PDA

View Full Version : 60 Years Young -- WTF am I doing wrong? (3K, reps)

Streetbull
02-08-2012, 02:30 PM
About 5 years ago, my T levels crashed and I 'gained' some fat that refuses to go away. I'm on HRT and an anti-E (hope that doesn't get me banned).

Never had a spare tire until age 55. Any ideas, hints? I eat 6 meals per day, very small portions, about 450 cals per meal. Cut to 400 and hope for the best?

Many thanks for any help.

ljimd
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
About 5 years ago, my T levels crashed and I 'gained' some fat that refuses to go away. I'm on HRT and an anti-E (hope that doesn't get me banned).

Never had a spare tire until age 55. Any ideas, hints? I eat 6 meals per day, very small portions, about 450 cals per meal. Cut to 400 and hope for the best?

Sure does seems to get tougher as we get older doesn't it? Well, I don't have any magic answers. All I can do is wish you luck and encourage you to continue to train, watch your diet and hope for the best. There is no alternative.

crupiea
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
450 x 6 = 2700 cals per day.

there is your problem. you are eating a bit too much.

I think cutting to 400 cal meals will help alot. try it for a week and see how it goes.

even at that it cuts out 300 cals per day/ 2100 per week. thats a bit over 1/2 a pound factoring zero cheating.

what is your workout routine like? how much cardio?

rnacdaley
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I think it is a matter of not creating a deficit. At 6'2" and over 230 I would think 2700 cals would not be too much. I would evaluate routine and maybe take the cals down to around 2400 and see what happens after a few weeks. Sounds like you have been doing this for a while so I am sure you will get back on track.

Streetbull
02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
450 x 6 = 2700 cals per day.

there is your problem. you are eating a bit too much.

I think cutting to 400 cal meals will help alot. try it for a week and see how it goes.

even at that it cuts out 300 cals per day/ 2100 per week. thats a bit over 1/2 a pound factoring zero cheating.

what is your workout routine like? how much cardio?

I row on an ergometer 3 to 5 times per week, 10k, first thing AM. Then 3 afternoons per week, I follow a very brief 5 x 5 program of dl, squats, and bp.

Can't do heavy upper body because I literally tore my shoulder all to hell doing a Filipino martial art called Kina Mutai some time ago.

I think the cardio is good, will try cutting the cals by 50 and see. I am NOT going to be an old fat man! :)

Edit: reps on recharge for everyone. TY gentlemen!

Tommy W.
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't think you need to eat a bunch of small meals. 2 or 3 are fine. at your weight and height I'd take in around 2,000 cals max. You don't need to be feeding your fat. Go to 2,000 and then 1,800 in a few weeks. as you get leaner your maintenance cals drop because you're hauling around less weight all day.

JStrez
02-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I take in 4 meals for my cut that equals out to 2300 Calories

Tommy W.
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I take in 4 meals for my cut that equals out to 2300 Calories

You're 17 and he's 55

Meatpants
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Hard to say with that kind of limited info. Whats you macro breakdown look like, and when is the last time you had your levels test checked? Also, the you mentioned you can row, but not do upper body work. Doesn't the rowing kill your shoulder?

yakabebe
02-08-2012, 10:02 PM
FWIW
BW X 12cal
230 x 12 is likely to be your basal metabolic rate needs

Work around that # based upon activities and body fat and the goal you have

Having said that...also finding out your macro %'s would be good

And also...are you being utterly honest about the intake? No booze? No treats? Do you measure portions?

Good luck.

Streetbull
02-09-2012, 03:33 AM
Hard to say with that kind of limited info. Whats you macro breakdown look like, and when is the last time you had your levels test checked? Also, the you mentioned you can row, but not do upper body work. Doesn't the rowing kill your shoulder?

My macro breakdown is 40-40-20, carbs being the 20. Carbs affect me badly so only complex only. I eat a lot seeds and walnuts as part of that.

Rowing is not hard on my shoulder. The load is light and actually helps. A 10 k stresses your butt more than anything. :)

My T level was 880 ng/dl, just slightly above max for my age. The E was up slightly so doc put me on Ana.

I guess the solution is the obvious one -- keep slightly cutting cals until the fat goes.

