PDA

View Full Version : Generally..what holds them back the most?

geer_matt
02-07-2012, 08:24 PM
After reading many threads on here over the last couple of years, I started asking myself "what is the biggest thing that holds people back from the gains they are chasing?" My "best" input to this question would be diet and consistency. Diet probably being the biggest one. I know my biggest problem has been consistency, and diet coming in second. Every one that lifts on a regular basis has to deal with injuries and finding ways to lift around them. If they really want it, they find ways to lift around an injury or deal with it the best they can. Like Flex, (don't mean to call you out, but read a lot of your post and you make a great example) he admits that benching isn't a strong point due to shoulder problems, but the man is still a Squat Monster. He deals with it, and works with what he has, no excuses. So barring injury, what holds most people back from the gains they chase the most? Lack of effort, diet, consistency, sleep? I am really curious as to what the more experienced lifters would say is the biggest casuse of failure in the gym.

llahhsoj
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
With me, consistency is totally there. I don't regulary eat enough to sustain my level of activity.

David Wiggins
02-07-2012, 09:01 PM
So barring injury, what holds most people back from the gains they chase the most? Lack of effort, diet, consistency, sleep? I am really curious as to what the more experienced lifters would say is the biggest casuse of failure in the gym.

Diet, effort, and recovery are all consistently reasons people don't achieve their goals.

BUT, in my opinion sincere DESIRE limits most. I see competing BBs not staying to their diet. I see PLs making excuses not to train hard other than the three big moves, and not working accessories or core body parts. I see regular gym members claiming a goal, but doing nothing abnormal to achieve it, etc, etc.

Desire will also help you to FIND the knowledge to be as successfull as possible. Now that reminds me, I gotta bone up on a few things.....

CardinalRB34
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
injuries are the only thing that have set me back. I'm injury prone apparently.

but for what hold other back... it's either GENETICS or LACK of wisdom when it comes to training or eating. Most people in this game do not eat NEARLY enough for what their goals are...

Chris_T
02-07-2012, 09:12 PM
For the longest time I would have said "diet," but now I think its a lack of sleep and work-related stress.

I'm working on it.

hochspeyer
02-07-2012, 09:38 PM
After reading the responses to date, I'm going to agree with probably all of them and maybe condense them into: priorities. If you make bodybuilding a priority in your life, then the other things will (sooner or later) fall into place... not by themselves, but because they are parts of this priority, you'll start to get focused.

Pretty obtuse post, but it makes sense to me, because that's how it has been happening in my life.

IronCharles
02-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Most people just don't want it bad enough to do what it takes to be a successful bodybuilder. It's not just one thing, it's a number of things. Lack of intensity, unwillingness to eat properly, ignorance about the correct way to lift, no goals; you name it. Many things done half-assed = failure as a whole.

cowboybiker
02-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm gonna throw in unrealistic expectations.
I blame advertising.
Take this pill, do this program and you'll go from couch potato to a competetive bodybuilder in 12 weeks.
Patience endurance is needed.

geer_matt
02-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm gonna throw in unrealistic expectations.
I blame advertising.
Take this pill, do this program and you'll go from couch potato to a competetive bodybuilder in 12 weeks.
Patience endurance is needed.
Lmao, Capitalism at it's finest.
Great point though.
http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz354/ambush2244/fat.jpg

paolo59
02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Life and its' daily pressures seem to get in the way for most of us. If you're an 'Over-35' forum member, you've more than likely got a family, a job that takes up a minimum of 40 hours a week, plus all the pressure and pleasure of being a parent and all that that entails. What makes the difference? Sticking with it long enough to realize that it makes one hell of a difference with regards to your sanity! Juggling a wife and kids, while she and they 'juggle' you is no easy task! Ha ha Kudos to the forum members here who have found that balance.

bigtallox
02-07-2012, 11:33 PM
So barring injury, what holds most people back from the gains they chase the most?

I don't know if it's the most, but a lot of people are afraid to eat enough. I also think some people are afraid to train hard enough.

Tyrbolift
02-08-2012, 02:18 AM
For me---consistency easily. Everything else I got down. When I'm firing all cylinders, the gains come.

