank you so much for your time, and a preemptive thank you for the help im hoping for =)

Better to work with a figure that is not likely accurate than none at all and just winging it. Use the stickies to work out an intake and then adjust as you see what the results are over time.

We have no way of knowing your BMR without knowing what % of body fat you are, as your LBM is your total weight minus your fat weight.

Go for 0.45 grams of fat per pound of LBM and 1 g of protein per pound of LBM, making up the rest of your daily caloric intake with a combination of fat/protein/carbs to suit your own preferences (obviously requires you to work out your approximate LBM ":)).

You don't need to eat 6 meals a day, there's nothing wrong with 3.

Mctweeds
02-25-2012, 08:16 PM
im at 23.6% BF. Thank you for letting me know the meal amounts!

mattypoole
02-25-2012, 08:18 PM
im at 23.6% BF. Thank you for letting me know the meal amounts!

Nps.

Your LBM = total weight - (total weight * 0.236)

Mctweeds
02-25-2012, 08:28 PM
what does LBM stand for? and mean to me

TheMerch
02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
what does LBM stand for? and mean to me

Lean Body Mass

Your bmr is about 1900. TDEE around 2600. Eat 2000 calories and you will see results.

Also re-read the stickies. If you don't know what LBM is you haven't retained what you read well enough.

Mctweeds
02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Actually understanding a bit better now! Thanks alot

DFA
02-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I found 20 min elliptical to not show much for me for losing fat. I bumped it up to 30min and noticed a HUGE difference.

Mctweeds
02-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Would eating in the 1300 range be detrimental? would it cause me to retain fat? Thank you DFA ill try that

Kahldris
02-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Would eating in the 1300 range be detrimental? would it cause me to retain fat? Thank you DFA ill try that

Eating at such a big deficit will likely make you lose fat AND muscle, as well as be unhealthy overall.

FitnessCPA
02-25-2012, 09:19 PM
BMR: 1,926
Activity factor: 1.4
TDEE: 2,696
Less 15% to lose weight: 2,292 calories per day

Protein: 180 grams per day
Fat: 100 grams per day
Carbs: 168 grams per day

Make sure to get sufficient micronutrients as well.

Eating three times per day is perfectly fine.

jaxfitguy
02-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Eating at such a big deficit will likely make you lose fat AND muscle, as well as be unhealthy overall.
agreed^ AND, when you lose weight too fast, you will look skinny and soft. Even worse, it will slow down your metabolism.