PDA

View Full Version : From paralyzed to competitor?

ausdiesel
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Hey Everyone, I am looking for a bit of advice, In 2008 I had a spinal reconstruction surgery and was paralyzed for about a year. since then ive been in the gym working on my strength. Now im in shape but I never got my weight back. Not worried about that to much. I would like to get my physique into competition quality. I can do this in time. I was wondering if anyone knew what the weightclasses are for shows. I am in NJ and have never competed before, but follow the sport. I was on the NJNPC site and they did not list their minimum weight class. I weigh 130-135 now, but pressing for a gain. Also I have a 2 anda half foot scar from the back of my neck to my tailbone. Think that will hurt my scores? Maybe a tan will cover it up, its not brutal looking.

Thank guys,

Austin

foresail
02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
NJNPC posted an entry form on their site listing divisions and weight classes. http://www.njnpc.com/2012/Shows/MidAtlantic/2012EntryForm.doc This is last year’s: http://www.njnpc.com/2011/Shows/MidAtlantic/2011EntryFormRev.doc

jdtemple
02-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Reps for perseverance!

(Sorry, I don't know the answer to your questions.)

DubfromGA
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
No help, either, I'm afraid.....but highly impressed with your drive and ambition.

Much respect !!!

Repped

DocTats
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't know anything about how bodybuilding contests are scored so can't help regarding scars but if you do compete after your ordeal, you're a winner in my book

ArchAngel'73
02-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I don't have the answer to your weight class questions but offer a little insight and encouragment.

Take a look @ this guy's journal;
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133849951
-if your mind ever tells you you can't do this its full of sh*t because this guy does. And during a diet every doubt and fear will come out. Remember this guy when times get rough.

As for your scar...no it will not affect your placing.
You have a write up to do pre-competition, you might want to write down what you're recovering from. The audience will eat it up and some might be further inspired by YOU.
The judges will not mark you down for this.

If you're going to do a tested show muscle mass will not win you the show...shape and conditioning will. So get a reasonable amount of muscle back but do not wait until you feel jacked up enough to compete. These shows are won and lost on conditioning.

ljimd
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't have the answer to your weight class questions but offer a little insight and encouragment.

Take a look @ this guy's journal;
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133849951
-if your mind ever tells you you can't do this its full of sh*t because this guy does. And during a diet every doubt and fear will come out. Remember this guy when times get rough.

As for your scar...no it will not affect your placing.
You have a write up to do pre-competition, you might want to write down what you're recovering from. The audience will eat it up and some might be further inspired by YOU.
The judges will not mark you down for this.

If you're going to do a tested show muscle mass will not win you the show...shape and conditioning will. So get a reasonable amount of muscle back but do not wait until you feel jacked up enough to compete. These shows are won and lost on conditioning.

^^^^^^^ this covers it well. Good luck. It's a very worthy goal.

ausdiesel
02-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. Im going to keep working on my conditioning and enter the show this summer! I really appreciate your help and support everyone!

IronCharles
02-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Good for you for not letting hardships hold you back. These people posting threads about needing motivation, how hard it is to make it to the gym because they work full time, how difficult it is to do well because all their friends are eating Big Macs while they have to suffer eating tuna and rice, etc, etc... need to look at your example and feel ashamed of themselves. Handicaps and other disadvantages are stumbling blocks only when we allow them to be. Just keep doing what you're doing, and never lose sight of your goals.

pharmamarketer
02-10-2012, 04:00 AM
I have no advice when it comes to contests but wanted to say congrats. Most would not have that kind of drive

ausdiesel
02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Thats IronCharles much appreciated! I work full time now and have a child and im just trying to keep my life full of things I enjoy.

Thanks Pharmamarketer!

Appreciate everyones support and help.

pvsampson
02-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Great story man.To see the drive and determination you have after a such serious injury is truly inspiring.

Well done,and will be looking forward to seeing (reports of) you on stage.

ausdiesel
02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
for sure sampson, I will be posting pics tomorow of my progress.

drudixon
02-12-2012, 05:05 AM
A natural tan will make it worse. Do spray on.

ausdiesel
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
A natural tan will make it worse. Do spray on.

I plan to, I personally would never tan in a booth. I am already tan by nature and not wanting cancer lol.

pvsampson
02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I plan to, I personally would never tan in a booth. I am already tan by nature and not wanting cancer lol.

That is very smart thinking.Booths/beds will be outlawed here in 2014,precisely because they are proven to cause skin cancer.UV light and human skin do not mix well.

ausdiesel
02-17-2012, 11:43 PM
thats a good move to ban it. looking good isnt worth dying over. same reason i wont use roids. I had cancer removed from my head before. not fun! I never want to do that **** again man. Staying safe and smart.