PDA

View Full Version : 50 years old and want abs

andreww1962
02-10-2012, 10:03 AM
So about a year ago I decided it was high time that I whipped myself in to shape. I'm a small framed guy at 5'9" and weighed in at almost 190 lbs. Started January 1st 2011 and by April 2011 I was down to 140 lbs. Using a very healthy diet and tens of thousands of crunches and situps, I'd thought that I'd at least be able to see some signs of my abs, but no. So I switched to a high cardio workout over the summer, doing about two miles every single day, including jogging and sprinting, and still keeping up with a slightly reduced situp/crunch program. By summers end I was down to 135 lbs but still had no sign of ab muscles. What am I doing wrong, or am I just too old?

Tommy W.
02-10-2012, 10:23 AM
You need to go on a calorie surplus and do weighted ab exercises. Some people, me included, have ****ty natural ab structures and need to approach them the same as any other muscle that is a terrible weak point for us. Once you've built up some abs through the above protocol, then diet down and see what you have.

All the unweighted ab exercises, especially during a period of dieting down will get you nowhere when your abs are naturally poor. With a small ab structure you have to get to such low levels of bodyfat to see them that you look terrrible.

ironwill2008
02-10-2012, 10:28 AM
.... 5'9" ....

..... I was down to 135 lbs but still had no sign of ab muscles. What am I doing wrong, or am I just too old?

You have pretty much ground yourself down into dust. You have little/no muscle mass left.

-=FLEX=-
02-10-2012, 10:31 AM
By summers end I was down to 135 lbs but still had no sign of ab muscles.

135 @ 5'9"

I don't even...................

Forget about abs. Eat and lift. SRS.

Also post some 'progress' pics as a warning to others. Holy hell..........

CardinalRB34
02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
yeah.. agreed. It sounds like your diet and activities lead to as much muscle wasting as fat loss. My advice would be to stop doing your cardio for a bit and try to build back some lean body mass - through proper lifting and eating.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
You just found out why cardio is not the best way to lose weight. That is because you lose muscle along with fat. You need to start on a lifting program that incorporates squats, deadlifts, overhead press and bench. Believe it or not, doing these exercises will give you abs without doing any direct ab workouts.

Oh and eat a little bit more than you have been.

andreww1962
02-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Since November I have laid off the cardio. My daily routine is consisting of 250 bicycle situps, 160 pushup, 3 rounds boxing with 5lb weights in each hand, and 200 crunches. I have been able to noticeably increase the size of my arms and chest. I'm now at 145lbs but still have a tiny amount of flab on my sides. So frustrating trying to get bigger while trying to completely loose that midsection fat!

BTW, don't let the 135 number shock you. I am a very small boned person with narrow shoulders. At the 145 lbs that I am now I have a very athletic build and you wouldn't say that I looked to thin. 135 was too low though, but I was just going with the advice that I was given that "everybody has abs, you just gotta do lots of cardio and lose the fat that is covering them".

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Since November I have laid off the cardio. My daily routine is consisting of 250 bicycle situps, 160 pushup, 3 rounds boxing with 5lb weights in each hand, and 200 crunches. I have been able to noticeably increase the size of my arms and chest. I'm now at 145lbs but still have a tiny amount of flab on my sides. So frustrating trying to get bigger while trying to completely loose that midsection fat!

This is still a cardio workout. Anything over 15 reps and it is endurance. Cut down the number of reps and add some weight. i.e. do hanging leg raises with your 5lb dumbbell between your feet. Put a 50lb bag of sand on your back and then do some pushups.

JRT6
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
A general comment not directed at the OP: if I had dollar for every dude with man boobies and dulap disease telling me they want to get jacked. Lets talk reasonable goals.

ironwill2008
02-10-2012, 12:14 PM
... but I was just going with the advice that I was given that "everybody has abs, you just gotta do lots of cardio and lose the fat that is covering them".

While it's true that "everybody has abs," it's also true that everybody also has biceps, pecs, quads, etc., but if they're not developed, they're not visible. IOW, it's not enough to just strip away the fat; there has to be something under the fat to show.

