PDA

View Full Version : Sugar- please just answer

ThynameisDrew
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
I've been looking at threads for an hour on different sites about how much sugar I should be taking in. Not one thread has just given someone a decent guess, just a bunch of argueing back and forth.

I weigh 180 pounds, about 7.5% bodyfat, I'm bulking for hypertrophy, male, 18, about 6'2''.

Someone please just answer X).

Sidenote: The vast majority of my sugar is lactose (dairy sugar) and maltose (sugar in whole wheat grains). I limit myself to about one piece of fruit a day. Very little of my sugar is added or refined, since I don't eat junk protein bars and only a very minimal amount of candy ( a herseys kiss for a whole day or something) I eat 5 meals a day and usually wind up at about 80 grams. I don't think cutting it down to 30 or something like that is realalistic, I'm not looking to compete.

Part 2: Are lactose and maltose preferable to refined sugar, or are they all the same?

rand18m
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been looking at threads for an hour on different sites about how much sugar I should be taking in. Not one thread has just given someone a decent guess, just a bunch of argueing back and forth.

I weigh 180 pounds, about 7.5% bodyfat, I'm bulking for hypertrophy, male, 18, about 6'2''.

Sidenote: The vast majority of my sugar is lactose (dairy sugar) and maltose (sugar in whole wheat grains). I limit myself to about one piece of fruit a day. Very little of my sugar is added or refined, since I don't eat junk protein bars and only a very minimal amount of candy ( a herseys kiss for a whole day or something) I eat 5 meals a day and usually wind up at about 80 grams. I don't think cutting it down to 30 or something like that is realalistic, I'm not looking to compete.

Part 2: Are lactose and maltose preferable to refined sugar, or are they all the same?

There's no set amount you SHOULD be taking in? Sugar is just another carbohydrate that would be part of your overall carbohydrate intake for the day if you track that sort of thing.

Basically speaking there are differing enzymatic pathways for digestion of lactose versus other saccharides but in the end they all end up as monosaccharides to be utilized for fuel etc. (think glucose)

Trevor1900
02-13-2012, 07:47 PM

It. Doesn't. Matter. Now go eat as much sugar as you want... as long as your within your carb intake for the day.

BicycleRider192
02-14-2012, 07:24 AM
It. Doesn't. Matter. Now go eat as much sugar as you want... as long as your within your carb intake for the day.

Terrible advice. Negs on recharge.

WonderPug
02-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Part 2: Are lactose and maltose preferable to refined sugar, or are they all the same?In terms of bodyweight and composition, it doesn't matter. But if you're limiting intake from nutrient rich sources such as fruit, you might be shortchanging yourself in terms of health.

ParsonBrown
02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Terrible advice. Negs on recharge.

Can you provide information to the contrary? Assuming daily calorie and macro/micronutrient sufficiency what is the problem with sugar? Please advise...

lee__d
02-14-2012, 07:33 AM

pics? cuz that would prob look beastly.

and x2 on pug

BicycleRider192
02-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Can you provide information to the contrary? Assuming daily calorie and macro/micronutrient sufficiency what is the problem with sugar? Please advise...

Since that lunatic didn't differentiate between the sauce (e.g. fruit vs sugar-sweetened beverages) and the amount of sugar it's terrible advice. Clinical research is still preliminary but it does show that sugar/HFCS/SSB consumption should be restricted.

This study is of particular interest because it used healthy young men and the amounts of sugar/fructose are not unusual high (i.e. a large part of the general population consumes these or even higher amounts)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21677052

jacobpov
02-14-2012, 07:51 AM
listen to your body eat as much as you like until you body says to stop !

ParsonBrown
02-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Since that lunatic didn't differentiate between the sauce (e.g. fruit vs sugar-sweetened beverages) and the amount of sugar it's terrible advice. Clinical research is still preliminary but it does show that sugar/HFCS/SSB consumption should be restricted.

This study is of particular interest because it used healthy young men and the amounts of sugar/fructose are not unusual high (i.e. a large part of the general population consumes these or even higher amounts)

I'm no expert at disecting studies, but it seems the one linked is pretty weak? No information was provide about the rest of the subjects diet...it would seem that would leave too many variables open to skew the results. Again, that is just my observation and I could be missing something due to my ignorance...

BicycleRider192
02-14-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm no expert at disecting studies, but it seems the one linked is pretty weak? No information was provide about the rest of the subjects diet...it would seem that would leave too many variables open to skew the results. Again, that is just my observation and I could be missing something due to my ignorance...

It's all in the full text (you need to have a subscription to AJCN to get acces to it). Like I said, the amounts of sugar/fructose consumed in that study are not far off compared to the consumption of sugar/fuctose in the general population.

MikeK46
02-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Someone please just answer

No.

First you need to understand what sugar IS and how we DIGESTS and METABOLIZE it versus complex carbs. Once you have a clear understanding of this, you won't even need to ask your question because you'll realize how silly it is.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Ratfish
02-14-2012, 12:02 PM

Seems probable that 300g of sucrose per day would result in an elevation in serum triglycerides, which itself would also lead to a decrease in LDL size/buoyancy. It would be difficult to clear such a large pool of the VLDL, the oxidation of which has been implicated in the etiology of CHD.

snorkelman
02-14-2012, 12:23 PM

This study was not just looking at people ingesting either 40 or 80 g of fructose per day, but rather, they were supplementing their NORMAL diets with an additional 40 and 80 grams of fructose per day.

An excerpt from the full text notes,

Subjects were asked not to change their usual eating habits....

Then
Subjects received a written manual as well as oral instructions regarding which foods contain free fructose and should therefore be avoided.

Regarding fruit, they were specifically permitted to still eat a piece of fruit per day and we have to take their word for it that they really limited their fructose as instructed.

Also, for this study to be relevant to the people reading this forum, I don't think that an absence of a structured exercise program, combined with a diet that has a carb to protein ratio of 4 to one is applicable, do you?

NDeeps27
02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
vegetables and fruit have more sugar in them then a lot of foods. if you try to limit sugar intake you might skip these for less micro-nutrient dense and/or possibly processed foods. as Pug said, i dont advise you worry about amount of sugar OVER amount of CHO since many foods with sugars can be nutrient dense and healthy.

naturalguy
02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Terrible advice

Agreed

BicycleRider192
02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
This study was not just looking at people ingesting either 40 or 80 g of fructose per day, but rather, they were supplementing their NORMAL diets with an additional 40 and 80 grams of fructose per day.

An excerpt from the full text notes,

Regarding fruit, they were specifically permitted to still eat a piece of fruit per day and we have to take their word for it that they really limited their fructose as instructed.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. In the MF and HS groups total fructose intake was 85.0g and 78.6g. These amounts are not extraordinary at all. The average fructose intake among adolescents is 73g/day.

Also, for this study to be relevant to the people reading this forum, I don't think that an absence of a structured exercise program, combined with a diet that has a carb to protein ratio of 4 to one is applicable, do you?
This question can't be answered without relevant research in specific population groups. However, you can't shrug it off either. The subjects were young, healthy individuals and consumed amounts of fructose that are not unheard of. At this point this is the most relevant data we have.

Furthermore, I could make the same argument against any recommendations exptraplotaed from the general population. Just because we have a specific diet and exercise protocol doesn't mean the data linking smoking to lung cancer is invalid or not applicable. It also doesn't mean that we don't need to eat fruit or not limit TFA intake.

Do with the data whatever you want but don't make unsubstantiated (not refering to you) claims like 'eat as much sugar as you want. It doesn't matter anyway'. That's just wreckless.