PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit article...

sok454
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Saw this article on yahoo this morning. Found it very true in terms of the people I know who do it and how it really is a cult like following.

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/fitness/inside-cult-crossfit

2BLAZERS
02-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Crossfit, is not for me, not for everyone, but for some its the greatest thing since sliced bread. If you don't want to be a bodybuilder or powerlifter but you just want to be ''in shape'' it works great. And like all gyms and people involved its more localized. If the trainer/coach is really good you can do really well. If its a pisspoor coach/trainer then you could get hurt. The big thing is Crossfit is about intensity which is surely lacking in many weight rooms in America....Watch some youtube video's of Crossfit training then watch what people do at your own gym....my gym has a lot of slackers who run their mouth more then anything. Then when they pick up a dumbbell its the same dumbbell weight they've been using for 10 years. They have the same gut as five years ago and as soon as they're done they go back home to their recliner and Oreos.

x-trainer ben
02-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Saw this article on yahoo this morning. Found it very true in terms of the people I know who do it and how it really is a cult like following.

A good read. I wondered why all of these crossfit studios were popping up all over metro Washington Dc and now i kind of get it. Fast, circuit training with camaraderie. If it gets people moving, great.

-=FLEX=-
02-09-2012, 08:49 AM
The appeal of CrossFit—a conditioning program that mixes Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, calisthenics, gymnastics, sprints, plyometrics, and a few hard-to-categorize exercises like rope climbing—is that the workouts are short, intense, and constantly changing.

Sounds like the perfect workout for people with no clear cut goals and zero intent on measuring progress.

No wonder it's so popular.

x-trainer ben
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Sounds like the perfect workout for people with no clear cut goals and zero intent on measuring progress.

True, but some people need a "game" to stay interested in fitness. I can't tell you how many times i have heard from friends and family how boring sets and reps are; this MAY solve that issue for them.

dday39
02-09-2012, 09:06 AM
old article is old

sok454
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Its definitely hard to measure progress if you don't if you are always doing something different. I know there is benefits to switching up excercises and workouts from time to time but even doing that you atelast can measure some sort of progress towards a goal. Like using incline vs flat bench from time to time and db vs bb. in the end I can still measure my improvement at any time.

BloodySalad
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Sounds like the perfect way to get a bad injury:

My first WOD consisted of 12 "chest to deck" pushups, 9 deadlifts with 225 pounds, and 15 jumps onto a 24-inch box. That was one round; the challenge was to complete as many rounds as possible in 15 minutes.

Fair enough with the push-ups and jumps, but deadlifting to a time limit? That's just asking for trouble.

I still had 10 minutes to go. And I wasn't the only one suffering. Pushups around the room became increasingly bendy, jumps turned wobbly, deadlifts turned ugly.

225lbs is certainly enough to screw up your back if you aren't using good form. I wonder how many people have gone there to get fit and ended up in a worse state than when they started.

sok454
02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
old article is old
new article to me is new.

bigtallox
02-09-2012, 09:18 AM

It seems to me crossfit is kind of like a light version of strongman, I'd rather do strongman.

Medtreker
02-09-2012, 09:20 AM
when they pick up a dumbbell its the same dumbbell weight they've been using for 10 years.

Some of my dumbells are way older than 10 years, but mine use interchangeable plates and spin-ons. :)

DocTats
02-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I read this yesterday, there's also a longer article about it on T-Nation that's a couple of years old http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/the_truth_about_crossfit

I like the idea of Crossfit (although I do not do it) actually but do cringe at the use of Olympic lift, squats, deadlifts and their variants as endurance exercise, maybe better to limit the "big muscle" activity to pulling/pushing sleds. I think a challenging circuit of running, some safer lifts, bodyweight exercises, jumping rope, pulling/pushing sleds etc will get you in excellent condition and to many, that is their goals. I think for people to look at Crossfits from the POV of a bodybuilder, powerlifter or even other athletic endeavors like boxing will not see any or much use for it and I can understand that. There are other markers of fitness like increasing VO2 max, weight loss etc so I do think that there are goals that can be attained in the general sense with this and some people seem to have fun with it (kind of like me with the jump rope :))

To make you cringe, Crossfits gone bad (the winner nearly kills his knees but worse, the guy in the back neatly kills himself)

GLoKBmPQzDo

Big_Sky_Guy
02-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Perfect for people like my wife who was an NCAA track and cross-county runner. She always loved the more circuit oriented work, yet also loves to lift. I use it for functional cardio as a treadmill is like a death sentence to me.