NorwichGrad
02-09-2012, 05:59 AM
Hey! How are you Mr. Streetbull?

Good to see you here. First thing you gotta do is to spend less time in the Religion / Politics section. R/P will only get your BP up. Elevated BP is not good for you. Stick around here more often. Lots of knowledgeable fellas here.

+1 on the macro thingy that many have already mentioned.

You do cardio - i.e. rowing. Check.

You do lift weights - DL, Squat, BP. Check.

You ever thought of adding explosive lifting to your routine? And no, I'm not necessarily talking about Olympic lifting. I'm talking about kettlebell training and plyometrics. 'Exploding' is a great way to speed up metabolism a bit. You could also add strongman-type training to your routine to increase your heart rate a bit.. Just a thought.

We have KB experts and strongmen (actually a STRONGMAN - BigTallOx) here who can help you with a training program if interested..

Meatpants
02-09-2012, 06:53 AM
My macro breakdown is 40-40-20, carbs being the 20. Carbs affect me badly so only complex only. I eat a lot seeds and walnuts as part of that.

Rowing is not hard on my shoulder. The load is light and actually helps. A 10 k stresses your butt more than anything. :)

My T level was 880 ng/dl, just slightly above max for my age. The E was up slightly so doc put me on Ana.

I guess the solution is the obvious one -- keep slightly cutting cals until the fat goes.

Sounds like a good plan. I would start slow as well, and go for slow fat loss, rather than drastic, and sacrifice muscle loss. You could also try something like keto, and ditch the carbs all together, or carb cycling.

zedx
02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
For one eating 6 times a day.. your digestive system never gets a rest. It deserves a rest and it's healthy also. Eating 3 times a day if fine.

Streetbull
02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Hey! How are you Mr. Streetbull?

Good to see you here. First thing you gotta do is to spend less time in the Religion / Politics section. R/P will only get your BP up. Elevated BP is not good for you. Stick around here more often. Lots of knowledgeable fellas here.

+1 on the macro thingy that many have already mentioned.

You do cardio - i.e. rowing. Check.

You do lift weights - DL, Squat, BP. Check.

You ever thought of adding explosive lifting to your routine? And no, I'm not necessarily talking about Olympic lifting. I'm talking about kettlebell training and plyometrics. 'Exploding' is a great way to speed up metabolism a bit. You could also add strongman-type training to your routine to increase your heart rate a bit.. Just a thought.

We have KB experts and strongmen (actually a STRONGMAN - BigTallOx) here who can help you with a training program if interested..

I actually have some kb, 1 poods. The trouble is my left shoulder. Had a sports med doc look it over and he said that there is not much other than rest. Well, I'm too stubborn to do that TOTALLY so I press but in the 20-30 range, where the pain is minimal. I also use a fairly narrow grip and that helps. The wider the grip, the more pain.

Oddly, I can do chins and the pain is minimal also. Just the pressing...getting older just isn't fun -- just watching my younger son doing burpees + (burpee with a chinup at the end of each jump) makes me jealous! :)

Edit: I am trying to rep everyone, but it says I have to wait.

Streetbull
02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
For one eating 6 times a day.. your digestive system never gets a rest. It deserves a rest and it's healthy also. Eating 3 times a day if fine.

Eating 6 times per day was actually somewhat forced on me -- I have a hiatal hernia in my stomach and get full very quickly. The surgeon won't operate (he says) until it really bothers me, and I'm fine with that. :)

Streetbull
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
FWIW
BW X 12cal
230 x 12 is likely to be your basal metabolic rate needs

Work around that # based upon activities and body fat and the goal you have

Having said that...also finding out your macro %'s would be good

And also...are you being utterly honest about the intake? No booze? No treats? Do you measure portions?

Good luck.

No booze, no smoking, very rare cake (like on family birthdays -- carbs really mess me up).

I often eat oatmeal mixed with protein powder for breakfast. Then I eat seeds (like pumpkin seeds a lot, sunflower seeds, walnuts) using the calories counts on the container to measure it out. Then I eat a small dinner with family -- and watching people eat a good meal while I have a couple of fish fillets and a cup of brown rice isn't fun, as we all know. :)