PDA

View Full Version : Cheat day/carb refeed

BoS5
02-20-2012, 04:09 PM
How often would you recommend a full out cheat day and a carb refeed, while on a cut. I was thinking atleast once a week for carb and maybe once every 2 weeks for a cheat day where you go over board. (eating a whole pizza, etc.)

pshickey
02-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Never...

psychodiver9
02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Ceat day rarely if ever. What is your deficit and macro intake? Why do you feel the need to cheat?

Vasyok
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
It's really up to you. I personally believe there's no need for a "cheat/refeed". It's probably more a psychological thing. Maybe you could change your diet and fit some "cheat" food into your macros from time to time.

Amir11
02-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Did this last night with a huge carbup meal consisting of 2 cups of rice/muffin/bananas n ice cream.
Once every two weeks is when I'm gonna do it

BoS5
02-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I feel the need for it to spike my metabolism.

Deficit is at about 500-750. Lost about 5 lbs in 4 weeks.

germaine07
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I feel the need for it to spike my metabolism.

Deficit is at about 500-750. Lost about 5 lbs in 4 weeks.
Thats seems a rather large deficit and 5lbs in 4weeks hints at indications you may be sparing muscle in your quest to lose weight.
What are your stats?
Whats your maintenance?

Vasyok
02-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Thats seems a rather large deficit and 5lbs in 4weeks hints at indications you may be sparing muscle in your quest to lose weight.
What are your stats?
Whats your maintenance?

I don't agree. Deficit and weight loss look pretty reasonable IMO. If you cheat it's because you want it. Don't try to "justify" it to yourself by saying your body needs it, because this is probably not the case. But you can easily fit a cheat day into your maintenance macros if you prefer to do so.

Fgenetics15
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM

This is WRONG.

I have a refeed 1x week on saturdays for about 6-8 hours when I eat anything I want while trying to keep carbs high and fat level lower.
It simply works for me

BoS5
02-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks on the replies. I think I will try to minimize cheating. And just maybe have a cheat meal high in carbs once a week or something of that nature

pshickey
02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
How about construct a proper re-feed... Gorging on a pizza every once in a while like you were suggesting is different.

BoS5
02-20-2012, 05:10 PM
How about construct a proper re-feed... Gorging on a pizza every once in a while like you were suggesting is different.

Are you referring to have 'x' amount of carbs on that specific day? I can't agree with that, if that's what you mean.

mattypoole
02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks on the replies. I think I will try to minimize cheating. And just maybe have a cheat meal high in carbs once a week or something of that nature

I do once a week and that's been working well for me whilst cutting.

I do agree that having some targets macro & calorie wise make sense.

If you're doing it purely because you want to eat x & giving it no thought beyond that, then it's more a psychological thing.

Do you at least count calories on these cheat days?

germaine07
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't agree. Deficit and weight loss look pretty reasonable IMO. If you cheat it's because you want it. Don't try to "justify" it to yourself by saying your body needs it, because this is probably not the case. But you can easily fit a cheat day into your maintenance macros if you prefer to do so.
How would you know if deficit is reasonable if you dont even know his maintenence? Caloric deficit should be determined by % of maintenence, not a random number.

germaine07
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
This is WRONG.

I have a refeed 1x week on saturdays for about 6-8 hours when I eat anything I want while trying to keep carbs high and fat level lower.
It simply works for me
Can't really say it's WRONG if you yourself don't even know OP's stats. 500-750 may be perfectly fine defecit but at 5'8 and 165lbs, im guessing, Guessing, that it is more than 10% of a deficit and increases the risk of losing LBM, of which he would not have an awful lot of at 165lbs. Could be totally wrong depending on OP's stats but it's how it appears.

pshickey
02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Are you referring to have 'x' amount of carbs on that specific day? I can't agree with that, if that's what you mean.

There is a thread in the contest prep section "thoughts on re-feeds" they discuss an article on broscience forum about re-feeds, you should read that.

Fgenetics15
02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Can't really say it's WRONG if you yourself don't even know OP's stats. 500-750 may be perfectly fine defecit but at 5'8 and 165lbs, im guessing, Guessing, that it is more than 10% of a deficit and increases the risk of losing LBM, of which he would not have an awful lot of at 165lbs. Could be totally wrong depending on OP's stats but it's how it appears.

You are correct, I cant say its completely wrong but to say losing 5lb over the first 4 weeks of a diet is losing muscle is quite far fetched. Especially at the start of a diet where its not commont to loose between 3-8lbs of water weight.
We are both making assumptions here

germaine07
02-20-2012, 06:01 PM
You are correct, I cant say its completely wrong but to say losing 5lb over the first 4 weeks of a diet is losing muscle is quite far fetched. Especially at the start of a diet where its not commont to loose between 3-8lbs of water weight.
We are both making assumptions here
True, but i wasn't trying to say it all muscle, just merely trying to get the point across that if he eats at too low a deficit, he increases the chances of losing LBM. Just quick glance at height and weight suggests 500-750kcal deficit is at the upper end of weight loss and therefore has a greater chance of losing LBM. 10-15% is all that is necessary.