PDA

View Full Version : Question to those who are have transformed their bodies or are in the process....

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi - I started my program on Jan 1 of this year to transform my body from an out of shape, overweight 40+ year old and have made some really good progress (down 12 lbs in 5 weeks and my strength increases with each workout) but am starting to wonder what, if any particular changes I should be seeing in my body.

Weight is down and strength is up but I don't notice any real change in appearance. I took measurements last night and hope that will provide me with a way to gauge my progress but wonder if anyone else felt the same.

I was hoping to see my stomach size decrease and to begin to see muscle changes but I don't as of yet... is it just too soon?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your responses.

billb7581
02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm in the same boat as you bud, and lost a similar amount of weight, but in the mirror nothing has happened. My wife says my arms looked more defined, but I think it was good lighting LOL. Tape measure is proably best to keep you from being a slave to the scale. If you're losing inches and maintaining, you are putting on good weight at taking off bad weight.

BloodySalad
02-08-2012, 09:13 AM
If you're judging by looking in the mirror on a daily basis, it's doubtful you'll notice much difference. When you see something every day, small changes don't really get noticed.

Take a couple of photos of yourself now and then compare them with the same poses in a month or two's time. You should notice a difference. Measurements are also a good way of telling. Measure legs, waist, chest, neck and biceps then check them again in a few weeks' time.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm in the same boat as you bud, and lost a similar amount of weight, but in the mirror nothing has happened. My wife says my arms looked more defined, but I think it was good lighting LOL. Tape measure is proably best to keep you from being a slave to the scale. If you're losing inches and maintaining, you are putting on good weight at taking off bad weight.

Thanks Bill! Great to hear from someone else on the same path. Keep up the good work!

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
If you're judging by looking in the mirror on a daily basis, it's doubtful you'll notice much difference. When you see something every day, small changes don't really get noticed.

Take a couple of photos of yourself now and then compare them with the same poses in a month or two's time. You should notice a difference. Measurements are also a good way of telling. Measure legs, waist, chest, neck and biceps then check them again in a few weeks' time.

Thank you for your post. You're right.. I'm going to take pics now.. wish I'd done this when I stated but this is as good a spot as any to start.

billb7581
02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
I know I have a 2010 join date but I started doing a good routine about a month ago, everything I did before that was crap.

TheIronMaster
02-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Start to pictures every month or so.Also when others who don't see you often say wow your looking good will be a nice confidence boost.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:21 AM
I know I have a 2010 join date but I started doing a good routine about a month ago, everything I did before that was crap.

Same here my friend. Lots of 'trying' over the past few years but made the decision that I am doing this.

billb7581
02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
What routine are you doing? Save yourself a lot of aggrivation and do one of the solid beginner routines... SS, All Pro, etc.. there is a lot of knowledge here, and it is easy to get off on the wrong foot, do a ****ty routine and then complain about lack of gains.

gixxer0.6g
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
Transformations aren't sprints. They're marathons. It takes months and sometimes years to get the body you want.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Start to pictures every month or so.Also when others who don't see you often say wow your looking good will be a nice confidence boost.

Funny you just said that Iron, I just bumped into a co-worker I hadn't seen since before New Year's and he immediately made a comment about how different I look. Thanks for the post!

Minotaur
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I was hoping to see my stomach size decrease and to begin to see muscle changes but I don't as of yet... is it just too soon?

Size of the waist is the last to go down. It's like peeling an onion. Fat disappears from all over, but men store the bulk of their fat in the gut. So it's the last to go.

I got back on track on Jan. 2 also. I lost almost 9 lbs, and maybe an inch off my waist at navel level. It can take 6-8 weeks before you see any real changes in your body. It can take at least that long for the body to create fat-burning enzymes and start building muscle tissue, tendons and ligaments, and to improve oxygen and blood glucose use. Then the changes seem to hit overnight.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
What routine are you doing? Save yourself a lot of aggrivation and do one of the solid beginner routines... SS, All Pro, etc.. there is a lot of knowledge here, and it is easy to get off on the wrong foot, do a ****ty routine and then complain about lack of gains.

Not complaining at all. I'm happy with the weight loss and strength gains.. just trying to get a feel from others of their experience

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Size of the waist is the last to go down. It's like peeling an onion. Fat disappears from all over, but men store the bulk of their fat in the gut. So it's the last to go.

I got back on track on Jan. 2 also. I lost almost 9 lbs, and maybe an inch off my waist at navel level. It can take 6-8 weeks before you see any real changes in your body. It can take at least that long for the body to create fat-burning enzymes and start building muscle tissue, tendons and ligaments, and to improve oxygen and blood glucose use. Then the changes seem to hit overnight.

