PDA

View Full Version : Critique plus yer eyeball on BF%

DorianL
02-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Gentlemen,

I am too close to the animal for proper observation... in fact I am the animal.

Been at this seriously for about six months. Been serious about cutting for the past 6 weeks.

I'm 5'10 in at 195lbs.

I am not getting any response at the Losing Fat forum. I am thinking about 19%. What say you?

As for progress, please critique. I want a balanced, elegant build. Not sure I can achieve that. I think I look quite heavy set - a la short and stocky. I am not sure there is much I can do about that. Or perhaps 14% BF or less and that will come.

I think my weakest point is my chest. What looks strong to you? What needs work?

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/beb77cc1.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/a070045f.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/9762e413.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/0548c8b5.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/140816ce.jpg

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/8c6f0567.jpg

Sorry - forgot to take a shirtless side shot

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/70f4f696.jpg

If I look bored as hell, it's because any other facial expression on me looks goofy on such pics.

polishedball
02-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Legs to me look the best. I would work on your traps / shoulders somehow, do you do DL's? Chest may look better once you drop some more weight. I also like Dips leaning forward for chest shoulders, but thats me. Congrats on your progress.

DorianL
02-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks chief!

Indeed! the legs always seem to catch on VERY quickly. In fact I tend not to go too heavy to avoid them getting disproportionately big. I can't get the rest to follow. (I do admire Tom Platz tho')

I sincerely hope the chest improves once I get rid of those last pounds. I seem to glean that upper pecs are good.

Traps I hit a ceiling. I do shrug sets of 90lbs DBs... they don't have any heavier. With a BB, my butt or something else gets in the way :D. It's just uncomfortable with a BB. I will probably buy some cord to strap extra weight to my wrists.

I love forward dips. Typically sets with 70lbs around my waist.

DL I need to figure out a way to keep my grip on there - buy straps I suppose. Short hands, my grip keeps slipping already at 220lbs. DL will help shoulders and traps?

polishedball
02-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Nice lifts!, Yes Deads imo help with about everything including back arms shoulders legs and traps. Do you do your deadlifts one hand over one under for grip? You can try this grip for shrugs also, it could be more comfortable. Swapping them like that increased my grip strength by 100 pounds easy.

I'm kinda spoiled my "Y" not even a real gym has DB's up to 150's :)

Thanks chief!

Indeed! the legs always seem to catch on VERY quickly. In fact I tend not to go too heavy to avoid them getting disproportionately big. I can't get the rest to follow. (I do admire Tom Platz tho')

I sincerely hope the chest improves once I get rid of those last pounds. I seem to glean that upper pecs are good.

Traps I hit a ceiling. I do shrug sets of 90lbs DBs... they don't have any heavier. With a BB, my butt or something else gets in the way :D. It's just uncomfortable with a BB. I will probably buy some cord to strap extra weight to my wrists.

I love forward dips. Typically sets with 70lbs around my waist.

DL I need to figure out a way to keep my grip on there - buy straps I suppose. Short hands, my grip keeps slipping already at 220lbs. DL will help shoulders and traps?

DorianL
02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks!!!!

I DL palms down... for some reason my wrists wont turn that far. Will try again tho.

Many thanks for feedback...

flat6nut
02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
You said 19, my guess was going to be 20%. Think your close...good base to start banging the weights. Good luck.

DorianL
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
Awesome! Thanks!!!

I think us wannabes always are a bit optimistic in our self assessment of BF%

Thanks...

TenThreeFive
02-09-2012, 08:32 AM
BF% means squat, its how you look in the mirror and feel in your clothes. Being that you want an 'elegant' physique, you need to lift heavy doing compounds, with focus on delts and upper chest.

Whats a table lamp doing in the middle of your gym? Is it an elegant gym? :D

CardinalRB34
02-09-2012, 08:32 AM
good base bro. yeah bf% looks to be in the high teens or low 20's.... I like the suggestion to do some heavy DEADS. I do feel like you could use more back thickness, plus the heavy deads would build your traps too. Focus on incline work for your chest and do the sh!t out of some side laterals for some more shoulder width. Overall - you look good!!

DorianL
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the feedback... and kind, encouraging words!

"What is that table lamp..." LMBO!!! Yes, I go to two clubs. One is quite elegant (I got grandfathered in) and the other is quite gritty; 'workout four times a week... sometimes at noon close to my workplace. Neither has DB over 90lbs

Thanks for tip on BF%, TenThreeFive. I really don't care that much, I am just trying to figure out how many more pounds I still need to trim off to reach your BF% level.

