PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 Year Progress at 44

rjbullock
02-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Well, I started working out about a year and a half ago. When I started, I could barely bench 60 pounds for 10 reps, I kid you not! Tricep strength was worse, could only curl maybe 15 pounds. Could leg press about 125 pounds. A year later, I haven't lost weight but I'm much leaner, can bench about 130 (not great, but good progress), can curl 30 lbs (per arm, ha ha!) and can leg press 350! So, overall I'm about twice as strong as I was when I began...

I don't really measure my arms or whatever... I just go by what I see and I like what I see so far. The wife does as well. Noticed I get a lot more attention from the ladies in general now, which is great for the old male ego...

So is this good progress? I don't know. If I doubled my strength every 18 months, I think I'd be pretty happy with that! But I certainly don't think that's realistic.

I have had more energy but like all middle-aged guys, not quite what I was in my 20's or 30's... Ah well.

But I am damn glad I got started exercising and lifting and didn't allow myself to continue on the path I was on, turning into a lifeless dough boy like most of my buddies...

rjbullock
02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention... I couldn't do a SINGLE chin up when I started... Now I can do 4-5 clean chin ups. Hoping to get that to 10 soon. Discovered some great routines that are really increasing my biceps and delts... Still can't do much in the dip arena, need to use the assisted dip thing... I mean, I could do a few unassisted, but it wouldn't feel good!

Is this all "normal" for about 18 months of working out after NEVER working out for 44 years?

2BLAZERS
02-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Congrats on your progress...one day at a time

tsoden
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Very nice progress. I hear you with the lifts... For me in one year alll my lifts went up...I am actually most proud of my triceps though... they really came up last year... going from struggling with 25 lbs on the cable machine for pushdowns to 80 lbs now.

Sounds like you are making excellent progress. You will be gaining much more confidence as your strength increases and you know women really are attracted to confident men.

thjfan43
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Looks like you are on the right track. Keep it up and make sure your diet is where it needs to be. There are some good nutrition stickies here.

BTW, I'm 43 and I object to you, at 44, referencing your "old male ego." 44 is not old. lol

billb7581
02-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I didnt lift for years because I didn't want to be the big guy with puny lifts... now I dont give a **** what others think LOL.

KGiron
02-08-2012, 10:02 AM
keep after it. Nice gains, anybody would love to double their lifts by 100% plus in 18 months. no where to go but up.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM
So is this good progress? I don't know...

I don't know either. What are your goals?

You seem to be focused on strength in your post. If that's your goal you're probably not tryign hard enough. But you haven't given much to go on. Height weight, etc.

If bodybuilding is your goal, then pics will tell a better story than your lifts. Go ahead and post up.

discdoggie
02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Pics please.

And considering most people---even after 14 months of training---still struggle with ONE chinup or pull up, I'd say you're doing pretty well there

rjbullock
02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Pics please.

And considering most people---even after 14 months of training---still struggle with ONE chinup or pull up, I'd say you're doing pretty well there

Well, that's encouraging to hear! It was kind of funny because I hadn't tried a chin up in awhile, but then I was standing under the chin up bar (which is on the crossbar for my gym's cable machine) and thought, "Hmmmm???" I actually have to hop a bit to reach the bars, which are actually more like two little handles. The first one was a little rough, but 2-4 were easier... just didn't have the juice for anymore than that. But it felt really good! It occurred to me, "Hey, I'm lifting 190 pounds here!" (that's my current weight).

I'll try to get some photos up but unfortunately don't have any "before" shots...

The other exercise I really kept with was the Captain's Chair. That is friggin hard! When I started, I could do maybe 6-7 in perfect form, now I do 20-15-12, sometimes more if I'm feeling good. I also really fell in love with that one where you use the cables with rope attachment and you curl over... I have to use like 80lbs right now for that to feel it all in my abs.

Triceps-wise, I can do 10-12 reps with 120lbs if I push it. I really focused hard on my triceps right from the get-go as many people said that without strong triceps, many other exercises would suffer.

Not sure what to do in terms of my shoulders, but I always had fairly nice shoulders for some reason so I don't worry about it too much, just do some overhead lifts with kettlebells and stuff.

DubfromGA
02-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Looks like you are on the right track. Keep it up and make sure your diet is where it needs to be. There are some good nutrition stickies here.

BTW, I'm 43 and I object to you, at 44, referencing your "old male ego." 44 is not old. lol

Agreed !

motorcyclegiant
02-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Congrats brother!
very inspirational!
(please dont call 40's old! I dont wanna be!)

IronCharles
02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Came in looking for pics of progress, was disappointed.

But, as long as you're happy with whatever progress you've achieved, then more power to you.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Came in looking for pics of progress, was disappointed.

No pics, no stats, no goals, no details, and only replies to the one and only female that posted in his thread.

Lots of kudos in here for a 130lb bench press, though. :rolleyes:

hammerfelt
02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
You would do much better to get on a program like StrongLifts or Starting Strength. Either of these would have you benching a lot more than 130lbs after 18 months, unless you have some sort of limitation you are not mentioning.

discdoggie
02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
No pics, no stats, no goals, no details, and only replies to the one and only female that posted in his thread.

Lulz. That cancels out the post yesterday where the other new dude called me "man." :D

billb7581
02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Even the All Pro routine would have you doubling your bench on the 8th cycle (40 weeks)