PDA

View Full Version : " Cheat Meals"

Alaskanchic
02-19-2012, 11:41 PM
I have read many different articles about cheat meals, I am wondering is it good to have a cheat meal once a week?
Or does it really damage all of your hard work. I read that it will actually be good for you to do.

ATC1983
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
How long is a piece of string again?

Generally speaking I have found it helpful. Going completely without junk food caused bouts of crazy eating which got worse the longer one put off taking fatty/sugary food.

senor_mortgage
02-19-2012, 11:49 PM
I have read many different articles about cheat meals, I am wondering is it good to have a cheat meal once a week?
Or does it really damage all of your hard work. I read that it will actually be good for you to do.

Its really a multifaceted thing. A cheat meal's primary benefit IMO is mental. On a cut/diet, there are just some foods that you cannot eat sufficient (satisfying) amounts of because they are too calorically dense. Have some once a week can help people maintain long term adherence to their goals. I don't believe is pure pig out cheats because people who need to lose weight (newbs) got fat because they underestimate/overeat in the first place and will likely destroy a week's worth of progress.

In terms of being good for you, people argue that cheat meals help refuel their bodies (why they are known as refeeds sometimes) by replenishing glycogen and by giving a hormone boost via increased fat intake. This effect is rather dubious as a once a week phenom and I wouldn't plan one solely for any physical benefit. One thing that does work is a full diet "break" where you take 2 weeks off and eat at maintenance. This lets your body recover from prolonged dieting (after several weeks/months) and recharge.

adamrochester
02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
A cheat meal 1x a week is fine if your not in contest prep you can't live life like that it's offseason for a reason :) I used to be anal as but have found better gains not being so strict less cortisol :). If your really worried just guess the macros for it

pshickey
02-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Depends on what you consider a cheat meal. Just try and fit it into your macros as best you can and you will be fine.

AlwaysTryin
02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
A cheat meal 1x a week is fine if your not in contest prep you can't live life like that it's offseason for a reason :) I used to be anal as but have found better gains not being so strict less cortisol :). If your really worried just guess the macros for it
Glad to hear you're past your issues

adamrochester
02-21-2012, 03:38 AM
glad to see you stalk my post :P

HopeSmallwonder
02-21-2012, 07:55 AM
I think a cheat meal once a month, when you are not in contest prep is fine. But I mean " Cheat MEAL" not cheat day. I know personally when I "cheat" if I over do it, and go crazy or only do a "sugar cheat" I feel a lot worst ( crazy upset belly) than I would just upping my carbs for the day, having a spoon of PB and my favorite cheat... REAL pancakes! LOL
Cheats here and there on occasion wont hurt, bindges will.

examorph
02-21-2012, 08:01 AM
I was talking with a very good nutrtion expert on this form in the past, he told me about what we call "Junk Food" you know what I found out?

It amazed me...you can eat anything aslong as it fits your macros, if a Mcdonalds burger fits your daily macros it is ok to have it, people think that eating junk will make physical apperance difference, that might be because it is easy to overeat these types of foods, I agree it is very unhealthy to eat junk food because many contain things like trans fats which are bad for the body but for someone like me who has to eat 4k calories to grow...I would rather eat a burger now and then rather than eating 10x cups of oats daily.

Depending on wether you want to be healthy or not you could really just eat "Cheat Meals" every day ever meal and if your macros are good you will still grow without much fat gain, I know people at the gym who eat rubish all day long and still see there abs, is this healthy...NO! but can it be done? YES...for me a cheat meal would be said to be something that makes me go over my daily macro allowence.

BBqChicken1
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I think a cheat meal once a month, when you are not in contest prep is fine. But I mean " Cheat MEAL" not cheat day. I know personally when I "cheat" if I over do it, and go crazy or only do a "sugar cheat" I feel a lot worst ( crazy upset belly) than I would just upping my carbs for the day, having a spoon of PB and my favorite cheat... REAL pancakes! LOL
Cheats here and there on occasion wont hurt, bindges will.

Amazing. You have a cheat meal but not a cheat day, so you hit your macros for the day, which doesn't make any food a cheat meal!

hungryone15
02-21-2012, 09:03 AM
A cheat meal once every 5-7 days is a great idea. So long as you cheating with somewhat clean foods. Ie cheating with chocolate, high fat- low sugar ice cream, starches like yams or potatoes, are far better choices than cheating with mcdonald's, wheat, candy, etc.

Cheating this often does a number of important things:
Allows you to do a better job of oxidizing and utilizing BCAAs from protein
Increases serotonin (the happy neurotransmitter) and your mood through the additional carbohydrates
Resets leptin levels, allowing you to "restart" the fat burning process once you go back to dieting

All in all, a great idea as long as you cheat with the right foods!

psychodiver9
02-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Lol. I see why you're red

WonderPug
02-21-2012, 09:48 AM
This thread has an astonishingly bounty of utter crap.

How in the world do you think your body knows you've consumed what you call a "cheat meal" when all your body sees is nutrient intake? Is there a specific nutrition or nutrient combination that your body should look for to understand that one meal is somehow a "cheat meal".

BBqChicken1
02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
This thread has an astonishingly bounty of utter crap.

How in the world do you think your body knows you've consumed what you call a "cheat meal" when all your body sees is nutrient intake? Is there a specific nutrition or nutrient combination that your body should look for to understand that one meal is somehow a "cheat meal".

Don't you know? When you pass through Mcdonald's door, your body enters fat storage mode. I thought this was obvious?

psychodiver9
02-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I ate half a pizza Saturday and was still in a deficit while meeting macros. Did I cheat?

WonderPug
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I think the logic goes something like this: if I eat foods with "bad" names, it's a cheat. If I eat the exact same nutrients, but they come from food that doesn't have a "bad" name, then it's not a cheat.

psychodiver9
02-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I think the logic goes something like this: if I eat foods with "bad" names, it's a cheat. If I eat the exact same nutrients, but they come from food that doesn't have a "bad" name, then it's not a cheat.

well according to hungryone you should only cheat with good clean foods so am I cheating every time I eat? Should I just fast? How do you eat clean and avoid catabrolism? I are confrused