PDA

View Full Version : Bulking, calories and water weight

Vanitouses
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm 155lbs 6,1 and I just started bulking on 3200 calories daily, that's about 500 surplus which sound ok for a slower bulk. The thing is that I gained 2lbs after my first bulking day. I know most of it is water but how can I measure my weekly gains to check if 3200 calories are enough if I gain water weight as well as muscles. I'll increase my potassium to get rid of some of the water.

jonnycook
02-21-2012, 01:10 AM
Any change in diet (especially if it's drastic) is going to cause your body to do something in response (generally storing water is one of them). Just keep at it for at least a week, preferably two and see how it goes from there. Don't start making changes and panicking based on one day on a new diet. You need to be patient and make well thought-out changes over time, not on a whim based on an unexpected scale readout.

Vanitouses
02-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Ok thanks for the relief.

And is this water going to decrease by itself after some time or I should try to decrease sodium, sugar etc to help it do away!

Thanks!

psychodiver9
02-21-2012, 02:58 AM
How many threads did you make on this topic? Tempted

jonnycook
02-21-2012, 11:19 PM
Just keep doing what you're doing. It's changes in sodium intake that affect water retention, not the baseline level itself. Give it time. Also, if you're one of those people that freaks out over day-to-day changes in weight readings, I recommend weighing yourself less often. Or better yet, relax a little and don't let scales dictate what you do

AlwaysTryin
02-22-2012, 12:51 AM
How many threads did you make on this topic? Tempted

It's your turn, I get all the others ;)

Ristretto
02-22-2012, 01:41 AM
Every gram of extra glycogen you store binds 2.7 grams of water. So if you start storing 200g of extra glycogen when hitting a surplus, the glycogen alone would cause a weight gain of 540 grams. On top of that the surplus will probably result in more extracellular fluid, especially during the first week.