PDA

View Full Version : Sippin Real Tea: The Red Sox will finish in 3rd in the AL East

PitBillSoxFan
02-23-2012, 12:19 PM
real twalk.

Back of the rotation sucks
Entire BP is questionable
Moved our 2 best non-Papelbon BP arms in 2011 to the rotation
Bottom half of the lineup is trash

brb $170M payroll with Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney at corner OF
brb $170M payroll with Mike Aviles and Nick Punto battling it out for starting SS
brb brb

sups31
02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
pretty much.

inb4 bobby v is drinking beer in the clubhouse.

problemz
02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Baltimore
NY
Boston
Rays
Toronto

real talk
srs

taxe91
02-23-2012, 01:06 PM
sox for the wild card

Realism
02-23-2012, 01:16 PM
A lot of people are picking them to finish 3rd. Who knows, maybe they'll play better without the hype. They still have a pretty good offense, with ****ria, Youkilis, Gonzalez, Ellsbury, Ortiz and Crawford (if he shows up this year). They had the best offense in the league last season but their pitching imploded between Buchholz going down and the club house stuff. I'm interested in seeing Bard start, he was drafted as a starter but didn't really have a lot of success due to underdeveloped secondary pitches and a straight fastball but his stuff is better now.

I would be surprised if they won the AL East but I could see them winning the Wild Card. I think people may be underestimating them but that's fair considering what happened last season. If the starters perform well and their offense performs at the same level, they may go into the 8th/9th with a big enough lead to minimize their weakness in the bullpen.

SOXGUY80
02-23-2012, 01:36 PM
At least Bobby V will bring the lulz this season.

jrod7707
02-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Ill take an optimistic approach.

I say Crawford bounces back. This will be the equivalent of making a strong off season move.

I think Cody Ross will hold his own. He's good enough to pepper the monster. And will stay healthier than Drew did over the last 4 years.

Pedey, Gonzo and Ellsbury will consistant.

I expect Papi's avg to drop but still expect 25 & 90.

I dont expect Salty and Shoppach to do much. Maybe some power out of Shoppach though. Upgrade from Tek's offense.

I have to believe Youk will find his swing again. He struggled with injuries last year.

And short...well...I dont think they will provide much offense. Punto is a solid defender. Definitely a downgrade overall. I just keep telling myself they are better than the 2007 WS Champ SS Julio Lugo who couldn't hit, field or throw.

I think the bullpen will be ok. All of these veterans that were signed in the off season will have to make the team and join the pen. They will be expected to pitch good to stay. I think Melancon and Bailey will be a solid 8-9. Rich Hill also rehabbing well. Will be a nice lefty to acquire mid season. I would like to see Aceves stay in the pen.

#1-3 starters will be strong. I can't say how good Bard will be. Honestly think 10-10 or so. #5 starter will hopefully be the Bartono Colon of last year. Maybe the veterans will come through, maybe not.

96 wins.

perfectworld.jpg

canuckathlete
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
nah... there's no way the Ray's finish 4th

WheyneNewton
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, Rays had a very good under the radar offseason. they are going to be very good this year. Full year of Jennings and Moore, Longoria will bounce back, addition of Pena is big too. They also added Fernando Rodney and Jose Molina who will both contribute.

Rays top 4 are insane: Price/Shields/Hellickson/Moore - that's gotta be one of the top 2 or 3 if not the top rotation in the league.

magicmatt
02-23-2012, 02:34 PM
lol @ 73 reps

reLaxx1
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Rays have the best rotation and defense in the AL, if not the league. We upgraded out offense. We're a lock for 2nd in the division for sure, not sure if we'll be able to top the Yankees. But, tbh their starting pitching signings are over rated, so there is a chance.

Rays top 4 are insane: Price/Shields/Hellickson/Moore - that's gotta be one of the top 2 or 3 if not the top rotation in the league.

I'd actually like to trade Shields this year, since he won't be here after this season. His deal is up and we won't be able to pay him. But I guess we kinda have our hands tied because if we trade him this year, we'd lose our big advantage at the top of our rotation. Sucks both ways. We have 7 starting pitchers fighting for spots in a 6 man rotation. Such a good problem to have.

bbacn123
02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Sox fans are pathetic. Everything at your disposal and you still anticipate failure. I have no respect for this fan base.