Lately, it's been a 3 way tug of war between mom time, lethargy from work, and me time(lifting). Still sorting it out.

yakabebe
02-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Not sure what you'd call it but for me...failure to achieve...be it in BB or anywhere else really...is very very often down to the seeming endless ability we have to come up with an excuse that stops us in our tracks.

For mine...when you adopt the notion that NO EXCUSE is gonna work...then you're half way there.

Once you succeed in making your success the mission that has to succeed then you're there...

Sounds psychobabbly I know and it probably encapsulates many other things such as will power, strength of character, single mindedness, discipline...call it what ever you want...but accept no excuses.

None.

And I know (cause I do this for a living and spend all my days with people seeking answers) many here will reject this and say its other things...

Fact is those that achieve their goals are few and far between. The rest....keep bitchin' and moanin' about this, that or the other.

Once you stop doing that and take full ownership of the outcome...no matter what...then youre there.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Like Flex, (don't mean to call you out, but read a lot of your post and you make a great example) he admits that benching isn't a strong point due to shoulder problems, but the man is still a Squat Monster.

Thought for sure as I was reading you were gonna call me out on my beer consumption.

everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

dpe94
02-08-2012, 06:28 AM
I don't know if it's the most, but a lot of people are afraid to eat enough. I also think some people are afraid to train hard enough.

This^^^^^^ I need to learn to eat.

Marius_Ursus
02-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Attitude.

ljimd
02-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Not sure what you'd call it but for me...failure to achieve...be it in BB or anywhere else really...is very very often down to the seeming endless ability we have to come up with an excuse that stops us in our tracks.

For mine...when you adopt the notion that NO EXCUSE is gonna work...then you're half way there.

Once you succeed in making your success the mission that has to succeed then you're there...

Sounds psychobabbly I know and it probably encapsulates many other things such as will power, strength of character, single mindedness, discipline...call it what ever you want...but accept no excuses.

None.

And I know (cause I do this for a living and spend all my days with people seeking answers) many here will reject this and say its other things...

Fact is those that achieve their goals are few and far between. The rest....keep bitchin' and moanin' about this, that or the other.

Once you stop doing that and take full ownership of the outcome...no matter what...then youre there.

^^^^^^^^^^^ I couldn't add to that.

ironwill2008
02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I am really curious as to what the more experienced lifters would say is the biggest casuse of failure in the gym.

From what I've seen IRL, and posted on this site, there are a million reasons why many people make little/no progress. It's not possible to cite just one cause; here's the least number I'm able to condense the list down to:

*Lack of consistency in both training and nutrition

*Lack of knowledge/bad advice

*Lack of effort in the gym

I'll stop here, but I could write a book.

x-trainer ben
02-08-2012, 08:49 AM
After reading many threads on here over the last couple of years, I started asking myself "what is the biggest thing that holds people back from the gains they are chasing?" My "best" input to this question would be diet and consistency. Diet probably being the biggest one. I know my biggest problem has been consistency, and diet coming in second. Every one that lifts on a regular basis has to deal with injuries and finding ways to lift around them. If they really want it, they find ways to lift around an injury or deal with it the best they can. Like Flex, (don't mean to call you out, but read a lot of your post and you make a great example) he admits that benching isn't a strong point due to shoulder problems, but the man is still a Squat Monster. He deals with it, and works with what he has, no excuses. So barring injury, what holds most people back from the gains they chase the most? Lack of effort, diet, consistency, sleep? I am really curious as to what the more experienced lifters would say is the biggest casuse of failure in the gym.

So since you listed
1. diet
2. consistency
3. injury
i will list others in order
1. knowledge( not what works for them but what works for you!)
2. wife/real life (family obligations)
3. inability to change "old" thinking( new methods)
4. supplement bias ( some of the new sht works very, very, well!!)

latebloomingmom
02-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Great stuff...keep on going cause I am reading it...
attitude? I agree we can be our own worst enemy..built ourselves up or rip ourselves down?
quick fix? oh ya wouldnt we all love that one..hard work is hard
old age? so the h*ll what..
ignorance? is this an excuse? old dogs can and do learn new tricks:)

Minotaur
02-08-2012, 09:15 AM

^ This. Fear in general, and fear of success. A lot of people like the status quo.

billb7581
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I know the main thing seperating me from becoming completely jacked will be diet, and genetics, to a lesser extent.

