PDA

View Full Version : what are your thoughts?

v1rt
02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
about cooking chicken breast on olive oil?

brooks2006
02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Great for Sautéing. Much better than butter or vegtable oil. Canola oil might be similair. Although I've been told olive oil has the good fat. Obviously it is not made for deep frying. I use the Extra Virgin Light with modration.

v1rt
02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Great for Sautéing. Much better than butter or vegtable oil. Canola oil might be similair. Although I've been told olive oil has the good fat. Obviously it is not made for deep frying. I use the Extra Virgin Light with modration.

Cool! Will continue doing it! I thought it was forbidden! :D

Kraken
02-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Cooking oils at very high temps breaks them down. Each oil has different tolerances for heat, including when they begin breaking down the good fats, smoke points and burn points (Smoke and burn can be different).

Fying in oils is always bad. As an alternative, bake with the oils and they will still get crunchy at the right temps,, but without breaking them down.

Look up the different tolerances of oils. Not only will it make you a better cook, but it will also keep your oils healthy.

v1rt
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Cooking oils at very high temps breaks them down. Each oil has different tolerances for heat, including when they begin breaking down the good fats, smoke points and burn points (Smoke and burn can be different).

Fying in oils is always bad. As an alternative, bake with the oils and they will still get crunchy at the right temps,, but without breaking them down.

Look up the different tolerances of oils. Not only will it make you a better cook, but it will also keep your oils healthy.

Thanks a lot for the tips! :)

-=FLEX=-
02-10-2012, 02:03 AM
FWIW, I pretty much cook exclusively with olive oil...nothign wrong with it, IMHO.

jor012
02-10-2012, 04:16 AM
Cool! Will continue doing it! I thought it was forbidden! :DI thought it was forbidden too. Then I found out the reason why people normally don't use olive oil for that purpose is because it's more expensive than vegie oil.

Does anyone know what canola is? I never gave it any thought but was surprised when i found out it stands for "Canadian Oil" and is made from the rapeseed. They decided canola sounds better than rape oil.

DaniGrrl
02-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Olive Oil is a good fat and is fine to eat. I do think, however, there are better ways to prepare chicken than cooking it in olive oil, but that's just me :) If you're going to cook it in pan on a stove, using olive oil is better than butter or vegetable oil as someone already mentioned.

There's many great uses for olive oil - roast vegetables with it, which is awesome. You can make your own salad dressing. Word of caution, though - since it's so high in fat, even though it's good fats, you need to measure it because it could be really easy to go over your calories if you aren't careful.

NorwichGrad
02-10-2012, 04:49 AM

Good point^^

OP: If you really have to sautee, coconut oil is a very good alternative. It doesn't break down like the other oils. Plus you get the added flavor of the South Pacific.

Brackneyc
02-10-2012, 04:56 AM
I bake all of my chicken. Lightly spray the cookie sheet with a 0 calorie spray, bake at 350 for 23 minutes, flip them over, cook for another 23 minutes (26 minutes per side if they go in frozen). I get enough fats during the day without adding EVO. :) I'd rather eat fat, versus having it in the background. :) jmo.

HairyScandinavian
02-10-2012, 06:27 AM
What's with all this baking and frying talk? I grill all my chicken. :D

Good point^^

OP: If you really have to sautee, coconut oil is a very good alternative. It doesn't break down like the other oils. Plus you get the added flavor of the South Pacific.

Coconut oil is good stuff.

v1rt
02-10-2012, 06:45 AM
Awesome responses! Thanks a lot everyone! :D

tpuhl
02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Some great advice above with burn and smoke points. I try to just steam or bake now with no oil or grill you wont miss the oil at all....

x-trainer ben
02-10-2012, 07:02 AM

If you don't have a photo shoot coming up in a few weeks it is fine, it is the good type of fat. Joke, it is always fine.

Kraken
02-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Good point^^

I just read about using coconut oil/milk as an alternative the other day...boiling rice, sauteing etc. I am going to give it a shot.

JohnDavis111
02-10-2012, 07:40 AM
My favorite way to cook chicken is dice up green and red peppers and onions. and cook them with the chicken in two tablespoons of olive oil.

ironwill2008
02-10-2012, 07:56 AM

A good choice, if you're looking for a cooking oil with a fairly high smoke point (depending on the grade) that adds it's own flavor to the cooked food.

Canola is a good choice to use if you don't want the oil to add any flavor, and is generally more economical than a good grade of olive oil.

Peanut oil has a high smoke point (great for high-temp stir-frying in a wok) that also adds a strong flavor to the food (a big part of what makes 'Chinese' food taste the way it does).

All of these oils contain 9 calories per gram. If you're watching your intake closely, be sure to allow for any consumed cooking oil in your daily calorie total.

bigtallox
02-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Word of caution, though - since it's so high in fat, even though it's good fats, you need to measure it because it could be really easy to go over your calories if you aren't careful.

That's funny, I drink olive oil so that I can reach my maintanence level.

Guinea-pig
02-10-2012, 08:14 AM

That won't work for me.

cozener
02-10-2012, 08:15 AM
A note on olive oil, make sure you're getting the real deal. A few good brands to look for:

Corto Olive
California Olive Ranch
Kirkland Organic
Lucero (Ascolano)
McEvoy Ranch Organic

RMBros
02-10-2012, 08:16 AM
A good choice, if you're looking for a cooking oil with a fairly high smoke point (depending on the grade) that adds it's own flavor to the cooked food.

