PDA

View Full Version : Vegan College Student (Limited time and money)

kerrynet32
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Hey, I have been a vegetarian/vegan since birth. I have been consistently working out for over a year now and have seen huge improvements but I am looking to see if there is a more efficient way to get the amount of protein I need.

I know most of you will suggest a form of vegan protein for a shake or eating a lot of tofu/tempeh.
I don't have the money to constantly buy vegan protein and I don't have enough time in the day to prepare tofu or tempeh for each meal.

The majority of my meals consist of beans (black beans and corn, bean soup, boiled lima beans, canned chick peas, edamame, vegetarian baked beans).
I know most beans don't have complete proteins which is an issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have been stuck at 150 lbs for a few months now and even with consistent eating it is hard to gain more mass.

ParsonBrown
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM
If you are not gaining weight, you need more calories. How much protein are you curently consuming?

WonderPug
02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.Consider eating meat, fish and fowl.

snorkelman
02-15-2012, 12:37 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/qrag51.jpg

Are you willing to consider any changes to that ^^?

kerrynet32
02-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Well, like I said I have been vegetarian/vegan since birth so its not something I can change or want to. I do in fact eat fish/seafood, however being in college, I don't have the money or time to eat fish on a daily basis. I don't like canned tuna.

I probably get about 60g of protein a day. Usually a bean meal (28g), Cliff bar (10g), various other meal (10-15g), and then whatever else I manage to eat.

I do also take C4 pre-workout

snorkelman
02-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Are you willing to use protein powders? They make plenty that are not milk-based.

MikeyMinaj
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Are you willing to use protein powders? They make plenty that are not milk-based.

Yup.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i98/advakidd/uj3371.gif

Or you can try any of those ~*delicious~* soy/vegetable protein from VitaminShoppe.

MikeyMinaj
02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
Oooh!

You could also search for Vegan Groups on BodySpace. Here's one:

http://groups.bodybuilding.com/Veggies_United

snorkelman
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
OP, since you posted this in the nutrition section, I will assume that your goal is to avoid powders, so let me point out these products that may be helpful (of which I am sure you are aware). They are generally low cal and decent protein amounts.

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/content/dam/common/products/MorningStarFarmsSpicyBlackBeanVeggieBurgers_345.jp g

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/content/dam/common/products/MorningStarFarmsGardenVeggiePatties_323.jpg

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/content/dam/common/products/MorningStarFarmsGrillersPrimeVeggieBurgers_325.jpg

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/content/dam/common/products/MorningStarFarmsGrillers14Pounder_20032.jpg

examorph
02-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Lentils are cheap and a good source of protien, combine them with a diet which includes things like grains, nuts and beans the protien is complete.

DarkAvenger
02-15-2012, 01:48 PM
You're a vegan who eats fish? What is that

WonderPug
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
You're a vegan who eats fish? What is thatShe's a pescetarian.

JPL79
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
You're a vegan who eats fish? What is that

I was wondering that too. Vegans eat NO animal products.

As a woman, you may get by as a vegan, but as a man I could never imagine building muscle as a vegan, or even vegetarian for that matter. People will disagree, but for me, there's no doubt. There's no realistic way of getting well over 200 grams of protein a day on a vegan diet. Possible, but you're life will suck. Never mind that they are incomplete proteins.

God created animals for humans to eat. :) (I know I'll get crap for that, LOL)

gonzo1483
02-15-2012, 02:38 PM
Whey protein and eggs can add many inexpensive (and vegetarian) calories to your diet.

A strictly vegan diet will fill you up with fiber. Not good if you want to up your calories.

synthetic
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM

As a woman, you may get by as a vegan, but as a man I could never imagine building muscle as a vegan, or even vegetarian for that matter. People will disagree, but for me, there's no doubt. There's no realistic way of getting well over 200 grams of protein a day on a vegan diet. Possible, but you're life will suck. Never mind that they are incomplete proteins.

bodybuilding.com sells rice and pea protein powder that has as much protein per scoop as whey protein. So it is possible, just your food choices become limited, and its best to avoid the franken-food that snorkelman posted

kerrynet32
02-15-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm a male by the way.

But yea I am avoiding powdered proteins because they tend to be more expensive than what I want to do. I prefer food choices with sufficient protein.

The MorningStar burgers look like a good option and so do the lentils with grains/nuts.