Pounding weights in my 20s playing college football and eating everything in sight, I only had 16 inch arms.. bicep peak? what the hell is that? Fuuuuuuuuu long arms.

hammerfelt
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Injury is the old thing that has held me back so far. Been training for less than 3 years though. I imagine over the course of time other stumbling blocks can appear.

OutOfStep
02-08-2012, 10:09 AM

This. People, especially on this site, are too afraid of food and overtraining.

Kraken
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Injuries and medical issues. I am very limited in what I can do at the gym because of my long history of injuries. Had back surgery at the age of 19, suffered disc herniations since then, tore both RCs multiple times, suffer from bursitis in my shoulders from time to time, constant muscle strains in my neck and back, haven't been able to press with my legs for over a year due to pain from injuring them both at the same time, most likely a result of severe misalignment of knees from birth, (bad knock knees)...I am not sure I have gone more than 6 months since I started lifting without injuring myself. I have never been able to lift heavier than 10 reps either.

That said, I just keep chugging along and do my best to take things in stride. If I ever lose focus on the long term progress and road ahead, I will easily falter and quit lifting for a second time and I don't want that to happen. My diet is nothing short of amazing for a person who has a family and children, my training is as intense as it can be. Only things holding me back are genetics.

trev71
02-08-2012, 10:32 AM

I'd agree... I know I was a bit taken back on eating as much as I do now.. especially after starting with a fairly successful cut.

I can say, once I started eating more, I was seeing regular gains.. almost a bit too much.. was wild.. remains wild actually.

That said, the part that is holding me back today, energy. I am having trouble getting that 'dig down deep, angry, attack the weight' energy. Something has changed over the last few weeks, need to figure it out.

chodan9
02-08-2012, 11:33 AM
good stuff on this here thread

for the people I interact with on a day to day basis, lack of consistency is the biggest offender.
I am not talking about those who float around from fad diet to fad diet, and glom onto the latest workout craze or pill. Those guys are just lazy and want a quick fix and will never succeed until they change their fundamental approach to fitness.
I am talking about the guys who want to succeed and are trying to learn how to train and eat right, but for the most part I see they have a hard time staying consistent for whatever reason.
by consistent I mean
training with consistent regularity consistently high intensity.
consistently managing their nutrition plans.
consistently resting sufficiently

I agree with what has been said about managing expectations also

MoldyGopher
02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Education and/or Badvertising, as others have said.

People are so drowned in fad diets and bogus treatments that they tend to ignore simple calories/carb advice. Same goes for exercise. Hours of ****ty cardio + tiny weights for toning and you've got generations who think that getting fit is simply impossible for one reason or another.

That was me, btw.

TenThreeFive
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
The only time I have gotten results and I mean real results was when my diet was dialed in. Dialed in training + half assed diet = half assed results. Half assed training + dialed in diet = awesome results. For me anyway, getting to the 'dialed in' is usually my downfall. I always lose when I start negotiating with food, he's a pro.

SleeperService
02-08-2012, 12:01 PM
For me it was always a lack of clear goals. That's changed now.

induced_drag
02-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm going with diet/ nutrition over all others.

Lots of people train well....or at least well enough.

I say....one can NOT be underestimated the effect of proper nutrition...period. It is why a bunch of people on here who train regularly......but look at best average.

Instead...they come on and ask what supplement will help them????....go figure.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Lots of people train well....or at least well enough

Not from what I've seen in my last 2 years at 2 different gyms.

I see a lot of wankers showboating and talking.

Very few doing serious lifting.

induced_drag
02-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Not from what I've seen in my last 2 years at 2 different gyms.

I see a lot of wankers showboating and talking.

Very few doing serious lifting.

True....but I am referring to the many that I see on here that train well...(or at least they say they do :) ) ....yet never really progress.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 12:30 PM
(or at least they say they do :) )

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ BINGO!