Old-Time-Lifter
02-10-2012, 12:19 PM
While it's true that "everybody has abs," it's also true that everybody also has biceps, pecs, quads, etc., but if they're not developed, they're not visible. IOW, it's not enough to just strip away the fat; there has to be something under the fat to show.

This ^^^^

And I don't care how small framed you are 135 at 5'9" is skinny. Worse yet if you can't see any muscle definition you are skinny fat. :(

Get into the weightroom and LIFT!

mrmagassi
02-10-2012, 12:39 PM
and my philosophy has always been eat a lot, push a lot, and burn a lot (I'm in the gym 6x a week -- and I have been training for 2 decades). I know each person is different, but cardio has always been a component for me to keep ripped abs. But you have to also increase your weight training to balance out the muscle loss (and always do your cardio at the end of the lifting routine, if you do them in the same day). I also do a little bit of abs every day (towards the end of my lifting); as opposed to devoting an exhausting hour long routine to abs several times a week.

Good luck!

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 12:43 PM
This is still a cardio workout. Anything over 15 reps and it is endurance. Not true.

JRT6
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Word; so when I work up to (and it's getting harder and harder) 405 for 15 reps on the squat Im just a cardio bunny working endurance?

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Not true.

If you're doing 15 reps of an exercise, it's time to increase the weight.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Word; so when I work up to (and it's getting harder and harder) 405 for 15 reps on the squat Im just a cardio bunny working endurance?

Why are you doing 15 reps? Increase the weight. And yes that is muscular endurance. Look at it this way, a 1RM calculator says that doing 15 reps at 405 is about a 625 1RM. I guarantee you that someone who has a 15RM of 405 cannot squat 625. I doesn't work that way and the reason is because you are no longer doing strength training. You have switched over to endurance training.

As an asides, most 1RM calculators state that they are not accurate above 10-12 reps.

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
If you're doing 15 reps of an exercise, it's time to increase the weight.Why?

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
You have switched over to endurance training.

Not true. Again.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Why?

If you want to get stronger than you should increase the weight. If you don't want to get stronger than keep doing what your doing.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Not true. Again.
OK, at what rep level does endurance training start.

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
If you want to get stronger than you should increase the weight. If you don't want to get stronger than keep doing what your doing.Few years back I got my legs very strong and very big doing 5 sets of 20 reps + with 165 and max 185 lbs. There are lots of lifters who are strong as heck and with muscular physiques doing high reps lower weights.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Few years back I got my legs very strong and very big doing 5 sets of 20 reps + with 165 and max 185 lbs. There are lots of lifters who are strong as heck and with muscular physiques doing high reps lower weights.

How do you know your legs got stronger if you never lifted more than 185?

Show me a respected program that has someone doing 20reps.

JRT6
02-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Why are you doing 15 reps? Increase the weight. And yes that is muscular endurance. Look at it this way, a 1RM calculator says that doing 15 reps at 405 is about a 625 1RM. I guarantee you that someone who has a 15RM of 405 cannot squat 625. I doesn't work that way and the reason is because you are no longer doing strength training. You have switched over to endurance training.

As an asides, most 1RM calculators state that they are not accurate above 10-12 reps.

Ok back it up by posting a video of you squating 405 for whatever reps you define endurance at.

Luz for making your argument with a rep calculator. If all you believe in is paradigms and cliches then that is all you'll get.

llahhsoj
02-10-2012, 01:21 PM
So about a year ago I decided it was high time that I whipped myself in to shape. I'm a small framed guy at 5'9" and weighed in at almost 190 lbs. Started January 1st 2011 and by April 2011 I was down to 140 lbs. Using a very healthy diet and tens of thousands of crunches and situps, I'd thought that I'd at least be able to see some signs of my abs, but no. So I switched to a high cardio workout over the summer, doing about two miles every single day, including jogging and sprinting, and still keeping up with a slightly reduced situp/crunch program. By summers end I was down to 135 lbs but still had no sign of ab muscles. What am I doing wrong, or am I just too old?

I'm surprised that you don't have abs at that weight for your height.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Ok back it up by posting a video of you squating 405 for whatever reps you define endurance at.

Please explain to me why it is relevant whether or not I can squat 405 for reps.

