PDA

View Full Version : Noob gains and beginner routines

billb7581
02-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Some people have mentioned that the All Pro Simple beginner routine is a bit slow from a progress standpoint, only increasing the weights 10 percent every 5 weeks, but isn't there an advantage to wringing every bit of progress you can at a given weight because there is going to be a time where you reach the upper limit of what your joints can handle weightwise? I understand the appeal of chucking a bunch of weight on the bar, but the gains are going to be harder to come by the higher you get up in your lifts, no?

I plan on running the routine, as written until it totally stalls out. I like it.

foresail
02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Seems like many beginners become bored quickly. Increasing weights at a faster pace gives a constant sense of accomplishment to keep up interest. A younger newbie’s body can take that type of pounding easier than an older newbie’s body especially if the latter is dealing with physical limitations.

Needing to regrow atrophied muscles caused by over a year of inactivity after an accident, I chose allpro’s routine because the weight progression was slower. Initially, I didn’t expect to see any results for several months. Increased strength outside the gym was apparent starting in the third week (when I almost tore a window out of its frame with one hand) and nice hypertrophy by the fourth week. After adding farmer’s walks to strengthen grip, I noticed my strength for squats and SLDL’s was rising faster than the programmed increases. Decided to stick with the routine as written.

I don't know if there's an advantage to allpro's routine. It has helped me greatly to regain lost muscle/strength plus more. Like you, I plan to continue until everything stalls.

billb7581
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Seems like many beginners become bored quickly. .+

And this seems to be the downfall of most beginners LOL.

I get to move the weights up next week on everything but curls. I thought I was going to leave my pre workout shake on the floor but I did it. Not really that concerned with failing on curls, since I read the program wrong and started with a 8 rep max instead of a 10 rep max, so getting 12 reps of all my compound movements, was huge.

foresail
02-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Congrats!

billb7581
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks man... I love this program.. there's always something pushing you forward, either weight or reps.

I am rethinking that pre workout shake though..... I almost left it on the gym floor LOL.