PDA

View Full Version : Do you know any good punching bag workouts/circuits?

VB12
02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
I used to do boxing as a form of cardio after weight training, but stopped because I was f***** after training. But not every few sessions i may have a short session on the bag

do you know any good workouts with a repeated number of hits, types of hits etc.

cheers

DocTats
02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Just your basic jab, cross, hook combos, switch it up now and then... and double or triple up on the jabs and double up on the hooks. Hooks to the body and then head, double up on hooks to the head etc, really just need to ad lib it for 3 minute rounds. Pace yourself and end the round with flurries (you're way too young to know this but that's the way Sugar Ray Leonard beat my favorite fighter of all time Marvelous Marvin Hagler). The important thing though and this will make a huge difference in getting a great workout to a so-so one is to keep your hands up (with the extra weight of the gloves, it really does make a difference), brings your hands back after throwing your punch, keep moving your head and keep moving your feet, even if you're not circling the bag, stay on your toes. Basically treat the bag as an opponent, that luckily doesn't hit back.

ClinicallyBored
02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
FUUUU I love boxing. Used to do it. For condintioning we would do the 30-30. 30 secs throw hard fast punches non stop followed by 30sec break. Keep the punches high. Just a little above shoulder height. Rinse and repeat.

MAXXX_MADUS
02-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Look up Bas Rutten workout on youtube. You will find some good stuff.

Janssen112
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I've tried to do some but realized that boxing breaks my posture (and therefore bends my back in an unnatural manner). I've stopped doing it which was a healthy choice :) My problem is that as i punch forward, my shoulder moves forward as well and it is what breaks my posture. I've looked at boxers, like Mike Tyson, and he seems to move his entire body while punching in order to avoid this. But the whole thing left me stumped. I can't say i really understand how they pull it off, and i've tried without success. Maybe they just got a good body type for that kind of movement.