There is a reason there are no programs that have someone doing 15+ reps. That is because it is not the most efficient way to make gains in strength or hypertrophy. You are wasting your time. You would make more gains doing less reps at a higher weight. If you disagree, go to the workout forum here and read about all the programs they describe. Show me one that does 15+ reps of squats.

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 01:22 PM
How do you know your legs got stronger if you never lifted more than 185?

Show me a respected program that has someone doing 20reps.Once every couple of months I would try one rep max and could easily do 405. The op isn't looking for strength, he's looking for abs. Doing 15 reps is fine.

ironwill2008
02-10-2012, 01:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/KEAMX.jpg

JRT6
02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Please explain to me why it is relevant whether or not I can squat 405 for reps.

There is a reason there are no programs that have someone doing 15+ reps. That is because it is not the most efficient way to make gains in strength or hypertrophy. You are wasting your time. You would make more gains doing less reps at a higher weight. If you disagree, go to the workout forum here and read about all the programs they describe. Show me one that does 15+ reps of squats.

Pull your head of your ass and think for a moment. Reps with a weight is relative, what your consider endurance reps for me is your max (maybe). That is the folly of your labeling.

"Who does 15 rep squats?" Google 20 rep squat programs. Strongmen (Big tall ox talk slut plug) rep the **** out of big weights.

OZBB
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Firstly let me tell you, you're not too old... take a look at my recent thread titled "Fit and Fifty....I made it " and tell me if I'm too old to do this.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141959271&p=825466781#post825466781

Like everyone has said here.... you're doing too much muscle wasting cardio... start packing on some muscle, drop the cardio, increase the weights.... muscle is one of the best fat burners out there... the more you have the more calories you burn just moving around. I finally got my abs in the last few months.... they werent massive but they were there..... I did it with a strict diet.... even at 145lbs you probably still have fat covering them. That said, a solid ab routine of weighted crunches, jack knives, leg raises etc for a long way to developing them so they pop.

in the end Abs are the "icing on the cake" .... they're not the first thing to aim for, but last thing once you've developed everything else..... reassess your goals and get in the gym and work hard.

OZBB

llahhsoj
02-10-2012, 01:26 PM
and my philosophy has always been eat a lot, push a lot, and burn a lot (I'm in the gym 6x a week -- and I have been training for 2 decades). I know each person is different, but cardio has always been a component for me to keep ripped abs. But you have to also increase your weight training to balance out the muscle loss (and always do your cardio at the end of the lifting routine, if you do them in the same day). I also do a little bit of abs every day (towards the end of my lifting); as opposed to devoting an exhausting hour long routine to abs several times a week.

Good luck!

I agree with this. Cardio and diet is also a huge factor in ab development, probably moreso than the actual working of them. I am a firm believer in doing weighted ab excercise for every ab movement.

llahhsoj
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM

I can bench my weight 34 times, according to the calculator my max bench was 1817 lbs. Those things aren't accurate when you go too much over 10 reps.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Luz for making your argument with a rep calculator. If all you believe in is paradigms and cliches then that is all you'll get.

You seriously think that 1RM calculators are valid at higher reps. Try this, grab a 5lb dumbell and curl it for as many times as you can. Hint, you'll probably get bored before your fail. A 1RM calculator would say you could curl hundreds of pounds and I guarantee that you can't.

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 01:31 PM
This guy doesn't look like he's suffering from endurance training.

"Robert doesn’t like to lift heavy. When I say he doesn’t lift heavy, I literally mean he doesn’t lift more than 45 pound dumbbells.
Instead of lifting heavy, Robert likes to lift high reps with almost no rest in between his sets."

http://img.foodnetwork.com/FOOD/2008/08/19/bio-robert-irvine_al.jpg

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Pull your head of your ass and think for a moment. Reps with a weight is relative, what your consider endurance reps for me is your max (maybe). That is the folly of your labeling.

"Who does 15 rep squats?" Google 20 rep squat programs. Strongmen (Big tall ox talk slut plug) rep the **** out of big weights.

Your argument is devoid of logic. Just because someone does high rep squats as you suggest, that does not mean that they are doing it for strength. They could be training for endurance. There is an endurance component to Strongman competitions.

