PDA

View Full Version : as you age, do you get sore more easily?

Pridehurtsform
02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
now i know i'm not 35 yet, but this still seemed like the most logical place to post my question.

when i was in my early 20's i rarely ever got sore, but now that i'm in my late 20's i find myself getting sore after nearly ever workout. all things being equal (diet, sleep, stress etc), is my soreness likely a result of increased age? better training techniques? a combination of the two? something else?

thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer.

Cbuzz00
02-09-2012, 09:17 PM
For me, a lot of things hurt when I lift LOL, also takes a lot longer to recover compared to when I was 20. You just learn to work around it & listen to your body.

Pridehurtsform
02-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah, everything hurts now when I lift LOL, also takes a lot longer to recover compared to when I was 20. You just learn to work around it & listen to your body.

that's what i was afraid of :/

it's nice because it's easier to assess my last lifting day, but at the same time i find it a pain in the ass for muscles like forearms, which are used to some degree in all my lifting.

discdoggie
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Nope. I don't get DOMS that much, or at least don't seem to be bothered by it as much as other people. I actually LIKE feeling sore from DOMS.

I really only get noticeably sore after adding a new movement to my routine; same as when I lifted in my 20s.

Pridehurtsform
02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Nope. I don't get DOMS that much, or at least don't seem to be bothered by it as much as other people. I actually LIKE feeling sore from DOMS.

I really only get noticeably sore after adding a new movement to my routine; same as when I lifted in my 20s.

when i was in my early 20's i really only did the same routines.

i now train dynamically. i never do the same routine twice in the same month. that's why i was wondering it were a product of this type of training or my age. and i too, love the feeling of being sore. the only real concern is my forearms.

-=FLEX=-
02-10-2012, 02:15 AM

Pretty much this for me too.

Only difference I notice is recovery time for major lifts. In my 20's I did heavy squats twice a week. Now I can only handle one mega squat session a week.

Otherwise it's all good.

ljimd
02-10-2012, 02:42 AM
If I get sloppy with my form, I get sore. And occasionally after the heaviest weeks of my training cycle.

jor012
02-10-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm more concerned about falling and getting a hip fracture...No but seriously, I experience slight soreness, nothing that bothers me in anyway.

I'm still new to the BB forum seen..so would someone please explain what DOMS is an acronym for?

ljimd
02-10-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm more concerned about falling and getting a hip fracture...No but seriously, I experience slight soreness, nothing that bothers me in anyway.

I'm still new to the BB forum seen..so would someone please explain what DOMS is an acronym for?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

Brackneyc
02-10-2012, 04:02 AM
No.

cmoore
02-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Not for me (yet anyways). Although around 35 I noticed that cuts and injuries started taking a lot longer to heal. Similarly my joints are less tolerant of stupidity (movement wise) and I have to pay attention so as to not tweak them.

I'm not as strong or enduring as I was 10 years ago either though so take that for what it's worth.

securekey
02-10-2012, 04:25 AM
Seems the more weight I drop the less sore I feel getting up each day... however, recovery is definitely a little slower.

tomsfish
02-10-2012, 05:13 AM
not really for me,or not yet anyway.couldnt walk for a couple of days after legs before,same thing now.

Vytis
02-10-2012, 05:16 AM
No DOMS for me either, ever, and I consider myself an advanced lifter. As long as you fuel your body well and get enough sleep then recovery should not be an issue.

DubfromGA
02-10-2012, 05:32 AM
I like the soreness, as a rule.

I learned about forearms the hard way, though. Found myself really enjoying DB's. Incorporated them into virtually every muscle group. As a result, I was handling them every day. They weren't ready. Right forearm & wrist has been screwed up since early December.

I began using Versagripps and that really helped a lot. Recovering now from hernia surgery and giving the body a good rest. When I resume, I'll use those Versagripps religiously to prevent wrist damage.

MecGen
02-10-2012, 06:29 AM
i find it a pain in the ass for muscles like forearms, which are used to some degree in all my lifting.

the only real concern is my forearms.

Are you talking about DOMS or is it an tendon issue you are developing ?

Forearm pain can come from the wrist or elbow. Going too heavy on curls, and squeezing the bar too hard can give me tendon pain. Over use of joints is always a concern, but everybody is effected to a different degree.

Regards

clive
02-10-2012, 06:35 AM
I didn’t start weight training until I was 40 so I don’t know what it would have been like when I was younger
I do get the DOMS and I don’t have a problem with it, I look at it as a good indication that I’ve worked out hard.
I worry if I don’t get the DOMS.

x-trainer ben
02-10-2012, 06:47 AM
now i know i'm not 35 yet, but this still seemed like the most logical place to post my question.

when i was in my early 20's i rarely ever got sore, but now that i'm in my late 20's i find myself getting sore after nearly ever workout. all things being equal (diet, sleep, stress etc), is my soreness likely a result of increased age? better training techniques? a combination of the two? something else?

