PDA

View Full Version : Was discussing my routine on another forum, and hilarity ensued.

billb7581
02-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I was discussing my routine on a football forum I go to with another guy who's opinion I respect.

Basically the routine is

Squat 4x8
Bench 4x8
Bent over Row 4x8
Shoulder Press 4x8
Stiff Legged Deadlift 4x8
Curl 4x8
Calf Raise 4x8

Monday is heavy day wed is medium day 10% less fri is light day 20% less weight.

2 Warm up sets 2 working sets warm up with 25% AND 50% then work with your 10 rep max
week 2 do 9 reps, week 3 do 10 reps, week 4 do 11 reps week 5 do 12 reps.

Once you get to 12 reps you reset and move your weight up 10% and repeat the cycle.

How does this routine look to you? It starts off pretty easy, but it gets tough quick.. I was trembling on those 11th and 12 reps.

And another guy who I was not even talking too chimes in with

Honestly, its good to keep pushing yourself, but your body isn't a machine in that you can just increase the weights every week. You may hit a plateau that you just need to work through, and increasing the weights won't get you over the plateau...but most commonly will cause your strength to decrease. That's a problem with your routine..but if you listen to your body a bit...you should be okay (note-opening your body up to making the decision for you though is where your mind can possibly hold you back...so its a tradeoff)

I like the idea of it, but I recommend spending 2 -3 weeks in between these 5 week programs working the body at a different angle. Unless your goal is to be a powerlifter (which it isn't or this wouldn't be your program), you should concern yourself with building muscle the right, healthy way.

The different angle I am talking about is lots of core and body weight movements, lots of stretching/yoga. Maybe two weeks is fine, 3 would be a lot, but I can promise you, because I've been there, that if you build muscle the way you are doing without respect to flexibility and the tiniest of the muscle groups...you will face flexibility problems an significantly increase your risk of injury. This will keep you balanced...and increase your functional strength on par with your gym strength. Its a long, ardurous, boring as F road to get those two things when you have spent years lifting the wrong way.

I responded that I have never seen a powerlifter with a weak core, besides I'd look like an idiot in yoga pants

1slo5oh
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I look fabulous in Yoga pants...semi serious..lol.. Some people are just ignorant and dont know any better. Yesterday as I was doing some cable work there were two younger guys maybe early 20's and one was telling the other to start taking creatine and drinking a protein shake DIRECTLY after his workout...like keep it in your car and if you do that you will be jacked in like a month :facepalm: I really wanted to interject but the broscience was mildly entertaining..

billb7581
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
I hate it when self professed know it alls start blathering about functional strength and P90x. LOL. He started going on about hitting truck tires with hammers and stretching and all that. I work in a truck shop, I have to break tires down with a sledge and flip them all the time. Spare me the functional strength nonsense, I have enough strength to function LOL.

-=FLEX=-
02-09-2012, 09:41 AM
I already learned not to discuss lifting on non-lifting forums.

Dude on my car forum wanted to lose weight and started a thread. I gave him some pretty good advice, which I am sure lots here would have given him, and all the "enablers" started arguing with me, so I bailed on the thread. Stuf like "maybe that (cutting calories) works for you, but it's not going to work for everyone" type of crap.

More recently on another car forum someone started a thread about lifting and one well respected guy that's been around for a while made two hilarious statements:

1) "I stopped lifitng because I got too big"

2) "I never had to train legs because I ran every week"

I didn't even reply, but holy heck.....

-=FLEX=-
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Spare me the functional strength nonsense, I have enough strength to function LOL.

LMAO! :D

asdf

billb7581
02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
This was on a Football forum, and there is a guy there, who is an old school trainer (when I asked him for a quick routine one time that I could do quickly, it was something like Bench, squat, dead, and dips or something like that), who's opinion I respect... I wasn't even talking to this dude LOL.

1slo5oh
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
I already learned not to discuss lifting on non-lifting forums.

Dude on my car forum wanted to lose weight and started a thread. I gave him some pretty good advice, which I am sure lots here would have given him, and all the "enablers" started arguing with me, so I bailed on the thread. Stuf like "maybe that (cutting calories) works for you, but it's not going to work for everyone" type of crap.

Been there done that...I know how to lose weight...I've done it. But the same thing on my local racing forum happened , like you I gave advice many here would have given and I got accused of being a know it all...

and I quote

Know it all? OOOOH KAY...have fun being a fat A$$ maybe if you keep flapping your cock holster about being fat you might burn a few calories while your at it

Needless to say I dont help out around there when somebody asks for weight loss advice anymore...They seem to have it all figured out....