JRT6
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM

"Robert doesn’t like to lift heavy. When I say he doesn’t lift heavy, I literally mean he doesn’t lift more than 45 pound dumbbells.
Instead of lifting heavy, Robert likes to lift high reps with almost no rest in between his sets."

But, but, but in the workout program forums bros say he isn't big and strong he's just an aerobics bunny with weights.

CaptChip40
02-10-2012, 01:37 PM
OP you received some good advice in this thread. You have the self discipline to make progress that is evident with your weight loss. Good luck.

Jimbo48
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM

I didn't say you couldn't get big from endurance training. What I said a few posts back is that it is not the most efficient way to train. I guarantee this guy could have gotten bigger quicker if he had focused more on lifting heavier weights than on doing rep work.

Alright, I think we've sufficiently beaten this horse. I'm done.

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I didn't say you couldn't get big from endurance training. What I said a few posts back is that it is not the most efficient way to train. I guarantee this guy could have gotten bigger quicker if he had focused more on lifting heavier weights than on doing rep work.

Alright, I think we've sufficiently beaten this horse. I'm done.OK, so we agree 15 reps is not the ops problem. It would be nice to see a picture of op to give him proper advice.

charlievanriper
02-10-2012, 01:45 PM

WTF 5'9 @ 135 are you crazy, you want to go into the Hospital for malnourishment. Start by listening to those that have done it. You keep doing stupid **** like your doing and you will waste away and end up in a hospital. I would start by ending you association with whatever group, person, or magazine convinced you to do what your doing. ironwill2008, Me (although in prep I have no time), but you can read my journal,Flex, Old Navy these would be my go too's if I had no clue where to start. Jimbo as he's trying to help you now. Pretty much anyone in the OV 35 can give you advice, if you'll shut up and listen.

Sorry if this offends you but I'm not known for my niceties, I call it as I see it
3 yrs ago I was 205 @ 29% Bodyfat today I am 175 sub 10% with a 29 inch waist that I have not seen since Senior year in High School, stepped on stage @ 52 yrs old for the first time last March so dont say it cant be done.

andreww1962
02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Firstly let me tell you, you're not too old... take a look at my recent thread titled "Fit and Fifty....I made it " and tell me if I'm too old to do this.

Like everyone has said here.... you're doing too much muscle wasting cardio... start packing on some muscle, drop the cardio, increase the weights.... muscle is one of the best fat burners out there... the more you have the more calories you burn just moving around. I finally got my abs in the last few months.... they werent massive but they were there..... I did it with a strict diet.... even at 145lbs you probably still have fat covering them. That said, a solid ab routine of weighted crunches, jack knives, leg raises etc for a long way to developing them so they pop.

in the end Abs are the "icing on the cake" .... they're not the first thing to aim for, but last thing once you've developed everything else..... reassess your goals and get in the gym and work hard.

OZBB

Thanks man, you've inspired me!

andreww1962
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
OP you received some good advice in this thread. You have the self discipline to make progress that is evident with your weight loss. Good luck.

Thanks, I certainly have discovered willpower and discipline over the past year. Even if I never got beyond the fitness level I am at now, I'd still be happy. Not too many 50 year old guys can take their shirts off and look good these days!

charlievanriper
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I certainly have discovered willpower and discipline over the past year. Even if I never got beyond the fitness level I am at now, I'd still be happy. Not too many 50 year old guys can take their shirts off and look good these days!

says who

CaptChip40
02-10-2012, 02:16 PM
says who

Look around.

charlievanriper
02-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Look around.

All the guys I run with all have great Ab development. Well we are few and far between, and since 90% of the guys and women I run with are into bb and competing well I guess my vision is limited. There is nothing Impossible to those with a vision. but the good thing is I usually get those close to me going in the right direction.

CaptChip40
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
All the guys I run with all have great Ab development. Well we are few and far between, and since 90% of the guys and women I run with are into bb and competing well I guess my vision is limited. There is nothing Impossible to those with a vision. but the good thing is I usually get those close to me going in the right direction.

