PDA

View Full Version : What happens if net-calories = Zero, but activity level and diet changes.

dd564
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Curious what people think of this scenario:

Person wasn't working out. (Couch potato who didn't overeat). What happens if they improve diet and start working out but net calories are still zero?

Details:
Your fat-skinny. 5'11" 190 lbs. 18% body fat.
You normally were digesting 2,000 calories daily and maybe using 2,000 calories daily. (Crap foods. Coke, chips, candy).

You change your diet to be clean, and now you're working out.
You do rowing for cardio 3 or 4x per week.
Plus weight training 1 or 2 times a week.

So your new calorie intake is 2,500 calories of clean foods with ample protein, but your calorie output is equal to intake at 2,500.

Weight obviously stays the same.

Does Body Fat percentage change?
Does muscle mass increase or decrease?

Thoughts?

ChocoChick
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
I did this when I started working out. My bodyfat dropped and muscle increased. This won't continue forever -- at some point, you'll need to adjust your diet to your primary goal -- but, initially, you can do some recomposition this way.

Dionysus
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
What ChocoChick said. Your body recomps a bit - muscles adapt under the load but your whole system adapts within a month or so and the gains slow/stop. As I understand it, during that adaptation from being sedentary to active you increase your basal metabolic rate so a static diet eventually doesn't meet your caloric needs. The body then starts hanging on to the fat b/c of a calorie deficit, and without the improved diet you aren't feeding yourself enough for muscle gain.

Make sense?

dd564
02-08-2012, 09:16 AM
What ChocoChick said. Your body recomps a bit - muscles adapt under the load but your whole system adapts within a month or so and the gains slow/stop. As I understand it, during that adaptation from being sedentary to active you increase your basal metabolic rate so a static diet eventually doesn't meet your caloric needs. The body then starts hanging on to the fat b/c of a calorie deficit, and without the improved diet you aren't feeding yourself enough for muscle gain.

Make sense?

So bodyfat percentage will drop some.
Muscle gain will occur, but you'll hit a wall where you just start maintaining a better in-shape body.

Correct?

Frnkd
02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Would this explain why I actually lost some muscle size and bf when I increased by workouts and decrease my caloric intact by 500. Where is the balance? Im afraid of eating more at this point but too afraid of loosing muscle mass, until I reach my goal of 12% BF. Or should I take in more calories and maintain my workout intensity and hope that any weight gain is muscle...I try to monitor my bf at least 1x per month or did to be more frequent as I adjust my diet?

wedjim
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
If you work out and are in a caloric deficit your body will look for calories in bf and muscle tissue. This is why long cardio sessions is a no-no unless you are in a bf reduction phase and willing to give up some lean mass. Unless you are in a surplus your body will go after what it needs from within itself, not only bf.

The point of cardio is to increase your daily caloric use to get your day right. If your at your calorie needs (zero deficit/surplus) cardio is detrimental for lean mass.

Bottom line is, after an initial gain, your body will not add mass if you aren't feeding it right.