I find that it is new movements or angles that tend to cause the soreness. Have you ever noticed that when you do unusual things like paint a ceiling, even if your back and shoulders are strong, you get soreness for the next day? The same thing happens when i play that first game of tennis in the spring; the side that does the serving(shoulder/back/waist) gets extremely sore. The body seems to adapt fairly quickly to the regular weight routine.

NitrogenWidget
02-10-2012, 06:47 AM
I get the DOM's bad as opposed to when I was in my 20's.

I alternate my workouts.
One week I do 5x5
Sore half the week.

Next week I pyramid up & drop set down.
Sore all week.

I did my chest Wed.
Woman at work this morning punched me in the chest shoulder area when I made a smart-assed remark about them circling the food table they just put out.
WHOLLEY FUARK THAT HURT! LOL!

Must learn to keep mouth shut around grazing women.....:)

Bofrere21
02-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Some people are getting sore, some are not.

From my experience, I was getting sore when I was a teenager and I still do at 41 (to answer OP's question).

On a side note : One could wondering if it was a result of a different genetic, leading to different results... From my POV, in fact, either I was 13 or 41, new or old routine, some muscles on my body like the chest will get sore whatever if I do a new routine or use the same routine for months and either I do a lot or very few sets as long as I train hard I'm getting sore for 2-3 days, some other muscle like the shoulders it's barely impossible to make it sore even if I try new exercises/more sets. Nevertheless both are in the same ball park size/strength. Some other muscles are getting sore only on a new routine (as it's normally do), either strong or weak parts. Getting sore doesn't seems to effect the rate of growing in size or strength at all IMO.

Eric

Variax
02-10-2012, 07:24 AM
I still push myself and stay sore, its not a debilitation, just something I deal with but I didn't really start noticing it until my 50's.

rand18m
02-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Feeling sore and DOMS are two different things!

Op to answer your question I would say for most yes, however the larger point is that it does take longer to recover, so recovery as we age becomes a much more important factor, in the terms that you have to pay closer attention to how long it takes to fully recover. We all apparently enjoy doing the work, at least to some degree, there is no reason to be doing it for nothing. Sometimes more is less!!

Firminator4
02-10-2012, 07:26 AM
when i was in my early 20's i really only did the same routines.

i now train dynamically. i never do the same routine twice in the same month. that's why i was wondering it were a product of this type of training or my age. and i too, love the feeling of being sore. the only real concern is my forearms.

I would guess that the DOMS you are experiencing is being caused by your dynamic workouts. That is still the only time I experience DOMS - when I do something my body isn't used to doing.

bigtallox
02-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Huh? DOMS is by definition being sore, DOMS = Delayed Onset of Muscle SORENESS.

67fastback
02-10-2012, 08:30 AM

My advise to you, is to stop getting old, right now!

It's not worth it. Once you hit 35, and all the aches and pains kick in... well it's all down hill, from there.

You are going to wish that you never hit 35. Then year by year it gets even worse.

More soreness, more aches and pains.

It gets so bad, that even your own kids become a pain. Your spouse is some times a pain.

Your body falls apart, your hair falls out...

It's bad, man. Just, real bad. Don't do it!

bodyhard
02-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I actually recover faster now than when I was younger. But it has been that way since I started training. Recover better in my 30's than in my 20's recovering now better in my 40's than in my 30's.

As for the soreness, it is the same, DOMS hit me two days after my workouts, been that way since I started training. But as stated recovery is faster now.

ClinicallyBored
02-10-2012, 09:15 AM
DOMS is different than just your typical sorness after a workout. I dont think he is referring to DOMS. You know when you have DOMS. It hurts and it can take a week to go away. Me personally I do notice a little difference. Recovery is a little longer. Burning fat takes a little more effort. Hell a heavy night of drinking hurts a little more now.

cozener
02-10-2012, 09:30 AM
My muscles don't get sore any more easily but my tendons do

Pridehurtsform
02-10-2012, 09:33 AM
naw i only really experience DOMS after a long hiatus. i'm talking about the sore feeling that same night of training or at latest early in the morning.

Are you talking about DOMS or is it an tendon issue you are developing ?

Forearm pain can come from the wrist or elbow. Going too heavy on curls, and squeezing the bar too hard can give me tendon pain. Over use of joints is always a concern, but everybody is effected to a different degree.

Regards

it's mainly brachialis pain with some elbow as well. i feel like if my brachialis gets too fatigued, then i put increased pressure on my joints.

lol'd
[QUOTE=Bofrere21;829459461]Some people are getting sore, some are not.