The dangers really come with the trainers not staying focused on injury prevention and/or not insisting people slow the hel! down and keep form.

I see it like BTO- this is like a light weight strongman training that is more endurance focused.

Bo_Flecks
02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
To make you cringe, Crossfits gone bad (the winner nearly kills his knees but worse, the guy in the back neatly kills himself)

Does it make me a bad person if I LOLd at that?

litljay
02-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Perfect for people like my wife who was an NCAA track and cross-county runner. She always loved the more circuit oriented work, yet also loves to lift. I use it for functional cardio as a treadmill is like a death sentence to me.

This is why it has intrigued me a little.

The dangers really come with the trainers not staying focused on injury prevention and/or not insisting people slow the hel! down and keep form.

This is why it scares me a lot.

JRT6
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Crossfit? Phhhhft, I'd rather go to a whore for a hug.

Ponceme
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
It is a pretty good read, Yes its true if you dont practice the form correctly prior to lifting heavy weight you will most likely injure yourself, but this goes for any fitness regime. If you know your WOD requires a metric ton of reps then simply lower your weight so you are putting your body at less risk. Be smart and know your limit.

Big_Sky_Guy
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
JRT- Have you gone to a whore for a hug??? If so, you may stay for more! ;)

My profile shows I am not your average CFer! I really did not think I would get into it. But the atmophere of All Guts or No Glory workouts being done together is like a miniature Worlds Strongest Man Comp (obviously NOT, but you get what I mean).

Listening to people grunt out reps as they are gassing out and just straight up give it there all is inspiring. Some people do that at the regular gym. Most everyone at a CF Gym as that is what we are there to do.

I personally modify a lot of workouts to do less reps with more weight as I am not there to get skinny lean, just getting some functional cardio. If we had a SM group in the viscinity I would be there!

DE_58
02-09-2012, 11:57 AM
It seems to me crossfit is kind of like a light version of strongman, I'd rather do strongman.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk8mufglG71qfpzem.gif

GnomusMaximus
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't see it as light weight strongman, in some ways yes but there is alot in CF that isn't in SM. Not sure how many strongman contests had watt bikes, monkey bars, swimming, hand walking and a bunch of other stuff. Contradictory to what I just said I have been using alot of CF workouts in my training trying to get my conditioning improved, and to be honest it is working, very well. My big problems with it are the sort of cult vs. culture aspect. There is alot of almost indoctrination that goes on from terminology that makes you seem like one of the initiated and an in your face enthusiasm that really gets on my nerves. Although not present in all the crossfit enthusiasts I have met, there does seem to be a certain annoying smugness that is prevalent in the movement. So I guess I like what they do as part of what i do, but not quite willing to gulp the Kool-Aid.

ironwill2008
02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Does it make me a bad person if I LOLd at that?

Try this one on for size; the notorious "kipping" pullups:

3H5CUSgCF3s

nixter
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
The unsafe lifting is one thing but the culti-ness is what annoys me. I keep seeing all these guys at work sporting vibram 5 fingers, growing their hair long, and talking about how awesome paleo is. I suppose any exercise is better than the no exercise these guys were doing before but, ugh.

GnomusMaximus
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Always loved this one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2b2x6C5o0

Pike717
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM
There is a good article on crossfit in this months Muscle & Fitness mag., I incorporate some of it into my cardio workouts but would never do squats and dead lifts etc. as part of a timed exercise. Pike

Big_Sky_Guy
02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Like not all gyms are the same. Not all CF are the same.

We are all wise enough to understand that we cannot roll it all up into 1.