I bet all the slackers I see every day don't think they're slackers, either.

If they're not showing results, chances are they're working as hard as they think they are. I think the human body can adapt, and even if the nutrition isn't perfect, it will build muscle if it is worked hard.

broscience/10

ArchAngel'73
02-08-2012, 12:34 PM
True....but I am referring to the many that I see on here that train well...(or at least they say they do :) ) ....yet never really progress.

That's what happens when you're too busy playing with lego and doing "yardio". ;)

What holds them back?
Them.
There is no excuse in the information age for ignorance.

People are used to team sports where your weakness is covered up by a team mates strength.
You're all on your own with this, no one to hide behind and it if you don't get progress the owness lies upon you.
People aren't used to this anymore, they need a safety net, they like to be coddled into thinking that mediocrity is ok.
Please don't be good, you're going to put the rest of us to shame.

HoustonTXMuscle
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Most people just don't want it bad enough to do what it takes to be a successful bodybuilder. It's not just one thing, it's a number of things. Lack of intensity, unwillingness to eat properly, ignorance about the correct way to lift, no goals; you name it. Many things done half-assed = failure as a whole.

^^^This. And if you were to separate those that are less interested in being a bb, it's "no goals" or the lack of direction. I have a couple of friends that are amateur bb and after two years, know for a fact that they don't keep journals, much less have any idea as to whether they're progressing strength-wise. Their diets are their top priorities, but they'll skip days, cardio and exercises for no reason at all. One of them, in fact, spends more time socializing than he does lifting...but after 2 years knows better than to try and engage me in idle chit-chat. They're always on my back for carrying a temp daily excel print-out and pencil and jotting everything down...comments like "Is your memory that bad?" Mentally, knowing that they're still doing the same thing they were a year ago, I'm thinking: "At least I know where I am and where I want to be."

MecGen
02-08-2012, 12:56 PM
From what I see around me failure is due to misjudging the amount of effort (commitment) required, regardless of the good intentions. What I see is people over 40 out of shape, giving all they got for 4 weeks, seeing no results then dropping everything, giving up. Not really giving the time to fine tune their diet or exercise routine. If they are more determined then most, they tough it out 6 months or till Summer, which ever comes first. Life always seem to get in the way.

My problem has been and probably always will be injuries, ironic it was the reason I started all this to begin with, rehab.

Regards

Kodokan
02-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Lack of lifestyle discipline.

NorwichGrad
02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Attitude.

I was gonna say mental mojo, which is basically attitude.

To be more specific, I need to tackle fears. The fear of dropping a heavy weight on one's head is the biggest fear among older Olyers who started the sport late in life. The irony of it is that more people die from benching; I have yet to hear of an Olyer who was split in half. And even my 'close calls' were relatively safe..

Rocky3540
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Im on the road a lot so eating out and working out are usually both done the opposite that they should. I have decided to make it a priority to workout when traveling. I just completed at 3 hour back, abs and cardio workout and when i left my first thought was a beer at buffalo wild wings. Lol. There was a mcaliaters right next door, so i went there instead. My point, you must maintain the desire inside and outside the gym if you want the results.

Epiphany43
02-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't know if it's the most, but a lot of people are afraid to eat enough.

^^^^THIS! BTO is succinct as usual. After being fat for 30 years and losing (most of) it. I am terrified to gain it back. My gym time is very consistent and I have made noticable gains over the past 18 months, but fear eating to much. The diet's pretty dang good (good macros and cheat meal once every two weeks) for maintenance. I have been trying to lose that last 10-15 lbs. for a year now and have decided to finish the cut I started and get it gone once and for all. Then I will SLOWLY start adding weight back.

Guinea-pig
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
No purpose or sense of direction.

plumher
02-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm gonna go with plain old-fashioned desire. People dont succeed in their BB goals 95% of the time because they just dont want it bad enough. If your really want it bad, you're gonna make it happen. I dont care whether its nutrition, consistency, or effort. Most people that fail will not make the necessary consistent changes to their lifestyle to succeed-bottom line.