I agree, I think the op was talking about the general population. Around here you can't swing a dead cat and not hit some obese blob and many are way under 50.

andreww1962
02-10-2012, 02:24 PM
WTF 5'9 @ 135 are you crazy, you want to go into the Hospital for malnourishment. Start by listening to those that have done it. You keep doing stupid **** like your doing and you will waste away and end up in a hospital. I would start by ending you association with whatever group, person, or magazine convinced you to do what your doing. ironwill2008, Me (although in prep I have no time), but you can read my journal,Flex, Old Navy these would be my go too's if I had no clue where to start. Jimbo as he's trying to help you now. Pretty much anyone in the OV 35 can give you advice, if you'll shut up and listen.

Sorry if this offends you but I'm not known for my niceties, I call it as I see it
3 yrs ago I was 205 @ 29% Bodyfat today I am 175 sub 10% with a 29 inch waist that I have not seen since Senior year in High School, stepped on stage @ 52 yrs old for the first time last March so dont say it cant be done.

Dude, I congratulate you. But my goal for the first year was simply to lose weight and be lean. I was 190 with a 34" waist, now I'm 145 with a 29" waist, so I feel that I more than accomplished my first goal. Starting only two months ago I decided that I wanted to tone up. I don't want to be huge or ripped, that doesn't interest me. In the past 2 months I've gained 10 pounds without increasing my waistline. My arms and chest are now showing definition, so I think I'm headed in the proper direction.

Thanks for your response, its much appreciated and no offence was taken.

charlievanriper
02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I agree, I think the op was talking about the general population. Around here you can't swing a dead cat and not hit some obese blob and many are way under 50.

lol
sorry meant yep lol
lol

andreww1962
02-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Exactly my point!

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Dude, I congratulate you. But my goal for the first year was simply to lose weight and be lean. I was 190 with a 34" waist, now I'm 145 with a 29" waist, so I feel that I more than accomplished my first goal. Starting only two months ago I decided that I wanted to tone up. I don't want to be huge or ripped, that doesn't interest me. In the past 2 months I've gained 10 pounds without increasing my waistline. My arms and chest are now showing definition, so I think I'm headed in the proper direction.

You are asking for help wanting abs, then coming back with these great accomplishments and saying you look fantastic at 145 after gaining 10lbs of muscle with zero fat gain but don't know how to attain abs, now you say you don't want to be ripped but want cut abs. Getting confused. If this is a serious thread and you are truly serious about receiving advice and really truly want those abs then you would post a picture otherwise I think it this thread was just for an ego boost.

-=FLEX=-
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
But my goal for the first year was simply to lose weight and be lean.

No offense, but it truly boggles my mind how many people join here when their primary goal is simply to lose weight. Aren't there simple weight loss forums?

And then people are surprised when they get BODYBUILDING type responses from BODYBUIDLERS on a BODYBUIDLING forum.

:rolleyes:

If you simply want to be emaciated, you don't need advice from us.

Frnkd
02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
No offense, but it truly boggles my mind how many people join here when their primary goal is simply to lose weight. Aren't there simple weight loss forums?

And then people are surprised when they get BODYBUILDING type responses from BODYBUIDLERS on a BODYBUIDLING forum.

:rolleyes:

If you simply want to be emaciated, you don't need advice from us.

Flex your are straight up man to the point......that's why I like reading them[posts], never know what to expect. :)

tsoden
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Op...at my lightest...going from 225 to 166 lbs, I had bony ribs but still no abs. Just like the majority, abs need t be built up with resistance training. In order t build quality muscle you do need to eat more and gain more.

HoustonTXMuscle
02-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Have to agree with charlievanriper. Now how about septaginarians? My abs weren't all that evident until I got down to about 8.3% bf. As for cardio, probably haven't missed more than 20 days of LISS in the past 13 months. Same goes for lifting.

Corbi
02-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm with Flex and his line of thinking as I could not possibly care less about abs. I prefer the mass monster look and would not want to weight under 220 and would prefer to get up to 250-260. Scrawny ass POW look does nothing for me.

ntrllftr
02-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Lemme get this right....

5'9"
135lbs
and still don't see abs???
No photos

I smell troll!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n270/Bubblehead_2006/Motivational%20Posters/theres-the-door.jpg

Janssen112
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I never do sit-ups for abs and i don't believe it really does anything. Or it is a highly advanced movement that takes years to master, meaning to lift your chest up using the appropriate muscles. I can't master it, nor am i trying to. I certainly don't recommend it. I hit the abs separately with various movements. Crunches are good, weighted even better. I'm up to holding a plate of 25+ pounds while moving up. As they say, you gotta look up at the ceiling and move up toward it in a short motion. I keep my shoulder back to add "extra weight" (the weight of the plate becomes heavier and i absorb more of it into the movement).