And I'm not what you would call a vegan for diet/religious/animal abuse purposes, only because I was born and raised this way. So the reason I do eat seafood is because I was raised with seafood but no land meat or dairy. Not really a choice for me to change it after 20 years

kerrynet32
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Sorry bro, but this might be the most ignorant thing I've heard. I have gained a ton of muscle since I began weightlifting on my diet. And like I keep saying, the reason I don't eat animals is not because I have a problem with people eating animals, I was raised without it so its not something I can change.

gonzo1483
02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
If your diet doesn't restrict canned tuna I think you should bite the bullet and eat it up.

synthetic
02-15-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm a male by the way.

But yea I am avoiding powdered proteins because they tend to be more expensive than what I want to do. I prefer food choices with sufficient protein.

The MorningStar burgers look like a good option and so do the lentils with grains/nuts.

And I'm not what you would call a vegan for diet/religious/animal abuse purposes, only because I was born and raised this way. So the reason I do eat seafood is because I was raised with seafood but no land meat or dairy. Not really a choice for me to change it after 20 years

i private messaged you a source that is cheap - other wise rice and beans for ya

SirChubalots
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
hemp hearts

JPL79
02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Sorry bro, but this might be the most ignorant thing I've heard. I have gained a ton of muscle since I began weightlifting on my diet. And like I keep saying, the reason I don't eat animals is not because I have a problem with people eating animals, I was raised without it so its not something I can change.

You're 150 lbs and you've "gained a ton of muscle"? I haven't been 150 since I was 11 years old. How skinny were you before?

I didn't say it was impossible to gain muscle being a Vegan, but it would be damn hard to be a bodybuilder.

You say 60 grams a day? That's only sufficient for a sedentary female. I bet you gained your muscle when you were eating fish.

creepa200
02-15-2012, 06:44 PM
I'm vegan also and I eat faux meats pretty much daily. Boca Chicken patties, Boca Vegan Burgers, Lightlife Crumbles, Lightlife Chicken Strips. Each is like 12g of protein per serving. There is so many meals you can make with them too it's insane.

Sauce on either boca burger is like a chicken palm or a meatball sub. Cut up the boca burgers into small pieces and throw it over some pasta. The lightlife crumbles are like hamburger and are great for tacos or vegan shepard pie.The chicken strips are great in stir frys and alone with some veggies.

Look into faux meats cause they definitely help me reach my protein goals for the day. I get Jarrow Rice Protein as my protein and it's 10$ for a 30 day jug. I use it twice a day so it cost's me like 20$ a month for my protein. But I get 48g of protein for $.66 per day.

JPL79
02-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is stopping you from switching to a meat eater other than the fact that you've always been vegetarian? Since your reasons don't include anything against eating animals for example.

It's certainly your choice, but I'm just curious.

My parents just this year became vegan to my amazement. The were moderate to heavy meat eaters for the first 53 years of their lives. They made the switch thinking it was the healthy thing to do (it's not - it's incomplete nutrition IMO). Not animal rights related, or anything. I haven't let them know my opinion though, it's their desire.

Anyone can change their diet to what ever they want unless they have a certain disorder. Don't have to stay with something just because that's what you've always done.

liuzhoudragon
02-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Hey, I have been a vegetarian/vegan since birth. I have been consistently working out for over a year now and have seen huge improvements but I am looking to see if there is a more efficient way to get the amount of protein I need.

I know most of you will suggest a form of vegan protein for a shake or eating a lot of tofu/tempeh.
I don't have the money to constantly buy vegan protein and I don't have enough time in the day to prepare tofu or tempeh for each meal.

The majority of my meals consist of beans (black beans and corn, bean soup, boiled lima beans, canned chick peas, edamame, vegetarian baked beans).
I know most beans don't have complete proteins which is an issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I have been stuck at 150 lbs for a few months now and even with consistent eating it is hard to gain more mass.

I will warn you vegeans/vegetarians don't the warmest of reply on here. Eveyrone really does mean well though. I am mostly vegetarin.