RyzinEnagy
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Melancon is the next top closer and he'll replace Bard and eventually Pap just fine. I wish we still had him. But yeah, 3rd it is.

Corey_Ellis
02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Melancon is the next top closer and he'll replace Bard and eventually Pap just fine. I wish we still had him. But yeah, 3rd it is.
They're going into the season with Bailey at the closer. Melancon will likely setup.

WheyneNewton
02-23-2012, 03:07 PM
I'd actually like to trade Shields this year, since he won't be here after this season. His deal is up and we won't be able to pay him. But I guess we kinda have our hands tied because if we trade him this year, we'd lose our big advantage at the top of our rotation. Sucks both ways. We have 7 starting pitchers fighting for spots in a 6 man rotation. Such a good problem to have.

I think they'll hold on to him and try to make a deep run this year, but I wouldn't be shocked if they traded him at the deadline for a sizable haul if it appears they can get into the playoffs without him. They can go Price/Moore/Hellickson for most of the starts in the playoffs and one of Davis/Niemann/Cobb could be a good enough #4.

Obviously this is unlikely but imagine if the Royals convinced Oswalt to sign there then picked up Shields. Their farm system is deep enough to make it happen. That would be intradasting.

rippedandforty
02-23-2012, 03:35 PM
You trying that reverse psychology bro?

Last year you posted the Sox as the best team of all time. We see what that got you

jrod7707
02-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Last year you posted the Sox as the best team of all time. We see what that got you

Dat dere superstition.

taxe91
02-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Sox fans are pathetic. Everything at your disposal and you still anticipate failure. I have no respect for this fan base.

im sure all sox fans will be deeply disappointed to lose your respect

89FoxBody
02-23-2012, 05:29 PM
9 years since nomar left and still no legit shortstop, lolz were had.

and lol @ thinking the lil injin that could will repeat last season, get real.

PitBillSoxFan
02-24-2012, 03:19 AM

Take away the first 2-weeks and last month of the season and we had about a 130-game stretch where we were one of the best teams in baseball history

Yank11
02-24-2012, 06:44 AM
inb4 "sox are the best team in the league after they start 2-0"

danbuc
02-24-2012, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, Rays had a very good under the radar offseason. they are going to be very good this year. Full year of Jennings and Moore, Longoria will bounce back, addition of Pena is big too. They also added Fernando Rodney and Jose Molina who will both contribute.

I know I'm so stoked for this season I have to fap constantly.. not to mention Davis/Niemann/Cobb fighting for the 5th spot with Chris Archer and Alex Torres waiting in the wings Oh Lawd....Cant wait till April!!

reLaxx1
02-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Take away the first 2-weeks and last month of the season and we had about a 130-game stretch where we were one of the best teams in baseball historyYou do know the Rays were awful the first 2 weeks of the season, right? On par with how bad the Sox were.

WheyneNewton
02-24-2012, 02:39 PM
You do know the Rays were awful the first 2 weeks of the season, right? On par with how bad the Sox were.

aka the Manny era lol

Brandman316
02-24-2012, 02:42 PM
And why should we believe you?

Almost all of your predictions/statements about the Sox turn out to be wrong or stupid.

Wouldn't shock me if this team finishes third in the AL East, or wins a Title to be honest... Season could go either way

Greg1983
02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Why the hell aren't they signing Oswalt? Their rotation blows and he wants a one year deal. It makes too much sense.

WheyneNewton
02-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Why the hell aren't they signing Oswalt? Their rotation blows and he wants a one year deal. It makes too much sense.

they won't expand payroll more than a few mil and idk I Oswalt wants to go that far from home. think he prefers Rangers or Cards becuase they're closer.

Corey_Ellis
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
they won't expand payroll more than a few mil and idk I Oswalt wants to go that far from home. think he prefers Rangers or Cards becuase they're closer.
Bingo.

The Sox offered Oswalt's people a deal. If the Cardinals or Rangers offered him the same deal, he would have signed. He doesn't want to play in Boston.

Quite frankly, he's better off. Boston can be a crummy place to play if you dont live up to expectations. I cant say I blame him for wanting to stay home and play somewhere close at this point in his career. He'll be fresh when he signs at the deadline, too. Not a bad plan.

IraHays
02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Andrew Bailey is very good and will be fine.

That said they will still finished 3rd.

Go Rays.