I also take a bar with weights on my shoulders and, standing up, rotate left to right using my torso. It's great to work out the middle of it. I also "swing" left to right to work my obliques. Slow and using the contraction to control the movement. Finally the lower abs, i lie down and move my legs up and down, bending the knee at first to reduce weight on my lower abs. I don't do the full motion with legs, i only go down as much as i can handle in the lower abs. Because when i can't handle it the pressure goes to the back (it's start bending the back instead of it remaining straight). Then i do the plank to finish it off.

I do a couple more movements but to remain brief, i'm getting results from this, working abs piece by piece. Contraction-wise that is, i'd have to lose a lot of weight to actually see them :)

-=FLEX=-
02-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I work my abs by doing heavy deadlifts and squats. :)

JRT6
02-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Being jacked is too much work

Tommy W.
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
One guy has a great signature on here and it's something like
Abs on skinny guys are like big tits on fat chicks...it doesn't count

OutOfStep
02-10-2012, 06:27 PM

Maybe you should stop reading about training on the internet and actually start training IRL. Maybe then you won't look like such a jackass when you post your advices that you learned from the bros on bb.co. Rep calculator, lmao.

db_ggmm
02-10-2012, 11:00 PM
5'9"
135lbs
and still don't see abs???
No photos

I smell troll!

I didn't have abs at 5'9 120.

DSUP
02-11-2012, 05:35 AM

abs are over rated.

-=FLEX=-
02-11-2012, 07:40 AM
I can bench my weight 34 times, according to the calculator my max bench was 1817 lbs. Those things aren't accurate when you go too much over 10 reps.

You did it wrong.

(156 x 34 x .0333) + 156 = 332.6

-=FLEX=-
02-11-2012, 07:41 AM
I didn't have abs at 5'9 120.

If you're a 5'9" adult male weighing 120 lbs abs should be the least of your worries.

db_ggmm
02-11-2012, 10:48 AM
If you're a 5'9" adult male weighing 120 lbs abs should be the least of your worries.

I was ill, but the point remains - don't use lack of abs and low weight to call the guy a troll.

ntrllftr
02-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I was ill, but the point remains - don't use lack of abs and low weight to call the guy a troll.

You were serious???????
You have posted a great deal in here and thought you were kidding.
Then again.... no photo.... so, I still think what I think.

-=FLEX=-
02-11-2012, 11:15 AM
don't use lack of abs and low weight to call the guy a troll.

ummm....I didn't?

JRT6
02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
http://www.brinkzone.com/bodybuilding/training-for-maximal-muscle-growth-%e2%80%93-is-heavy-low-medium-reps-really-the-best-way-to-go/

Kmu
02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
The lack of muscle mass is the main cause!!! Good diet (at least maintenance but a calorie surplus should be better) and a good ab routine is whats gonna work best...

pharmamarketer
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
BJE is that you......

db_ggmm
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
You were serious???????
You have posted a great deal in here and thought you were kidding.
Then again.... no photo.... so, I still think what I think.

Haha, well, it is your prerogative if you want to call the guy a troll cause he doesn't have photos of his stomach at 135. My sig isn't kidding.

ummm....I didn't?

24,000 posts and you still don't know how to read a thread.

-=FLEX=-
02-11-2012, 03:59 PM
24,000 posts and you still don't know how to read a thread.

I can read just fine; so don't quote me and imply I said stuff that I didn't, OK Napoleon?

