PDA

View Full Version : Noob...Gotta Brag Alittle!

CaptnC
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I know most you dont post the weight you lift, but I'm going to! :)

The two gyms I have memberships at don't have any real hardcore lifters...ie no one squats or leg presses??????? Not sure why, but they don't. So I don't have any one to watch to see if I'm really a stud or still just a wannabe!

I've only been pressing the iron for 13 months, 52.5yo, never been into lifting weight except in highschool...wife told me I had "bird legs" like her father about two years ago. They are still not huge, or really even big, but I'm moving some good weight.

I also know you most of you dont give a rats rump but a 1 rep max, but after reading a thread about that last week I thougth Saturday (not leg day) I try to see what my 1RM on a leg extension machine...after a good warm up I started at 200lb and maxed out the machine at 295lbs and held it for about 5 seconds (mostly just to show off). The wife was very impressed! :)

I also set a personal best last night on the leg press 3 reps@700lbs! I hit 10 pretty clean reps at 630lbs so I added some steel just to see.

I know this not as impressive at Induced Drags 18" guns (thats a$$ buddy, nice work) but for 24" thighs and 16" calves cold flexed legs (I only mention cold flex because I didn't have tape when they were pumped) thats not too bad.

I had ask how you could tell if you had a good workout a couple weeks back... WELL...when the wife and I were walking out to the truck last night I thought for a second the face was about to meet the side walk once! LOL Total jelly! ;)

IronCharles
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Good for you!

I had to give up the leg extension machine a couple of years ago, it was wreaking havoc on my knees. Took me about a year to get pain free. Haven't touched that machine since. I guess some people can do those with no problems, I'm not one of them.

geer_matt
02-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Good to see you get a pump mentally and physically out of lifting like that. It's what keeps us going and makes us want to achieve more. Like this morning for me, I had three exams today at school, but last night I still said "screw it, even though I don't want to, even though I am dreading it and I really could use the time to study, I am going to go do cardio anyway." So I went, when I got out of the shower this morning what I see transforming in the mirror made me feel great. Waist is getting really small which also makes the upper body appear bigger and better built too. I know it wasn't "just" because I did cardio last night, but because I haven't let myself make excuses to not go do it over a period of time and have remained consistent. It feels good doesn't it, when you take step back and realize it's starting to pay off and show through.

-=FLEX=-
02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
The two gyms I have memberships at don't have any real hardcore lifters...ie no one squats

Read this and was expecting some squat bragging.

soniamdisappoint.jpg

I dunno how "hardcore" doing leg press is, but good job.

And I'm with IC; no more leg extensions for me. Knee killers.

CaptnC
02-09-2012, 03:35 PM

soniamdisappoint.jpg

And I'm with IC; no more leg extensions for me. Knee killers.

Yeah...I forgot to include leg press in the list of "don't do's"...

Both places look like flamingo exhibits...bunch of skinny legged birds strutting their stuff!

bigtallox
02-09-2012, 03:47 PM
I also know you most of you dont give a rats rump but a 1 rep max.
I try to see what my 1RM on a leg extension machine...after a good warm up I started at 200lb and maxed out the machine at 295lbs (snip)
I also set a personal best last night on the leg press 3 reps@700lbs! I hit 10 pretty clean reps at 630lbs so I added some steel just to see.

Just know, it's not that people don't give a rats rump about 1 rep maxes, it's that you can't compair 1 rep maxes for machine lifts like leg extensions and leg presses. The resistance depends on more than the weight, it depends on the mechanics of the machine, which is different from machine to machine. You basically can only use it to gage your progress, but not to compair with other people across machines.

I agree with Flex, I was expecting a squat PR after your first sentence.

CaptChip40
02-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Leg press is dependent on the machine. At one gym I go to i can load it up with 9 plates per side and get ten reps, at another gym four plates a side and i'm lucky to get 5 reps.

JOHN GARGANI
02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Just know, it's not that people don't give a rats rump about 1 rep maxes, it's that you can't compair 1 rep maxes for machine lifts like leg extensions and leg presses. The resistance depends on more than the weight, it depends on the mechanics of the machine, which is different from machine to machine. You basically can only use it to gage your progress, but not to compair with other people across machines.

OH MAN OH MAN, is this reply RIGHT ON THE MONEY!!!!!

read my mind, there, OX.....

and to the OP: all things being relative, and assuming you did way less than that, on the SAME machine, when you started out, then, you should feel good about yourself....

CardinalRB34
02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
agreed. Good work on building up your base strength!!

Agreed - stop maxing out on the leg extensions.... future knee problems. The heaviest I go on leg extensions is for 12-15 reps.

dday39
02-10-2012, 06:26 AM

soniamdisappoint.jpg

I agree with Flex, I was expecting a squat PR after your first sentence.

agreed

tsoden
02-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I know most you dont post the weight you lift, but I'm going to! :)

The two gyms I have memberships at don't have any real hardcore lifters...ie no one squats or leg presses??????? Not sure why, but they don't. So I don't have any one to watch to see if I'm really a stud or still just a wannabe!

I've only been pressing the iron for 13 months, 52.5yo, never been into lifting weight except in highschool...wife told me I had "bird legs" like her father about two years ago. They are still not huge, or really even big, but I'm moving some good weight.

I also know you most of you dont give a rats rump but a 1 rep max, but after reading a thread about that last week I thougth Saturday (not leg day) I try to see what my 1RM on a leg extension machine...after a good warm up I started at 200lb and maxed out the machine at 295lbs and held it for about 5 seconds (mostly just to show off). The wife was very impressed! :)

I know this not as impressive at Induced Drags 18" guns (thats a$$ buddy, nice work) but for 24" thighs and 16" calves cold flexed legs (I only mention cold flex because I didn't have tape when they were pumped) thats not too bad.

I had ask how you could tell if you had a good workout a couple weeks back... WELL...when the wife and I were walking out to the truck last night I thought for a second the face was about to meet the side walk once! LOL Total jelly! ;)

Well, as one only able to hit 500 lbs on leg press currently, *I* am impressed. Well done OP.

billb7581
02-10-2012, 07:30 AM
What's a leg extension?

trollface.jpg

Seriously though, I have only ever seen 4 people squat at my gym.

Myself, my wife, the biggest dude there who is completely jacked, and one of the female trainers. LOL.

Usually you'll find skinny teenagers supersetting cable flys and curls in the squat rack.

NitrogenWidget
02-10-2012, 07:55 AM
Good for you!

I had to give up the leg extension machine a couple of years ago, it was wreaking havoc on my knees. Took me about a year to get pain free. Haven't touched that machine since. I guess some people can do those with no problems, I'm not one of them.

Interesting.
I've just started doing them regularly at home so i'll watch out for knee pain.

It's a crappy leg attachment on my crappy bench and I have to do them one-legged because if I put too much weight on it, the back legs lift off the floor. LOL!
So it's pretty much lower weight with higher reps at the end of my leg workout.

DocHoss
02-10-2012, 07:50 PM
The resistance depends on more than the weight, it depends on the mechanics of the machine, which is different from machine to machine. You basically can only use it to gage your progress, but not to compair with other people across machines.

That's what bothers me the most about machines. When I'm in a different gym I have no way of knowing how I'm doing. Some machines that look the same are amazingly different. Some are real ego boosters while others are real ego deflators. At least when I squat or deadlift I know the weights are always the same.

CaptnC
02-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Well, as one only able to hit 500 lbs on leg press currently, *I* am impressed. Well done OP.

Well I guess I shouldn't have mentioned the leg extensions machine...my real brag is the leg press....

tsoden...can't rep ya again...so i owe ya!