From my experience, I was getting sore when I was a teenager and I still do at 41 (to answer OP's question).

On a side note : One could wondering if it was a result of a different genetic, leading to different results...

Eric

yeah that's also a good point. i think i'm beginning to figure out my genetics better, and as a result have created more specialized routines.

Op to answer your question I would say for most yes, however the larger point is that it does take longer to recover, so recovery as we age becomes a much more important factor, in the terms that you have to pay closer attention to how long it takes to fully recover. We all apparently enjoy doing the work, at least to some degree, there is no reason to be doing it for nothing. Sometimes more is less!!

i'm very very rarely sore for more than a single day. and i never train the same muscle twice in a row (at least intentionally). and you're right that sometimes more is less. definitely a variable i consider when designing my routines.

My advise to you, is to stop getting old, right now!

It's not worth it. Once you hit 35, and all the aches and pains kick in... well it's all down hill, from there.

You are going to wish that you never hit 35. Then year by year it gets even worse.

More soreness, more aches and pains.

It gets so bad, that even your own kids become a pain. Your spouse is some times a pain.

Your body falls apart, your hair falls out...

It's bad, man. Just, real bad. Don't do it!

sound advice imo. i recently celebrated the second anniversary of my 25th birthday, so i've already adopted this mindset :D

CardinalRB34
02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
My muscles don't get as sore as they used to, but my joints do... so that takes a little longer to recover. I also noticed that I have to warmup about twice as long as I used to.

Pridehurtsform
02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
My muscles don't get as sore as they used to, but my joints do... so that takes a little longer to recover. I also noticed that I have to warmup about twice as long as I used to.

yeah i've had many joint issues in the past. i've since adopted a longer warm up + weight acclimation regime as well, and it seems to have helped a lot.

CardinalRB34
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
yeah i've had many joint issues in the past. i've since adopted a longer warm up + weight acclimation regime as well, and it seems to have helped a lot.

no doubt. I also don't lift as heavy as I used to... well the weights are heavier, but it's relative. I don't max out anymore and very rarely will I ever do a set that I can't get at least 6 reps. Once in a blue moon I might go for a double. But normally my rule is don't touch it if I don't think I can lift it for 10. sometimes 6-8.

Bofrere21
02-10-2012, 10:19 AM
As a second side note I would say if one is getting sore easily = reduce the volume of training, sore means it works and your body is adapting = good, but don't over do it, just do what it take to be 'normal' sore, no need to push it too much, it could lead to overtrain and get less results in the long run. Plus you have to consider proper rest according to each muscle group. For example don't do chest if you have sore triceps, or back if you have sore biceps, or chest when your shoulders are still sore... etc.

Eric

Singe03
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Rarely anything beyond very mild soreness since I learned to warm up properly.

If I screw up, like on Monday, it's a different story but I don't think soreness is any worse than in my 20s overall.

sakoy
02-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Here's my routine:.........I go from the rocking chair, to the walker, to the cane, and then grab a barbell...........

Seriously - I have no soreness except DOMS after leg day, which happens to me sometimes especially when I walk out of the gym on leg day with my legs feeling like jello...I do not get sore anywhere else because I go through a 5-7 minute cardio warm up before lifting and I stretch the day's targeted muscles in between sets making certain to pay attention to shoulders............and as long as we take care of our selves turning 40, 50, 60 and 70 is not really big deal. I work with some 70 year olds that run circles around me.

KindaBigGuns
02-10-2012, 01:17 PM
My muscles don't get sore any more easily but my tendons do This is what has been holding me back as of late. Sore muscles don't worry me, sore tendons do. I think I have it figured out now....after removing about half a dozen exercises from my routine and being more careful with the ones I still do.

Pridehurtsform
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
As a second side note I would say if one is getting sore easily = reduce the volume of training, sore means it works and your body is adapting = good, but don't over do it, just do what it take to be 'normal' sore, no need to push it too much, it could lead to overtrain and get less results in the long run. Plus you have to consider proper rest according to each muscle group. For example don't do chest if you have sore triceps, or back if you have sore biceps, or chest when your shoulders are still sore... etc.

Eric

some more sound advice. more variables which should be carefully considered when designing a workout plan.

rand18m
02-11-2012, 07:32 AM
some more sound advice. more variables which should be carefully considered when designing a workout plan.

By the way, your forum name is great, we can all relate to that at some point, and often repeatedly!

billb7581
02-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Eric

Haha....that's why I do full body workouts, if I had to wait for all those stars to align, I'd be in the gym once every 3 weeks LOL

Maxsuzaka
02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I started using a BCAA shake during my workouts and it seemed to cut down on muscle soreness and recovery time. Now I am not sure if I lift enough because don't feel burnt out an hour after my session. I also think creatinine helps a lot.