But if your wanting specifics, I'd narrow it to:

-lack of effort(Everyone want big muscles, but no one wants to lift heavy ash weights-Ronnie Coleman) most people make excuses why they cant/wont work legs or do squats. Mostly, it just becsause it hard work.

-consistent training with a purpose. Be it starting strength or pryamid up. down whatever. have a plan, give it some time to work, then tweak or dump it if your not getting the results you wanted

-consistent adequate nutrition (Fat doesn't build muscle-protein does. although carbs and fat IS important i think its less important than getting enough quality protein)

-

rnacdaley
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
It is an instant gratification society with the onslaught of reality tv and technological advances. People don't have patience for anything anymore. I think this line can easily be drawn to fitness. People think that because they have stuck to a routine for 4 - 6 weeks that they should have a six pack, bench 300lbs, etc. It takes years of consistency and dodging the excuses of 'time' and 'money' throughout the process. You need to establish short term (achievable) goals as well as long term.

I also agree with another post discussing people are afraid to eat. Gaining muscle while eating at a severe deficit is not going to work. Ssay hello to skinny fat land.

Jtbny
02-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Apples and milk are holding me back...apples and milk.

geer_matt
02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow thanks for all of the replies guys/gals. I think the responses are great and often in life and the gym people as a whole tend to get side tracked, lose focus or just simply lose sight of what is important and what needs to be done. I think everyone of the responses in this thread are great reminders and great advice on what needs to be done to achieve anything, especially achieving results in the gym. I think that if anyone feels that they "lost their way" somewhere along the line that going back and reading through these responses would get them right back on track, or at least help them realize where it was they started slipping. I think all of you gave great responses, thanks.

pharmamarketer
02-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Scattered. They are not sure what it is they want. Look at the way most live their lives. No goals or thought of tomorrow. I am a true believer in goal setting and trying to figure out how to get there. That is the fun part

Frnkd
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
"yes, but....."

"I know, but......"

nuff said.

Frnkd
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
"yes, but....."

"I know, but......"

nuff said.

Stop this and you are half way there.
:)

jor012
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
after reading many threads on here over the last couple of years, i started asking myself "what is the biggest thing that holds people back from the gains they are chasing?" my "best" input to this question would be diet and consistency. Diet probably being the biggest one. I know my biggest problem has been consistency, and diet coming in second. Every one that lifts on a regular basis has to deal with injuries and finding ways to lift around them. If they really want it, they find ways to lift around an injury or deal with it the best they can. Like flex, (don't mean to call you out, but read a lot of your post and you make a great example) he admits that benching isn't a strong point due to shoulder problems, but the man is still a squat monster. He deals with it, and works with what he has, no excuses. So barring injury, what holds most people back from the gains they chase the most? Lack of effort, diet, consistency, sleep? I am really curious as to what the more experienced lifters would say is the biggest casuse of failure in the gym. stress!

Kraken
02-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Stop this and you are half way there.
:)

Did you seriously just quote and reply to your own post? I always found that to be a strange thing on forums.

Frnkd
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Did you seriously just quote and reply to your own post? I always found that to be a strange thing on forums.

Hey thanks Kraken for bringing this up. To make a point that I feel is important I have done this as a reference.....however usually after a few posts have gone by and not right after it.

I work in a field where it's all to common to hear "yes, but.....blame this or that" kind of response when giving suggestions. Than you'll find your self spinning your wheels with endless solutions, only to realize, until the "yes, buts" stop, very rarely can solutions BE found. That's when you raise hell and shake the client (not physically of course) with labeling their behavior and set the limits to how much excuses they are entitled to.

Not at all keen to the "etiquette" of posting and such, so if this is not an appropriate thing, let me know. Don't want to be disrupting the flow of ideas and information with my lack of formalities or protocol. srs

MichaelCJ
02-08-2012, 08:59 PM
BUT, in my opinion sincere DESIRE limits most.Yep, that. I was going to post something like "fire", but desire covers the same ground just fine.

Going through the motions; crap like that.

jdtemple
02-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't know if it's the most, but a lot of people are afraid to eat enough.This is my problem, I think.