Thanks for your post! Sounds like we're on the right track then. Keep up the hard work!

BillyBatts
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Transformations aren't sprints. They're marathons. It takes months and sometimes years to get the body you want.

Exactly!!!

If you continue on the right track you will notice improvements through weight loss and elimination of fat. However, you may not see significant changes in muscle development until months and / or years from now.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Exactly!!!

If you continue on the right track you will notice improvements through weight loss and elimination of fat. However, you may not see significant changes in muscle development until months and / or years from now.

Thanks guys! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. This is a lifestyle change for me, not just a program I'm hoping to finish.. your comments help me stay focused.

Thanks again!

Minotaur
02-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Funny you just said that Iron, I just bumped into a co-worker I hadn't seen since before New Year's and he immediately made a comment about how different I look. Thanks for the post!

Some programs like Body For Life say to take pictures every week. I disagree. My Dec. 30 pics in my Bodyspace are horrid and could scare small children, kittens and puppies, but I won't take any more for another week or two.

Yet, last week Ms. Busybody I work with (some people here know of her) did comment "wow Frank, you're losing weight so fast!" though I don't consider an average of 1.75 lbs/week "fast". But it was noticed.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Some programs like Body For Life say to take pictures every week. I disagree. My Dec. 30 pics in my Bodyspace are horrid and could scare small children, kittens and puppies, but I won't take any more for another week or two.

Yet, last week Ms. Busybody I work with (some people here know of her) did comment "wow Frank, you're losing weight so fast!" though I don't consider an average of 1.75 lbs/week "fast". But it was noticed.

Great point! I will take pics tonight and take follow ups every two weeks. I'm sure you and I will stop scaring small animals / children very soon!

tsoden
02-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I was taking picts once a month for a while... and not seeing that big of a diff. The thing is... one month won't show too much unfortunately. When it hits you it will hit you hard and be totally unexpected. For instance, a month or so ago I was looking at my arms and though DAMN... they ARE getting bigger (especially my forearms)...and yet I have been lifting for over a year without noticing much change... The other was my triceps. They were totally flat when I started, and now I have a prominent horseshoe. Now in terms of my gut and weight I have not seen much change there. But that is still all diet.

The same can be said when I was on Weight Watchers. I was a 38 waist for so long and my ring finger got much thinner than my gut first.... then next thing I knew all my pants were too big. then a few months later... boney Ass syndrom... every hard surface was HIGHLY noticeable when sitting. Like I said... it will one day just hit you.

retsim19
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I was taking picts once a month for a while... and not seeing that big of a diff. The thing is... one month won't show too much unfortunately. When it hits you it will hit you hard and be totally unexpected. For instance, a month or so ago I was looking at my arms and though DAMN... they ARE getting bigger (especially my forearms)...and yet I have been lifting for over a year without noticing much change... The other was my triceps. They were totally flat when I started, and now I have a prominent horseshoe. Now in terms of my gut and weight I have not seen much change there. But that is still all diet.

The same can be said when I was on Weight Watchers. I was a 38 waist for so long and my ring finger got much thinner than my gut first.... then next thing I knew all my pants were too big. then a few months later... boney Ass syndrom... every hard surface was HIGHLY noticeable when sitting. Like I said... it will one day just hit you.

'BAS - Bony Ass Syndrome' haha! Classic! Thanks so much for posting. I can tell by the way my clothes fit that my body is changing. Shirts are looser in the chest.. tighter in the arm.. the waist of my pants is considerably looser than ever before and I've run out of holes on my belts! I'm placing heavy focus on my eating to make sure I keep it as clean as I can and am training hard. Keep training hard!

KLMARB
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Like everyone else has said, it's a slow process, and it should be. As far as fat loss, if you lose more than a couple of pounds per week, you're probably losing too fast. What you want to avoid is muscle loss, metabolic slowdown (starvation response) and loose skin. Twelve pounds of fat is around two gallons, so it takes a while for real visible changes/

retsim19
02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Like everyone else has said, it's a slow process, and it should be. As far as fat loss, if you lose more than a couple of pounds per week, you're probably losing too fast. What you want to avoid is muscle loss, metabolic slowdown (starvation response) and loose skin. Twelve pounds of fat is around two gallons, so it takes a while for real visible changes/

Thanks KLMARB. I am eating every 3 hours (protein and quality carbs at each meal) and avoiding alcohol and processed foods. I am patient and am happy to have met so many great people on here.

war1575
02-08-2012, 11:33 AM
When I took my first progress pics, I was embarrased to put them up on this site, but I figured I have to have some befores to show just how great my after will be. I only take pics at least every 2 weeks, more like monthly.