Jumbaco for breakfast
Triple Bacon Cheeseburger for lunch
Fried Chicken for dinner washed down with a 2L of Dr.Pepper
Finish the night off behind a monitor bitching about being fat...

billb7581
02-09-2012, 10:19 AM

More recently on another car forum someone started a thread about lifting and one well respected guy that's been around for a while made two hilarious statements:

I didn't even reply, but holy heck.....

LOL like the laws of Thermodynamics dont apply to the first guy....... I lost 16 pounds in a month...my mission statement " Stop eating so much you fat friggin bastard" LOL

billb7581
02-09-2012, 10:22 AM
That guy over at Leangains.com has a funny article about why people dont see any gains..... one of them is if you are sitting on a rubber ball doing anything, you need to cut that **** out and lift some weights LOL.

hardNheavy2011
02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
That guy over at Leangains.com has a funny article about why people dont see any gains..... one of them is if you are sitting on a rubber ball doing anything, you need to cut that **** out and lift some weights LOL.

LMAO!! That is some damn sound advice!! :D

billb7581
02-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Here's a few snippets from the article, and the link... warning, salty language ahead LOL> also his site barely loads with IE, you need to use Chrome.

"When it comes to strength training, the right choices are limited and uncomplicated. There are right and wrong ways to do things, not "it depends", not alternative theories based on new science that we need to investigate or try. Basic do's and don't's that never change. Unfortunately, these fundamental training principles are lost to many, and stumbling over them is like finding a needle in a haystack."

11. You're "training the core"...and it involves a Swiss Ball, Bosu Ball or something else that makes you look like an idiot.

"Training the core" is a phrase that is all too often used by people who are afraid to squat. You don't need special movements for the core, because it comes with the territory if you squat, deadlift, press and chin. No one squats 2 x body weight with a weak core.

12. You want that Tyler Durden look.

Whenever I hear a client say this, alarm bells go off. There's nothing wrong in having ideals. The problem is all the pain I feel after seeing the dumb **** that follows in the questionnaire, under the part where I ask them about their current training routine. I'll often see some horrifying cardio/pump'n'tone hybrid, some celebrity workout variety or the kind you'd expect to see in those kind of routines. Nothing more faddish than made-up "celebrity workouts". God damn, how I hate those.

Want to look like Tyler Durden? Then you need to build up some modest amount of muscle and then you need to lose fat, period. The muscle is best built with heavy weight training, not 15-25-rep set flyes followed by an hour in the pec deck machine. Your gut is best lost with a good diet, not "fat burning workouts"/tons of cardio/pump'n'tone crapola. All those will do is leave you under-muscled, weak and with a severe case of ****arounditis."

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Training

db_ggmm
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM

lol very good

Kraken
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I found that 90% of football players have no clue how to train. None of them realize that, "zomg, you mean not every position should have the same routine!!". Pretty sure a lineman wouldn't have the same routine as a running back, yet they all seem to have the same routine.

Anyway, I look at your routine and I see a lot of core work. Some people think that if you aren't doing crunches, you aren't doing core work...what a bunch of bologna. Angle work? Come on, that's another issue I don't want to get started on. "Angle training" in the sense that most people think of it is largely a myth. That's for another thread though.

The important thing is, that you have a DE and ME day for this kind of routine, or you WILL burn out your CNS with this, but you already have that worked out. Take a rest day when you need them, eat good, listen to your body and not the football forums if you want to manage your gains. You're on the right track.

JOHN GARGANI
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM

how do you like that! I am taking 3 months off also, because I got so big, none of my clothes fit....

and I don't have to train legs, because I walk up the stairs a lot!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

billb7581
02-09-2012, 06:14 PM
The important thing is, that you have a DE and ME day for this kind of routine, or you WILL burn out your CNS with this, but you already have that worked out.

Forgive me for being a dumb ass, but what does this mean?

Kraken
02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Forgive me for being a dumb ass, but what does this mean?

Max effort = heavy
Dynamic effort = Lighter, explosive movements

billb7581
02-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Max effort = heavy
Dynamic effort = Lighter, explosive movements

Thanks man.. yea, I think that sort of thing is built in with the heavy medium and light days..... from every angle I have looked at it, it seems like a solid routine. Some may say 10percent every five weeks is too slow, but I think it will move me along at a good pace and keep my gym strength on par with my core, ligament and tendon strength.

I enjoy doing it, so that's probably 90 percent of the battle.

Brackneyc
02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Did any of these guys have pics to back up their claims. I find that to be a hell of a good start in determining whether someone knows wtf they are talking about.

billb7581
02-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Na, the one guy claimed he got "too musclebound" when he was younger because he didnt stretch enough, or some such nonsense. I told him he was full of ****.