PDA

View Full Version : Interesting finding w.r.t. how I deal with carbs

ambitioniskey
02-13-2012, 05:19 AM
I have had some trouble with binge eating in the past, and every now and then it creeps up on me again. On those moments I eat like 4000-6000 kcal in a few hours only to feel like crap afterwards.

Now the interesting thing is that I always craved carbs, so I loaded up on cereal, bread, pancakes, cookies etc. Results were as expected: water/fat gain and huge bloat. Took me 5-7 days to get back to normal.

NOW, I had an episode again two weeks ago but I only ate protein and fat.. almost no carbs. I basically binged on bacon, eggs, whey, meat etc. while hitting at least the same amount of calories.

Next day, no bloat, no weight gain.. nothing. I also didn't feel as usual the next morning after a 'carb binge'. No stomach pain, no gas etc. I looked and felt the same as the day before the binge, and my feeling of guilt seemed to be unnecessary.

So I experimented with this and I seem to be feeling a lot better, in general, on a lower carb diet.

I am wondering why this could be. Is that carb sensitivity? I never believed in things like that.. but now I experience it myself.

inb4 cool story bro

brendbro
02-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Is that carb sensitivity? I never believed in things like that.. but now I experience it myself.

I'm not all too familiar with the subject but it's not like it's the boogey man or something. It has been well documented that people react differently to different carb sources, some even being completely intolerant (gluten for example).

The lack of bloat would be due to less water retention, a common sign of low carb dieting

Either way; binging is a very serious issue that IMO shouldn't be taken light heartedly, it can be very dangerous and if you can't tackle the problem on your own then perhaps seek the help of a professional or family member / someone close to you :)

texas281
02-13-2012, 09:14 AM
I have had some trouble with binge eating in the past, and every now and then it creeps up on me again. On those moments I eat like 4000-6000 kcal in a few hours only to feel like crap afterwards.

Now the interesting thing is that I always craved carbs, so I loaded up on cereal, bread, pancakes, cookies etc. Results were as expected: water/fat gain and huge bloat. Took me 5-7 days to get back to normal.

NOW, I had an episode again two weeks ago but I only ate protein and fat.. almost no carbs. I basically binged on bacon, eggs, whey, meat etc. while hitting at least the same amount of calories.

Next day, no bloat, no weight gain.. nothing. I also didn't feel as usual the next morning after a 'carb binge'. No stomach pain, no gas etc. I looked and felt the same as the day before the binge, and my feeling of guilt seemed to be unnecessary.

So I experimented with this and I seem to be feeling a lot better, in general, on a lower carb diet.

I am wondering why this could be. Is that carb sensitivity? I never believed in things like that.. but now I experience it myself.

inb4 cool story bro

OMG im going throught this right now Help me!! "cereal, bread, pancakes, cookies " every single thing
i ate evrything you typed
im trying to figure out if more protein will stop my binging lately i just came off a strict diet etc,
how did you get back on track? how many calories a day are you eatin and how much protein and what are your meals like?

these carbs are ruining my progress idk what to do,im tryin to start all over.

ambitioniskey
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not all too familiar with the subject but it's not like it's the boogey man or something. It has been well documented that people react differently to different carb sources, some even being completely intolerant (gluten for example).

The lack of bloat would be due to less water retention, a common sign of low carb dieting

Either way; binging is a very serious issue that IMO shouldn't be taken light heartedly, it can be very dangerous and if you can't tackle the problem on your own then perhaps seek the help of a professional or family member / someone close to you :)

Yes, overeating on carbs probably makes the water retention/gain significantly stronger so that's the big difference. However I just felt better overall the next day.. perhaps I just handle fats better.

Binging is a serious issue, true. And I'm not proud of it, at all. But it happens. It has become less (so, better) but every now and then I fall in the same trap. Working on it though (self).

Chaohinon
02-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I think a lot of that may have to do with properties specific to refined wheat and sugar, not necessarily all carbohydrates. Try a carb-up with sweet potatoes, potatoes, squashes, white rice, bananas, apples, and pumpkin and see how you feel.

SimonThePieman
02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
as previously said, carbs create greater water rention. Also fat and protien is typically for filling. So likely you ate less calories and retained less water.

Calories are pretty much carlories (inb4semantics), any surplus not converted into LBM will be stored as fat. Bloat or no bloat.

If you have issues with binge eating or feel you would like include high calorie days either address them psychologicaly and/or adject your eating habits to accomodate it. When cutting i prefer to run a heavy deficit over the working week and create a buffer for the weekend. But I certainly wouldn't eat 12000 cals over a weeked (well aside from Christmas anyway)

BBqChicken1
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Come on people, stop binging. If you didn't get what you wanted, you didn't want it bad enough. I'm sitting here with sweets and chocolate in front of me and hit all my macros for today, and I'm not even touching them.

docchio
02-14-2012, 03:00 PM
You need to develop strategies that snap you out of the binge. Use
Videos of your favourite athlete. Make a list of all your goals, and how much they mean to you. Watch a video of some fat **** stuffing their face. And if you start binging.... STOP, watch or read that ****. Take some ****in control of yourself and develop positive attitudes and behaviour. The more you binge, the weaker you will be to stop. The more you train your brain to say no. The less you will give in. Take responsibility for yourself and don't blame external factors.

MAGnitude
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM
i eat upwards of 500 grams of Carbs on a normal day and dont get any of those symptoms as suggested when i dont eat those 500 grams all at once, but i do indeed get bloating and so on sometimes when i have a high cal meal and the carb content is 450g +. everyone reacts differently, listen to your body and adjust.

ambitioniskey
02-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Thank you all guys.

First, to the people saying "just stop bingeing, man up, have some self control, don't be a weak phaggot" it's not that easy. I am not weak for having a binge episode every now and then. Yes, it's a weak part and a flaw in my brain and behaviour, but it doesn't make me weak. I hit the gym hard, put in 110% effort. I go a long way to even be able to do that while 90% of people around me don't even try.

Don't tell me I am weak.

Onto the topic at hand. I am going to use the strategy mentioned by SimonthePieman and actually PLAN the higher calorie days. I feel this may be a lot better. In fact I'll be doing the same when it comes to caloric intake, but instead of feeling guilt and regret for eating a lot on 1 day, I plan it so it's part of what I do.

Thanks again for the comments folks.

TomBremner
02-25-2012, 10:03 AM
well carbs will cause water retention. wether more in you than others idk. I do know if i drop my carbs im way less hungry.