OP, keep up the good work. You may not be seeing the changes, but I'm sure you are feeling the changes. Like it's been said before, transformation is a marathon not a sprint.

jor012
02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Stop looking in the mirror every day..to soon to notice any muscle growth...at this point your strength gains are more likely you conditioning your existing muscle. Hang in there and keep chipping away.

Snobum
02-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Hang in there! One of the biggest mistakes my wife and I made was not taking pictures or measurements when we started. Honestly we didn't think it would happen as it didn't many times before. We lost weight FAST in the first 4 months through a calorie restriction diet mostly with shakes (doctor supervised) and a ton of exercise. I switched over to food in month 5 eating every couple hours and kept my fat intake to below 20% and eating clean. No red meat, no alcohol, chicken, fish, oats.....you get the idea. There will be ups and downs, but hang in there! You can go to our website at weightliftingforlife.net to see the progress over the last couple years and don't be afraid to email me or my wife with any specific questions you may have! Any way I can help, just let me know!

latebloomingmom
02-08-2012, 06:05 PM

when I was dieting I was lucky to see a half-pound drop a week..sometimes went two week..nothing and then dropped three or four in one week. The body works strangely sometimes..
Yes, take measurements and keep track of them..these change quite a bit over time. :)

Everyone, I do mean Everyone has a starting point ya know...
there is no shame in putting up an AVI of how you look now and then changing it later on if you want to.
progress pics are important too..if you dont want to post them on here then you should still take them so that you can see the changes.

Jtbny
02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
The only advice I ca give you is to stay consistent. Change will happen if you do. I lost 20 lbs and to be honest I didn't notice a damn thing. Not until I was down about 40 did I finally notice any change at all. Then it was almost weekly. Now 2 years later and a lot of weight lifted I'm seeing good progress in muscle gain.

Good luck to you. Put up some pics, makes it even better when you can look back on the former you.

clevrrr1
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I started in the last week of December. I cut all refined sugars, fried foods, processed food and white breads. No dairy unless it's skim milk w/supplement. I was told if you do alot of lower ab work and have fat it will not tone as fast and make you develop muscle over the fat? I have no idea if this is true or not. I'm up to 12-15 miles a week on my runs with a split 5 day regimen working different muscle groups with weights. I was doing about 350 crunches for the first two weeks and I was told I shouldn't do them until I lose more weight. I'm starting creatine, with liver supplements and aminos. My shakes are 100% whey, and I'm on a 2000 calorie diet now. I take fish oil and a multi vitamin, but that's it. Of course, no alcohol. I started at 241 and now seem parked at 225.The gut burn is bugging me. Any suggestions?? I like to exercise, so whatever I can learn would be a big help. Thanks- Mark

llahhsoj
02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi - I started my program on Jan 1 of this year to transform my body from an out of shape, overweight 40+ year old and have made some really good progress (down 12 lbs in 5 weeks and my strength increases with each workout) but am starting to wonder what, if any particular changes I should be seeing in my body.

Weight is down and strength is up but I don't notice any real change in appearance. I took measurements last night and hope that will provide me with a way to gauge my progress but wonder if anyone else felt the same.

5 weeks isn't a lot of time to notice huge changes. It seems like you are losing weight slowly compared to a lot of people. This is actually a good thing. Most people lose or gain weight in large increments and it either cuts into muscle or gain a lot of fat when bulking. I say you will start to see good changes in 3-4 months with a solid routine and a good diet. Good luck! Fitness isn't easy and it is a process.

latebloomingmom
02-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I started in the last week of December. I cut all refined sugars, fried foods, processed food and white breads. No dairy unless it's skim milk w/supplement. I was told if you do alot of lower ab work and have fat it will not tone as fast and make you develop muscle over the fat? I have no idea if this is true or not. I'm up to 12-15 miles a week on my runs with a split 5 day regimen working different muscle groups with weights. I was doing about 350 crunches for the first two weeks and I was told I shouldn't do them until I lose more weight. I'm starting creatine, with liver supplements and aminos. My shakes are 100% whey, and I'm on a 2000 calorie diet now. I take fish oil and a multi vitamin, but that's it. Of course, no alcohol. I started at 241 and now seem parked at 225.The gut burn is bugging me. Any suggestions?? I like to exercise, so whatever I can learn would be a big help. Thanks- Mark
your body is made up of layers...skin on the outside and then layers of fat that you carry and then muscle underneath..this is how liposuction works...they poke a hole in the skin, go in and suck the fat out that is on top of the muscle layer.
you can, and in my opinion, should build up your core area while you are getting into better shape. The only reason someone may tell you to not do crunches is if you carry a lot of belly fat which may get in the way of you doing them the right way.
sounds to me like you hit a plateau..
I have no idea what you are lifting five days a week
but you could read the stickies on how to figure out your macros..
are you aiming for a gram or so of protein per pound?

zedx
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi - I started my program on Jan 1 of this year

First off congrats on making the desicion.