Frnkd
02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
OP I never thought I had abs myself until I decided to loose weight, prior though I was always taught to work on core muscles for strength. So even though, I believe, I had not had a good plan for a couple of years in terms of lifting or a real purposeful routine, as I did do my so called gym routines I always concentrated in feeling the core area. What I mean is that for instance, while I would be doing a db lift I would make sure I would firm up my abs and back, pulling my shoulders down etc. trying to ensure that the form was more correct not only for the db exercise but for the strength needed by using my core muscles. I also was not limiting myself to laying down crunches for abs......my favorite was decline crunches at 45 degress or more. But again more importantly I made sure that I was aware if my core muscles were active or not.
In martial arts- aikido in my case the "ki" or center is a vital part of your stability, similar to the "core" muscles, strength comes from this focus- just around the belly button area....focusing on your "ki" actually forces your shoulders down naturally, your chest also pull out, try it. (fyi- when you want to relax pull your thoughts down to your ki rather than up in your head, breath in and out slowly....you'll be amazed how much better your sleep is too)

http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/ki-exercises.htm

When I got serious, finally, realizing that I needed a good plan to kick start (finally) my bodybuilding goals I also decided that I would take up swimming for cardio. Swimming works most if not a majority of the body groups simultaneously....however I made a conscious effort to feel the ab muscles working with each stroke...reaching out and pulling, kicking and only bending my knees enough to not loose that feeling of my abs (core) at work.

At the same time I was loosing weight due to a major change in my diet.

As I lost the pounds I also, for the first time in decades- yes decades, I began to see the hidden abs appearing....so OP this may be why you don't see abs.....just guessing but I believe to be true, as you lift or push you have to feel your core muscles working to support the effort and energy that you are putting out.

just my $.02 hopefully its worth every penny.....lol

llahhsoj
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
You did it wrong.

(156 x 34 x .0333) + 156 = 332.6

Yeah, I wish it was that. My max is about 290-295. I just Googled a 1rm max bench calc and it did it for me.

Medtreker
02-12-2012, 06:10 AM
This whole thing sort of dispells "Abs are made in the kitchen" for me. Then I gotta think, well, if you had lifted and weight gained, then a had diet well balanced in macros that somehow allowed weight loss primarily of fat, that may get you lean enough to show abs ....had you had them to begin with. But, that's asking a lot. It's one of those holy grails of bodybuilding. I believe the pefect balance of lifting, diet and cardio must be acheived in order to attain that holy grail...Perfect Balance!

All through high school, I weighed in at 120.

Somewhere in my early 20's I began to lift. First I put on 10 pounds...HA! I still smoked back then!!

I quit smoking and immediately gained another 10..... HA! I still drank!!

Into my 30's I gave up lifting long ago, quit drinking and got into road biking...was around 155-160.

Drpped road biking for a nice long return to drinking...up to about 46y/o and ove 190.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN "ABS" ON ME. Not in HS, not in my 20's, 30's...certainly not my 40's!!

Now I have lost much fat, have made decent muscle gains, get myself to a fairly ripped 160 in the warmer months of the year, 165 in the colder months.

I can now feel the abs under there, and when fully pumped, I can start to just about see the defenition polking through under a (still there) layer of fat.

But I still Don't Have Abs.

But I'm not loosing hope. Even now, I'm forced to rest, have pinched nerve in upper back got so painfull went to Dr, perscribed prescriptin NSAID and muscle relaxer. But I plan on returning to my BB quest, I want the whole package, though I too am smaller framed, I know that every part must be worked for everything to come together.

True "Abs" are a ripped muscle. They have to be grown in the gym just as much as made in the kitchen. And, like the other holy grail (Biceps), they require weght gain.

My two cents(on steroids)...

llahhsoj
02-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Do WEIGHTED ab excercises for EVERY movement!

spikeowen
07-29-2016, 10:36 PM
135 @ 5'9"

I don't even...................

Forget about abs. Eat and lift. SRS.

Also post some 'progress' pics as a warning to others. Holy hell..........

I don't even....hahaha

iabs
07-29-2016, 10:45 PM
look at your diet, op.

what worked better for me was low a low carbs, high protein and medium fats.

15 mins of moderate intensity cardio should be reasonable to accelerate fat loss.

don't spend more than 1 hr in the gym.

Tommy W.
07-30-2016, 08:10 AM
It's been 4 years. I'm sure he's either figured it out or gave up by now

ElrondHubbard
07-30-2016, 07:21 PM
The 6-pack wasn't always as high a priority as it seems to be today.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-286WQA5bZQM/T4NSZ2vMojI/AAAAAAAAICI/5E6Obx4ZhCQ/s1600/john-grimek-big.jpg

John Grimek