PDA

View Full Version : Just starting a bodybuiling type plan and wanted some advice pleae if possible

fraherg
02-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Hi guys,
I have a couple of questions regarding starting bodybuilding and wondered if i could get some advice.
Bit of background:
i have been training for a few years, mainly weights and cardio to keep in shape for my sport which was football (soccer), however now that I am 40 (eek) the time has come to stop playing as much football as I used to, but I really enjoy my gym work and have always had an interest in Bodybuilding so I thought why not have a go and see if I can put on some decent size etc. I am currently 5ft 5inches and weigh 141lbs, with a bodyfat % of approx 13%, my squats were good at 250lbs, my deads were 280lbs and my bench is just at my bodyweight. (i had an injury to my priformis which stopped me doing deads and squats for a few months, which has just healed its self).

What I wanted to ask was if my plan to put on size was correct, I have just started this week, and what I am doing is working the muscles to failure using closers at the end of the sessions as well, I figured that this combined with a decent diet should get me on the right road, Currently my diet works out 3,000kcals a day which i plan to increase as things progress. my diet is spread over 8 meals eating every 2-3 hours. however I just read an article that was talking about bulking up and said unless your lifting lifting 300-400lbs in deads/squats and 300lb benchs then you wont force your body to put on muscle, but is this correct? surely if I am lifting the heaviest i can lift and lifting to failure whilst i may not be setting the world on fire with my lifting stats, I would still build muscle and bulk up? also my weights would increase per gym session as well. My gym in the UK does have Bodybuilders in it but I have only joined this gym a week ago ( I joined this gym in order to give me motivation to bulk up lol) so do not know anyone in there yet to get any advice from.

Cheers for any help

tsoden
02-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Heavy weight will build muscle, but I think in general its all about concentrating on mind muscle connection with your lifts. Choose weights that are challenging for you but still allow for a decent set of reps (8 to 12). Take the reps slow, and try to pause between them.... as in don't machine gun your way through the set. Quite often I will count to three on my negatives for each rep which causes a lot of strain on the muscle.

There are a lot of helpful people around here, plus some great helpful Youtube videos. I am fond of the "fatlosslifestyle" channel which is hosted by Darin Stein a natural bodybuilder who really demonstrates and explains the movements

http://www.youtube.com/user/fatlosslifestyle?blend=1&ob=0

Just my $0.02

fraherg
02-08-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi Mate
cheers for the reply, i always make sure my form is good and I have been imagining the muscle working as I lift, but I like the counting to three that's a great idea, cheers mate , but i am going to use this site more and get my bodyspace sorted as well
i will check out youtube now

cherrs mate

jor012
02-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Please don't refer to soccer as football. I find it very offensive..LOL

JOHN GARGANI
02-08-2012, 06:05 AM
FRAHERG: a very nice opening post...now, as to this:

my diet is spread over 8 meals eating every 2-3 hours.

not entirely necessary! it is a royal pain in the arse trying to eat that many times a day...it is all about keeping track of your macros and spreading them out A BIT...4, 5 or even 6 meals, are fine....but 8 is going to wear you down.....

your body WILL adapt to less than that and absorb more nutrients at each sitting.....

and this:

however I just read an article that was talking about bulking up and said unless your lifting lifting 300-400lbs in deads/squats and 300lb benchs then you wont force your body to put on muscle, but is this correct?

UTTER NONSENSE! "heavy", as you might have already deduced, is RELATIVE to what you can lift at the time.....

if you are benching your bodyweight for reps ( 140 pounds, I believe?), then anything over that is "heavy"

you say you want to pursue bodybuilding now: bodybuilding is very related to form, and intensity, and methodology, than as to actual amounts of weight used.

Rocky3540
02-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Go heavy or go home. It has worked for me and still is.

dazlittle
02-08-2012, 06:13 AM

Of the 45 member Countries of FIFA, 43 refer to the sport as football and only 2 refer to it as soccer (Guest which two?) :-)

fraherg
02-08-2012, 06:18 AM
FRAHERG: a very nice opening post...now, as to this:

not entirely necessary! it is a royal pain in the arse trying to eat that many times a day...it is all about keeping track of your macros and spreading them out A BIT...4, 5 or even 6 meals, are fine....but 8 is going to wear you down.....

your body WILL adapt to less than that and absorb more nutrients at each sitting.....

and this:

UTTER NONSENSE! "heavy", as you might have already deduced, is RELATIVE to what you can lift at the time.....

if you are benching your bodyweight for reps ( 140 pounds, I believe?), then anything over that is "heavy"

you say you want to pursue bodybuilding now: bodybuilding is very related to form, and intensity, and methodology, than as to actual amounts of weight used.
Hi Mate, cheers for that, yeah thats what i was thinking, I was confused because it was such a sweeping statement that I read, but thought i may be wrong, your description bodybuilding is exactly what I am thinking but described better lol, I am dedicated to what I am doing at the moment and appreciate its a lifestyle choice,
thanks for the great advice mate, cheers for that, much appreciated :)

fraherg
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM

lol