PDA

View Full Version : Just turned 38

natedemontigny
02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Today, I just turned 38 as a matter of fact. Here's the run down on where I'm at then I will ask my question(s).

Months ago I found out I was in bad shape, high cholesterol, etc. So I decided to start running. Got into that, love to do it. I heard about P90X, bought it and ran through the 90 day classic format. Saw some great results, lost a bit of yuck fat I had. For the past few months, I have been going to the gym, lifting heavier weights, hoping to bulk up. I am starting to see weight being added, and am pleased so far.

The issue I am having is I cannot for the life of me get rid of the belly fat. It's not much, but enough that the abs I can feel are not showing. What can I do to help them show, and get rid of the little bit of fat that is stored on top of them? I do plenty of cardio, eat healthy, etc, etc. Should I take some sort of fat burner or something? What do you guys think?

geer_matt
02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
I think your lying to yourself. If you eat healthy and do lots of cardio the fat will go away. It's that or your perception of eating healthy or what lots of cardio consist of is way off mark. Good luck. If its not melting, you need to try harder.

cowboybiker
02-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Try lowering your calorie intake count a bit.
Start with 400 and adjust as needed.

natedemontigny
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
I appreciate the comments, I am pretty darned sure I am eating good. I look at the labels on everything I eat because I was told to watch the saturated fats, etc. I run frequently, hit the bike at the gym, elliptical, etc... Maybe I am eating too many carbs and not burning enough of them?

I think your lying to yourself. If you eat healthy and do lots of cardio the fat will go away. It's that or your perception of eating healthy or what lots of cardio consist of is way off mark. Good luck. If its not melting, you need to try harder.

geer_matt
02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
I appreciate the comments, I am pretty darned sure I am eating good. I look at the labels on everything I eat because I was told to watch the saturated fats, etc. I run frequently, hit the bike at the gym, elliptical, etc... Maybe I am eating too many carbs and not burning enough of them?
How many calories are in a gram of saturated fat?

natedemontigny
02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Not sure if it is right, I am no pro, never said I was, but I did some quick checking and there is about 9 calories is a gram of fat

How many calories are in a gram of saturated fat?

geer_matt
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
There are 9 calories in every gram of fat, if you want to lose the last stubborn bit of belly fat you need to create a calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about saturated fats, burn more calories than you take in.

natedemontigny
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
thank you

There are 9 calories in every gram of fat, if you want to lose the last stubborn bit of belly fat you need to create a calorie deficit, I wouldn't worry about saturated fats, burn more calories than you take in.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Try lowering your calorie intake count a bit.
Start with 400 and adjust as needed.

^^^ This. You need to log EVERYTHING you eat EVERY DAY.

There are many good online resources for assisting you in this. Take advantage of them.

tsoden
02-08-2012, 04:49 AM
As what Flex said, you may be eating "healthy", but to really get rid of fat, you need a caloric deficit. Figure out what your maintenance calories should be and drop it by 500 per day. You should see a 1 lb loss per week. Keep in mind that in order to be successful at this you MUST TRACK EVERYTHING - log it in a book. Make sure you understand what a REAL SERVING is.

This site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/10-ways-to-measure-perfect-portion-sizes/pictures/index.html

...shows what a portion size is compared to common objects. Packaging on most products are misleading and usually contains more than a single serving so keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind... when adding any cardio into your routine while in a caloric deficit, you still need to feed to body. If you spend too many calories with exercise your body can go into starvation mode which pumps up fat storage.

El4Ray
02-08-2012, 05:23 AM
My 2 cents - listen,learn follow and maintain accountability. If you do not log your daily routine (workout,diet) then there is no accountability to measure. When you can not measure then you can not improve.

I was asking the same questions until I followed my above statement

Good luck

ironwill2008
02-08-2012, 08:19 AM
..... hoping to bulk up.....

.......abs I can feel are not showing. What can I do to help them show, and get rid of the little bit of fat that is stored on top of them?

You're working at cross purposes here. As the saying goes, if you try to catch two rabbits, you'll wind up with neither. You need to pick one goal or the other, and then adjust your macro amounts to fit that goal.

Your goals are your own, for sure, but at 146, I'd suggest you work to add a good bit of muscle mass to your frame before considering a cut.

2BLAZERS
02-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I'd agree with the others, you've got to track EVERYTHING. It takes a lot of work, sweat and careful eating to loose just a couple of pounds.

I feel like I'm hungry and starving for two weeks to loose a couple of pounds. But amazingly I can gain five pounds in a weekend:(