It is hard for me to say a ton based on one post. I don't see any nuts? I am not huge on tofu either. Boiled peants are great....as much restravol (spelling?) as red wine. Almond and brazil nuts are great. Walnuts has much or more 0-mega 3s as salmon....walnuts are great for a meatles diet.

consider a 1-3 cloves of garlic a day. they have a slight ananboic effect. (i recommned it on a full stomach, empthy stomach feels a little naesa at times...never had bad things happen but it normally feels better after some food)

If you are college student = poor me-= below poverty line I can sympathize with the money. The peanuts are normally cheap....boiled is best. you said vegetarian/vegan so i am not sue your stance on eggs and lacto. Eggs are great if you eat them ...quail eggs are higher prtien then chicken eggs....check your local asian groccer to see the price if it is within your budget. Chicken eggs are cheap.

buys some supps would be a good idea.....whey depends on your stance. you can get 2000 grams of microionzed creatine that last you more than a year for a good price. about 9 cents per 5 gram serving.

SumDumGoi
02-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Good lord, what is with everyone suggesting supplements. Getting enough (complete) protein as a vegan may be tricky, but it is possible to do, even if you are on a budget. For general advice, make sure to combine two of the four categories below:

http://stephaniechodges.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/complete-proteins.jpg

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/images/complementary-protein-chart.gif

Here is some basic information to get you started

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/get-enough-protein-veg-diet.php

Yes, you can eat real food and not rely on supplements.

snorkelman
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
...its best to avoid the franken-food that snorkelman posted

Frankenfoods? I'm not suggesting he eat bologna or hot dogs. Take 2 minutes and watch.

AqwfbUbKw1I

synthetic
02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Frankenfoods? I'm not suggesting he eat bologna or hot dogs. Take 2 minutes and watch.

AqwfbUbKw1I

frying oil not cool.

Sarcopenia83
02-16-2012, 10:00 PM
If you eat fish would you be willing to consume eggs and dairy? Both are cheap, convenient, calorie dense protein sources that would help you gain weight. There is always whey powder as well if you go this route.

Otherwise eat seeds and grains such as quinoa, hemp, chia seeds along with your lentils.

CaptainVeg
02-17-2012, 12:03 AM
I know you said you wanted to avoid tofu and tempeh because you didn't have time to make it, but you do realize its probably one of the quickest and easiest things to make? (And one of the tasiest if you prepare it right)

Simply cut it in blocks marinate it in whatever you'd like and bake the hell out of it. 500F for 20 mins. It will crisp up and have a deep flavour in whatever sauce you soaked it in. Easy and delicious.

But if you're deadset in not eating tofu and tempeh, like the others suggested. Beans, legumes - Quinoa is great and if you cook up a whole bunch its extremely versatile. Can use it as oatmeal, a salad, a side and even dessert.

Also try googling some vegan food blogs. There are some truly amazing recipes out there that are easy.

If you eat fish you should have no problems whatsoever getting to your 1g protein per lb. a day.

bigjake64
02-17-2012, 12:17 AM

LOL who needs 200 grams of protein per day ?!? Certainly, at 150 lbs 100 g Pro would be more than enough.

I would be more concerned with your B-12 and creatine intake. Vegans tend to have much lower levels of both of those nutrients (as they are mainly found in meat products). This is a concern for NON-EXERCISING vegans ... let alone someone serious about their physique and health.

Utilize your complementary proteins as previously mentioned (not at every meal, just throughout the whole day), 100 grams protein/day will be easy and sufficient. (I also think you are drastically underestimating your protein intake. Grain products have more than you think, especially whole grain products.)

Consider a B-12 supplement ~$8 for 3-6 months (or better yet a full multivitamin, but that will cost more) and a daily creatine supplement. A simple monohydrate will cost you MAYBE $20 for 6 months worth.

*I understand this is the nutrition section ... vegans simply do not have a dietary option for B-12 and creatine intake.

JPL79
02-17-2012, 04:34 AM
LOL who needs 200 grams of protein per day ?!? Certainly, at 150 lbs 100 g Pro would be more than enough.

Yes, to clarify I was generally speaking about the average male trying to pack on muscle. 150 lbs doesn't call for "well over 200". Personally, 200 grams is my minimum, and up to 250 grams/day.

:)

madeinoregon
02-17-2012, 04:46 AM
When I was a vegetarian I made lots of seitan, which is made from vital wheat gluten. Tastes okay... texture is like a sponge though. It is high in protein.

Also, asian markets usually sell tofu for cheap. Used to get 2 lbs of tofu for a dollar at a little Korean store. Worth checking out.