Couple photos from the website of a CF owner that I am friends with. Will give a perspective on what their goals are.

x-trainer ben
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
You must admit that cross fit may not be for us, but it is good to get more people exercising.

ArchAngel'73
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Everbody wanna be a crossfitter but nobody wanna lift no light ass weight while running around the room lookin' like trained chimpanzees doin' a circus act.

Srsly, looks tough, ain't gonna touch it with a 10' pole as it doesn't help me with my goals.

If I was ever to train differently it would be like MMA fighters do, not this.

sok454
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z2b2x6C5o0
OH SH*T those are funny.

gpo613
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
It would seem to me that doing the circuits or WOD everyday over and over just puts you in harms way too often.

Like how the NFL hardly practices with pads during the week anymore and when they do they don't hit all the often.

I could see combining a solid weight lifting program along with some good cardio, then you would be able to compete in a competition.

From what I understand they are training like it is a competition everyday that they train. Usually that is not the best way to train. It usually is more beneficial to break something down into parts and master the parts and then bring it all together. I may be wrong though.

JRT6
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM
You must admit that cross fit may not be for us, but it is good to get more people exercising.

That's like saying people should drink more Jack Daniels because they need more fluids.

JRT6
02-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I read this yesterday, there's also a longer article about it on T-Nation that's a couple of years old http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_investigative/the_truth_about_crossfit

I like the idea of Crossfit (although I do not do it) actually but do cringe at the use of Olympic lift, squats, deadlifts and their variants as endurance exercise, maybe better to limit the "big muscle" activity to pulling/pushing sleds. I think a challenging circuit of running, some safer lifts, bodyweight exercises, jumping rope, pulling/pushing sleds etc will get you in excellent condition and to many, that is their goals. I think for people to look at Crossfits from the POV of a bodybuilder, powerlifter or even other athletic endeavors like boxing will not see any or much use for it and I can understand that. There are other markers of fitness like increasing VO2 max, weight loss etc so I do think that there are goals that can be attained in the general sense with this and some people seem to have fun with it (kind of like me with the jump rope :))

GLoKBmPQzDo

That guy in the back wrecking geting seriously ****ed up hurt is the perfect metaphor crossfit.

GuyJin
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Crossfit makes you good at doing some movements well and others badly. The guys in the vids above, well, much respect for snatching all that weight, but the form made me grab my knees in reaction. Then the guy in the black shirt getting clobbered with his own weight sealed the deal.

No, not all Crossfit is bad per se. If you use good form, even with the rush factor, it can definitely make you fitter. But it doesn't make you as strong (for the vast majority of CF'ers although there are always some outliers) as you could be with a more conventional programme. There is also the risk factor, something I'm not willing to engage in. If by doing lots of weight in the snatch and the clean and jerk, which are riskier exercises, say, than the military press or the bench, and doing lots of reps even at sub-max weight in a set time frame, then you run the risk of form breaking down and getting mauled by your own barbell, as demonstrated so fittingly in the vid.

I think if you scaled it down by doing, say, five reps in four or five exercises, you would have better results in terms of strength and size and over time, your conditioning would come up. There was an article in this month's IRONMAN mag (with Lee Labrada on the cover) and it detailed how you could do it. No, I didn't agree with everything the author said, but it was an interesting read.

Some CF'ers, though, do come on a bit cult-like, but that will happen with pretty much any programme out there. Sip the Kool-Aid or chug it down if you like. I'll do for me and the CF-ers can do for themselves.

llahhsoj
02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
215, Are the weights different or something?

DSUP
02-10-2012, 01:59 AM

3Z2b2x6C5o0

Now that's some funny chit.

db_ggmm
02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Something in the back of my mind suggests I'd eventually get killed if I did Crossfit. The article guy's weight loss at 141 pounds is kinda ridiculous. Plus, while I am working up to a routine 2xBW DL - doing 225's for time at 1.5xBW sounds like a bad idea. I started lifting at 33 or so and have a really strong respect for the bar and being safe with it.