Now that that's out of the way time to say... You expect changes in less than 2 months???????? That ain't nothing. I mean I'm happy for you you are doing it like i said but in the overall scheme that's hardly a drop in the bucket.

let the months roll on and on. Every 6 months you will probably notice something.

GreenWave1
02-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Congrats on making the change. Now listen. It didn't take you 6 weeks to get into the bad shape you are in. It's going to take longer then 6 weeks to get into the shape you want to be in.

You must be patient. Consistent. Disciplined.

You must gradually make this your lifestyle.

Do these things, and you will get into the shape you desire.

You CAN do this. So go do it.

clevrrr1
02-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Congrats on making the change. Now listen. It didn't take you 6 weeks to get into the bad shape you are in. It's going to take longer then 6 weeks to get into the shape you want to be in.

You must be patient. Consistent. Disciplined.

You must gradually make this your lifestyle.

Do these things, and you will get into the shape you desire.

You CAN do this. So go do it.

Your right on. I think working my abs will be fine. I can do the exercises easily and correctly. I may be over training also. Seems as if since I started exercising and lifting again, I have a need to do something everyday. I have seperated different groups and work those to complete failure. I think I need to allow for more recovery on the major groups and be sensible. It took over 20 years of not exercising seriously to get my body where it is now. It ain't gonna fix itself over night.....I wasn't sure if I was going backwards by doing the ab work until I lost the fat, but it has to start somewhere. There is alot of info out there from conditioned people that can mislead a newb like me. Same thing with the supplements. There is no "exercise in a box", or black magic pill that takes the place of hard work. What's great about this site are the people that give good guidance, based on real experience. I appreciate it.

BloodySalad
02-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Don't get hung up on those abs just yet, man.
Work on the compounds - especially deadlifting and squatting - if you want good abs.
Get that core strong and lose a bit of weight and you should find your abs start appearing on their own, without you having to do any isolation work on them at all.
Ab work at an early stage of training is like bicep training at an early stage - it's not needed.
Sounds weird doesn't it? I mean, you'd expect to have to work those muscles individually to get them to make any gains, wouldn't you? Thing is, your body doesn't work like that though. You have to go against what you see as the norm and do what seems to be illogical - ie: concentrate elsewhere to get them to grow.

billb7581
02-09-2012, 07:13 AM
^Truth. I do curls because they are part of the routine, but I feel what works my arms the most is all the indirect work on the compound exercises that I do prior to the curls. By the time I get to curls, my arms are already smoked, in fact I failed at getting 12 reps on my curls yesterday, but I got all the reps on my compound lifts.

Next week, I get to reset to 8 reps with 10percent more weight on my compounds but reset at the same weight on curls, and I am not sweating it.

I should have gotten my reps, but I started with too high a weight because I read the program wrong but that's just my fault for being a dumb ass... but getting all my compound lifts means I gained a ton of strength in 5 weeks, because I was supposed to start with a 10 rep max and I started with a 8 rep max.

drudixon
02-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Patience padawan....

erodgers75
02-09-2012, 09:46 AM

Good Afternoon...
Try changing your workout routine. If you are doing one/two body part workouts, go to an upper body/lower body curcuit routine. For example... Upper body I do 8 different workouts at 5/6 sets each.Do between 12-15 reps each. (Same thing for lower body) Promise you'll see results. Also with abs, I hit them 3 times a week.
Hope this helps...

Fantasia7381
05-24-2012, 02:36 PM
I use progress pictures (which I very much need to update) and tape measurements. Even when my weight does not change or doesn't change much, most times my measurements in one area or another will have changed. Pictures in the same poses/angles every 3-4 weeks will really show you the difference from where you were to where you are now.

Purple-Haze
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Congrats on making up your mind to do it. I know how difficult it can be because I'm doing it too. I'm down 123 lb. and up a lot of muscle in 16 months. I have a little way to go yet. Depending on how much you're carrying around it may take months for you to see any change at all to your body. I didn't do this but in hindsight, if I were you, I'd take a pic once every week or two and use a tape measure to record your progress. You see yourself everyday in the mirror and the changes happen slowly. I think if you compare a starting pic of yourself with one after you've been training for six months you'll see a big difference. Best of luck to you!