PDA

View Full Version : can you see if my macros are in check? (reps for help as usual)

psychnurse2012
02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
alright, today is my first day on a cut. first time on a cut period. as you can see by my stats, i am 160 lbs. i plan to cut to 145 lbs. my maintenance calories is about 2100. i am cutting with 1900 for now, then reducing it to 1800 calories and hopefully coming down to the end of my cut, be at 1700 calories, give or take.

anyhow, this is my macros. does it look good? i am just following IIFYM, also intermittent fasting when i can. just eating on a deficit and calling it a day. also, i train 3 times a week.

Carbohydrates: 230 g

Protein: 126 g ( i am about 128 lbs of LBM)

Fats: 52 g

*Note: i am using a calorie counter, and it gives all my macros a Good, grade. i am not carb cycling or anything of the sort. using a weight gainer as a meal replacement, on times when i can't hit my calories for whatever reason (busy day, etc.)

reps for anyone who just answers with something useful, first.

thanks.

jon1995
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
hey bro

I would decrease carbs to 200grams, increase protein to 160 grams and fat to 55 grams, so 160/200/55 p/c/f

A few more calories but you can adjust as usually, JIMHO

lee__d
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Lyle Mcondonald uses BW * 14-16 for maintenance http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html
so 160* 15 = 2400>>>20% deficit would be around 1900, so the deficit looks fine.

onto the macros, using the sticky
Fat should be .35 * bw (emma doesnt recommend any lower), which is 56g for u. so i'd up fats to around 60g

I like 1g/lb of protein when cutting. It may be excessive, but no harm no foul (and the possible benefits can be reaped).
so 160g pro

fat/pro=1180 cals leaving about 720 for cho (or a combo of fat/pro/cho)
so about 180g for cho.

do it, track progrss, adjust

psychnurse2012
02-23-2012, 11:48 AM
hey bro

I would decrease carbs to 200grams, increase protein to 160 grams and fat to 55 grams, so 160/200/55 p/c/f

A few more calories but you can adjust as usually, JIMHO

got any reasoning behind this?

psychnurse2012
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Lyle Mcondonald uses BW * 14-16 for maintenance http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-to-estimate-maintenance-caloric-intake.html
so 160* 15 = 2400>>>20% deficit would be around 1900, so the deficit looks fine.

onto the macros, using the sticky
Fat should be .35 * bw (emma doesnt recommend any lower), which is 56g for u. so i'd up fats to around 60g

I like 1g/lb of protein when cutting. It may be excessive, but no harm no foul (and the possible benefits can be reaped).
so 160g pro

fat/pro=1180 cals leaving about 720 for cho (or a combo of fat/pro/cho)
so about 180g for cho.

do it, track progrss, adjust

interesting.

is cho, carbs? lol sorry, never saw that before.

also, i will check out that link you provided.

reps for that detailed information.

jon1995
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
got any reasoning behind this?

i would like to see protein at the very lowest at 1 gram per pound of bw especially on a cut so lowering carbs by 30 and adding 34 grams to protein sounds about right. My reasoning for bumping fat up to 55 grams? None, i just feel you should start there..if your not losing on that decrease fats by 5 grams and carbs by 20 grams

Devils212
02-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Your protein is hitting the target, but your fat is below by a few grams so bump it up to 57 or 60 to be on the safe side. Carbs are fine as long as they make up your deficit.

lee__d
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
interesting.

is cho, carbs? lol sorry, never saw that before.

also, i will check out that link you provided.

reps for that detailed information.

yes cho=carb
carbon, hydrogen, oxygen

will hit u on recharge

psychnurse2012
02-23-2012, 11:59 AM
i would like to see protein at the very lowest at 1 gram per pound of bw especially on a cut so lowering carbs by 30 and adding 34 grams to protein sounds about right. My reasoning for bumping fat up to 55 grams? None, i just feel you should start there..if your not losing on that decrease fats by 5 grams and carbs by 20 grams

alright got yah. the consensus is to increase my fats. so i will definitely do that.

Your protein is hitting the target, but your fat is below by a few grams so bump it up to 57 or 60 to be on the safe side. Carbs are fine as long as they make up your deficit.

alright, glad carbs are fine. will continue with carbs at this level, and adjust if necessary. consensus yet again is 60 grams for fats. will definitely do this then.

yes cho=carb
carbon, hydrogen, oxygen

will hit u on recharge

so sad i did chemistry courses and biology courses and forgot that lol

if you don't get me back on r.c, it's cool. you were very helpful :)

psychnurse2012
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM

imma get you on r.c, gave too much out for today.

sharpieblet
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
just so everyone understands, OP is female don't let the impressive bicep pic fool ya! i believe your macros are pretty good if you just raise your fats some and lower carbs a tad to accomplish it. i honestly think the protein would be sufficient, but if you wanted peace of mind you could lower carbs a tad further to increase protein some more, but i don't think it'll really be necessary. if you feel fine on that amount of fat, stick with it before changing it. my fat intake is usually around the same amount give or take 10 grams, mainly b/c the majority of what i eat is just low in fat (by coincidence, i don't avoid fat it just kinda happens with the foods i prefer) and it hasn't felt like it's affected my hormones or mood any, so the same may go for you. good luck! you're gonna look sick by the end of your cut.