PDA

View Full Version : Lost a lot of weight recently

BorinquenSi
02-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Hello, I'm new to body building completely. I just turned 40 (OMG) Monday. On June 25th 2011 I was weighing 298 just overweight!! I've been on a strict diet and exercise routine since then, and I've lost 98 lbs. I mainly do the elliptical machine, rowing machine and crunches, but now I ant to hit the weight. The problem is I don't know where to begin. Can anyone give me any suggestions or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!!

tsoden
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Congrats on the weight loss!!

I would keep it simple, a full body plan three days a week with cardio on the off days. Once you get used to the plan and the exercises, you can change it up. Keep the sets and reps to around 3 set and 8-10 reps per exercise. Focus on compound movements that incorporate multiple muscle groups:

-bench Press
-Squats
-Deadlifts
-Dips
-Pullups

Take a look around the site... there are a lot of beginner plans that are quite easy to follow.

activeseven
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Wow 98lbs, congrats!

SleeperService
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM
First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. 98lbs is impressive indeed!

My story is broadly analogous to yours although not quite as impressive - hit 40ish, didn't like who I'd become and lost about 25 lbs weight over a year. The next logical step for me was to try and improve strength. As mentioned there are a number of excellent programs on this board - I used one which is close to kethnaab's variation of Rippetoe's Starting Strength with good gains so far. You can search for it on the boards.

One thing to be aware of is that you may or may not put weight on doing this programme - the 'newbie' effect is a mystical beast whose properties I don't pretend to understand although I am sure there are many here who can provide an explanation of how it works.

BorinquenSi
02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies and the encouragement. It wasn't easy that's for sure but the results that I've had have been very beneficial. And yes I was thinking the same thing now it's time to work on strengthening. I just don't want to bulk up massively I just wanna tone.

KGiron
02-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't like the "tone" word. build some massive slabs of muscle sounds better lol

great job on the weight loss. If you add some muscle it will help you burn some more fat off. like tosoden says the basics - bench, rows, squats, leg press, military press, any and all will help. follow a plan on bb.com and then modify it for your likes as you get into it more.

I didn't do any cardio the last 2 months and let the free weights do the work for me and I sure like weight lifting more than the elip or treadmill.

tc5998
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't worry about bulking up. If you are eating at maintenance level of calories and doing lifting 3 times a week as suggested above you will gain muscle mass. It will look good on you. to really get "bulky" and big on muscles takes a more concentrated focus on lifting and eating and really being aggressive with weights. It takes a lot of time and effort - once you get past 4 or 5 months of doing the basic lifting program and see how strong you are then - at that point I guess you can start tinkering with how "big" you want to get, but at this point you don't have to worry about that for a long time.

Jtbny
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Grats on the weight lose. Now it's time to pick up heavy things and place them back down over and over :)

pvsampson
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Grats on the weight lose. Now it's time to pick up heavy things and place them back down over and over :)

This x2.

Welcome. Check the stickies! Some good beginner routines there...Allpro and Starting Strength are amongst the most notable.

bigtallox
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
I just don't want to bulk up massively I just wanna tone.

So what's that mean exactly? You don't want to build muscle? IMHO, "tone" sounds like late night infromercial ( all of which just want to sell you a product that you don't need, so they say lots of stuff that isn't true, and thus "tone" has a bad connocation. ) It seems that people who say they don't want to bulk up, only look at the scale and not body composition. IMHO there's nothing wrong with gaining weight if it's muscle, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, IMHO if you want to start trainging with weights, I'd consider a beginner program like starting strength.

Good luck.

BorinquenSi
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
ok maybe i made it sound wrong. I dont want to gain back the 98 lbs i worked so hard to lose. Thats what i meant. Yes I want to build muscle but I dont want to get too big. Thats all.

Jtbny
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
ok maybe i made it sound wrong. I dont want to gain back the 98 lbs i worked so hard to lose. Thats what i meant. Yes I want to build muscle but I dont want to get too big. Thats all.

Well you are in luck. It will take you YEARS to get " too" big. ;) don't be scared of food. There are many former 300lbs here and most of us know that feeling too well. Wish you luck!

latebloomingmom
02-08-2012, 05:59 PM
congrats on the weight loss!:)
now get going on the weights!

DubfromGA
02-09-2012, 08:48 AM

Trust me, brother....if you packed on 98 lbs of muscle....you'd not be complaining. :)

Don't worry, it's not like you'll wake up one day all swole and jacked. It's not that easy. It is a long ride.

BorinquenSi
02-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Ok I've decide to go with the all pro beginners workout. Wish me luck!!

jj341
02-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Goog luck. Keep us posted.

Pridehurtsform
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Ok I've decide to go with the all pro beginners workout. Wish me luck!!

good luck man. great work on the weight loss. if you apply the same mentality towards strength training, as you did with the weight loss, there's no doubt in my mind you'll do great. in my experience training with weight is a blast, the cardio is just a pain the ass.

BorinquenSi
02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
good luck man. great work on the weight loss. if you apply the same mentality towards strength training, as you did with the weight loss, there's no doubt in my mind you'll do great. in my experience training with weight is a blast, the cardio is just a pain the ass.

Thanks. Well believe me the cardio was a pain in the ass for real and not easy!!