CardinalRB34, what do you guys mean by back "thickness?" Front to rear on the lat? Widened V?

Side lats: check!

Incline chest: check!

Deads: check!

My goal would be to compete in a few years.

billb7581
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
BRB, having my BF remeasured... 27 percent seems low for me if you're rocking 20

ljimd
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I would guess you at @20% b/f (it's all a guess without a test). Try taking some b/f off and reevaluate. Looks like you have a solid base. JMO.

DorianL
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
BRB, having my BF remeasured... 27 percent seems low for me if you're rocking 20

Ummmm... Whot?

billb7581
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
I was measured twice at 27% BF but you look a hella lot leaner than me LOL.

Edit.......fuuuuuuuu and your superior Belgian arm genetics. My arms suck LOL

cmoore
02-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I think you look solid brother. Keep dialing in your diet plan to rip you up a bit and head to the beach.

gpo613
02-09-2012, 12:30 PM
I think you have a solid base of muscle to work from. If you have the patience and discipline I would eat right at maintenance and just kill it on the lifts.

Basically do a recomp.

nlsecor
02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I think 19% is pretty close. I was right there and have dropped to about 14. I'll tell you what I did and you can adopt some all or none.
1. I used a scivation plan that my friend adopted and may have modified. the basics is 6 movements every work out. chest, back, shoulders, bi, tri, shrug. Legs is seperate day. upper 3 days, legs 2 days, and get 15 minutes of cardio ( at least) after every workout. lifts weight, reps, and sets vary.

week 1. is 2 sets, week 2 is 3 sets, week 3 is 4 sets, week 4 is 5 sets.

it looks a little different all three days on upper.

bench, pull ups, db military, straight bar curl, skull crushers, bar shrugs.
incline bench db or bb, db or bb row, shoulder flys, db curl, tri push down, db shrug.
decline bench, pull ups, straight bar military or smith machine, isolation curl, close grip bench, shrugs.

speed is a factor. do it as fast as possible

Once you get to the 5 setters, you will be blowing away the original results

I am 38, bench 230 4 times 6 feet 1 and weigh 197 and I am pretty big framed.

Current goal 10% body fat which means less cheating on nutrition.

Vytis
02-09-2012, 02:18 PM
I think you're pretty much on in terms of BF%. What I can suggest is that you do not set any limitations for yourself. If you truely want to compete then go for it. You seem to have good structure. Just get your diet in check, train hard and smart and in a two year period (if that's your timeline) then you should be able to compete. I think you may surprise yourself once you start dipping into the single BF %'s.

sok454
02-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Nice job man. I give props to anyone that will post pics like that! especially before they are all shredded up! I really need to suck it up and throw myself to the wolves!

CardinalRB34
02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
width - usually refers to the "V" from right to left.

thickness - would refer to the thickness from front to back.

so when it's suggested to do more ROWS and DEADS to build more back thickness - you're talking about the depth of the muscles. Usually wide grip pullups or pulldowns are suggested to build more width.. which is sometimes referred to as the "V" taper or wingspan. And these suggestions are being really critical - overall you have a great physique!!

billb7581
02-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Props for putting up pictures, I need to work out for 6 more months before I can put up a shirtless pic without getting laughed out of the forum LOL.

tsoden
02-10-2012, 05:51 AM
Great Picts OP. Looking solid!

David Wiggins
02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
About right on the BF. I would suggest working on upper back / traps, and upper chest.

Much respect for pics and honest feedback request.

Keep working!

llahhsoj
02-10-2012, 06:25 AM
I would agree with the 20% range that some of the previous posters have said. Your legs look the best. For your age, I think that is a decent base to start with. Good luck!

DorianL
02-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your feedback. Very, very motivating. I can only return the courtesy and report back in three months with more progress pics.

Very best to all and thanks again!!!!!

D

TenThreeFive
02-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your feedback. Very, very motivating. I can only return the courtesy and report back in three months with more progress pics.

Very best to all and thanks again!!!!!

DOk, we will hold you to this promise of pictures. See you May 10! Good luck!!

Bofrere21
02-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Yup my first idea was around 20% BF too!

Eric

DorianL
02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Ok, we will hold you to this promise of pictures. See you May 10! Good luck!!

Heheheheh - I figured that tall order would commit me.

Thanks to you guys I feel even more motivated and committed.

I can always look back where I came from -

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/DSC05689.jpg

'hard to believe this is me.

See you soon,

D.

EDIT - And nope, no shirtless pics of this era...

DorianL
03-30-2012, 06:03 AM
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd204/irabel457/ba39ff46.jpg