PDA

View Full Version : Close Grip Bech Press Question

jor012
02-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Close grip bench has always been my fav tri exercise. My understanding is that close grip is "less than shoulder width". I've always used about a 6 inch hand spacing but lately it seems to aggrevate my shoulder so I stopped doing it.

I want to start again and try a wider grip (shoulder width or slightly less)

Does any one do these at shoulder width or slightly less and does it still effectivly target the tricep?

I'm guessing it does but uses more pecs..but not sure..need input..Thanks!

zedx
02-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Close grip bench has always been my fav tri exercise. My understanding is that close grip is "less than shoulder width". I've always used about a 6 inch hand spacing but lately it seems to aggrevate my shoulder so I stopped doing it.

Does any one do these at shoulder width or slightly less and does it still effectivly target the tricep?

I do shoulder width bench. At the very tips of my thumbs as I extend them I position right where the bar goes from completely smooth like in the middle right to where the grips starts. Then I retract my thumbs and that is my grip. It is about shoulder width apart. I cannot go any wider because it hurts my shoulder.

It's still definitely more a chest exercise. I do feel it of course in my triceps but there is no way my triceps are pushing 250lbs up. My chest always gets good and sore.

My opinion is if something is hurting your should do not do it. The shoulder is not something to mess around with. When you do very close gripped benches you are putting your joints an an angle obviously stressing something on you.

There are so many other ways to work the triceps. Why don't you try some close grip pushups? See if that still hurts them. You can always add weights to other triceps workouts like skullcrushers or even dips. I love taking a curl bar and standing up and putting it above my head then letting my arms band behind my head to work them.

No use risking your shoulder health for an arm muscle.

CardinalRB34
02-08-2012, 06:47 AM
is your shoulder hurting from the narrow grip or from the depth of the exercise? With close grips - I usually stop 4-6 inches from the bar hitting my chest.

ironwill2008
02-08-2012, 07:05 AM

The factor that moves the work from the pecs more to the triceps is where your elbows are positioned, not necessarily your hands. As long as your elbows are tucked into your sides, your pecs will be relatively uninvolved.

To really target your tris with CGBP, try doing them on a Smith. There will then be no bar balance issues, and thus more of the work will go directly to the target muscle.

jor012
02-08-2012, 07:15 AM
is your shoulder hurting from the narrow grip or from the depth of the exercise? With close grips - I usually stop 4-6 inches from the bar hitting my chest.I think it's the close grip..no issues with bench press.

jor012
02-08-2012, 07:18 AM
The factor that moves the work from the pecs more to the triceps is where your elbows are positioned, not necessarily your hands. As long as your elbows are tucked into your sides, your pecs will be relatively uninvolved.

That's a very good point.

CardinalRB34
02-08-2012, 07:19 AM
I think it's the close grip..no issues with bench press.

are you dropping the bar all the way down?

Corbi
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I keep my hands pretty damn close for these, in fact I could probably touch my thumbs together and I bring the bar down as far as I can which is basically my wrists hitting my chest.

HoustonTXMuscle
02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I keep my hands pretty damn close for these, in fact I could probably touch my thumbs together and I bring the bar down as far as I can which is basically my wrists hitting my chest.

This pretty much describes what I do as well. Hands spaced about 4 to 5 inches apart (haven't tried to see if my thumbs can touch together tho). Elbows tucked into my sides and the bar probably comes to within an inch of my chest. Corbi, am still on spread, otherwise I'd rep you.

bbsitum
02-08-2012, 05:20 PM
For me close grip is necessary if you have pain in shoulders with regular (wider grip). Since I put emphasis at back development since I start work out ( 1 and half year) probably my shoulders move beck (at microscopic or 1/16 level). I can now bench with wide grip.

gbk56
02-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Keeping your elbows in and hands around shoulder width would still target your triceps well. You could also try using an easy curl bar instead.

bigtallox
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM

Tricep involvement ( and pec uninvolvement ) also depends on where you bring the bar down on your chest. Tucking the elbows isn't solely enough to say you'll minimize pecs and maximize triceps.

yakabebe
02-08-2012, 11:01 PM

To really target your tris with CGBP, try doing them on a Smith. There will then be no bar balance issues, and thus more of the work will go directly to the target muscle.

I do em in the Smith

The other thing I'd add is the elbows are right in as you say but the body position and where the bar comes down can make a huge difference on the stresses you put your poor little shoulders thru!

I, for one, aim to get it all lined up so that the bar comes pretty damn close to my solar plexus and the "feeling" is you are then driving the bar up but "towards" your head.

I have experimented big time having had two shoulder reconstructs and this way absolutely hits the tris with some but not alot of chest involvement but with no discernible shoulder problems.

pastorgbc
02-09-2012, 02:29 AM
I hold my hands about 9-10 inches apart, make sure my forearms run alongside my sides, and bring the bar down to touch my solar plexus. I find this really hits my tris the fullest. I find that if I hold my hands any closer there is too much forearm involvement and my elbows flare out at heavier weights.

Ray

jor012
02-09-2012, 05:22 AM
shoulder width...elbows tucked. still hit tris

placement on chest? midway. correct?

O.K. got it

Tried some out like this it felt fine..Now I'm going to try working this back into my routine..Thanks!

Medtreker
02-09-2012, 08:40 AM

I've always thought of anything grater than a grip a few inches apart in just a bench press. Narow, medium, wide grip bench is all bench and targets chest to greatest degree.

A close grip, for me, is practically hands touching, 3" apart. I need to use a slip on spacer to keep my hands from sliding togther completely (very difficult to balance when hands are pushed together in center). But at 3" it's a true tricep workout regardless of slight differences of elbows or where bar lands.

However, you may have a big issue with sholder at this grip width, if so, abandon and go with other moves.