PDA

View Full Version : Interested in opinions on this

frankturner1982
02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/11_training_tips_for_the_skinny_fat_ectomorph

I have to say, I am skinny fat but dont fall into most of what he says, and I disagree with a lot of it, like don't do powerlifting reps, so don't do a starting strength type routine, and you must carb cycle!

It's assuming a lot.

But I'm newbie so maybe he is right, I dunno, just seems like a lot of bs to me?

Yes, traditional bulking allows you to gain more muscle when compared to the infamous "clean" bulk. But we skinny fats are terrible nutrient partitioners, so more of our excess calories are stored as fat, not used for muscle. This means that without performance enhancing substances, our cuts will be so long and intense that most of the muscular gains wither away.

We don't prosper in malnourished environments very well. Hell, we don't even prosper in nourished environments. Going through the whole bulking thing isn't worth the roller coaster of weight fluctuation and the filling (or perhaps creation) of fat cells.

He doesnt say what you should do though, eat at mainteance? (though i noticed he recommended a supp right below it).

Would be interested in opinions on it.

frankturner1982
02-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Is T-nation reputable? Ive heard and read on the site before but dont know the general feeling about the site.

TheHolyCannoli
02-25-2012, 03:12 PM
After reading through that page, I wouldn't even need to necessarily know anything about nutrition or training to feel skeptical. They make absurdly generalized statements about "ectopmorphs". In regards to weight gain/loss, every human body essentially operates on the calories-in, calories-out rule, outside of having some kind of metabolic disorder.

I think people unconsciously try to complicate fat loss/muscle gain. Unless you are approaching your genetic limits of minimal BF% or maximal muscle mass, calories in/out still trumps just about everything else.

WonderPug
02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Is T-nation reputable?As reputable as a used car salesman on the last day of the month.

Kahldris
02-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Is T-nation reputable? Ive heard and read on the site before but dont know the general feeling about the site.

Alot of the articles on T-nation are equivilant to the supersite here on BB.com.

(that meaning they are full of bro-science and usually trying to sell you something)