Canola is a good choice to use if you don't want the oil to add any flavor, and is generally more economical than a good grade of olive oil.

Peanut oil has a high smoke point (great for high-temp stir-frying in a wok) that also adds a strong flavor to the food (a big part of what makes 'Chinese' food taste the way it does).

All of these oils contain 9 calories per gram. If you're watching your intake closely, be sure to allow for any consumed cooking oil in your daily calorie total.

Is there a problem with mixing peanut and canola, just for economy's sake?

I was scorching/smoking my olive oil way too often (shouldn't use it for stir fry) and switched to canola, but I do miss a bit a flavor.

Thoughts on other mixes?

Peanut/canola sounds like a natural mix, but what about Coconut/canola or some of the other more expensive high-temp oils?

DaniGrrl
02-10-2012, 09:34 AM

LOL Nothing wrong with that!!! Certainly if you need calories and fat, that's not a bad way to go. If I had my choice, I'd eat buckets of almond butter if I needed to. Whatever works :)

I just didn't know what the OP's goals are(I know he may have posted previously - can't remember) Just wanted him to keep in mind that the calories from oils can add up quickly if he's watching really closely.

CardinalRB34
02-10-2012, 09:41 AM
I drink mine too when I'm behind on my fat intake. Doesn't taste too bad. hahahaahha. I also make my salad dressings from extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.

-=FLEX=-
02-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Beer tastes better than olive oil. Just sayin'.

Kraken
02-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I used to mix mine with salads, protein shakes etc.

Recently though, I have come to a few conclusions that maybe ya'll can help me out with.

1. Olive Oil contains no protein
2. Olive oil does not make me feel like I have eaten anything extra

That said, I have gone to natty PB and cashew butter when I need fats or extra cals. They help make me feel fuller, add protein to my diet (even if it is only 7-14g) and adds some fiber to my diet. The trade off is a slightly less desirable unsaturated ratio, but it's still not bad.

CardinalRB34
02-10-2012, 09:52 AM

Recently though, I have come to a few conclusions that maybe ya'll can help me out with.

That said, I have gone to natty PB and cashew butter when I need fats or extra cals. They help make me feel fuller, add protein to my diet (even if it is only 7-14g) and adds some fiber to my diet. The trade off is a slightly less desirable unsaturated ratio, but it's still not bad.

I love natty peanut butter too and sometimes some almond butter. I think those are great fat sources to add, but I believe you still need some extra virgin olive oil. It's been a long time since I looked at the omega fatty acid content, but I believe the olive oil has higher concentrations of omega 9 and omega 6 fatty acids... while nut sources have a higher concentration of omega 3's? I could be wrong. But I believe that both are essential.... as you can't go wrong with good variety.

Kraken
02-10-2012, 09:58 AM
I love natty peanut butter too and sometimes some almond butter. I think those are great fat sources to add, but I believe you still need some extra virgin olive oil. It's been a long time since I looked at the omega fatty acid content, but I believe the olive oil has higher concentrations of omega 9 and omega 6 fatty acids... while nut sources have a higher concentration of omega 3's? I could be wrong. But I believe that both are essential.... as you can't go wrong with good variety.

I believe you are right with that assessment. I remember reading a source of a particular reputable person saying nuts were over rated for their fat content due to them having somewhat louzy fatty profles vs the calories you get from them trying to get the needed amounts.

hammerfelt
02-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Beer can chicken FTW

ironwill2008
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Is there a problem with mixing peanut and canola, just for economy's sake?

I don't see any problem with that. While I've not actually used that particular mix, I'll fairly often use olive oil and butter together to add their flavors to certain foods.

I think the main consideration would just be any possible change in smoke point, dependent on cooking method and the type of food being cooked.

BTW, I'm no gourmet chef (BrotherWolf, where are ya? :) ), but just a guy who loves to cook at home. My wife makes great salads, and any occasional desserts, and I handle the rest.

HairyScandinavian
02-10-2012, 11:06 AM
LOL Nothing wrong with that!!! Certainly if you need calories and fat, that's not a bad way to go. If I had my choice, I'd eat buckets of almond butter if I needed to. Whatever works :)

I just didn't know what the OP's goals are(I know he may have posted previously - can't remember) Just wanted him to keep in mind that the calories from oils can add up quickly if he's watching really closely.

I'm with you on the Almond butter. /drools

I drink mine too when I'm behind on my fat intake. Doesn't taste too bad. hahahaahha. I also make my salad dressings from extra virgin olive oil and vinegar.

Salads for sure. I've drank small quantities of it in the past, namely when on keto diet, but I'd much prefer to just eat a tub of PB or Almond Butter if I can. If I'm out of town for the weekend though I still bring a small vial of EVOO because it's easier to pack and I usually don't have time to sit and eat the other stuff and natty PB/AB requires refrigeration.

Yep^

HairyScandinavian
02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Beer can chicken FTW

Funny I don't drink (I do, but it's super rare) and sometimes the kids will ask me why there's beer in the fridge. I've grilled more than my fair share of whole beer can chicken, I keep the breasts and the kids get everything else. Grilling stuff must be a Texas thing.

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Steam my chicken then fry it a bit in coconut oil. Gives it intense flavor. Research the insane benefits of this tropical gem.

Marius_Ursus
02-10-2012, 11:45 AM

It exists.