PDA

View Full Version : Mother requesting AB workout

MikePlow
02-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Hey guys, my mother is 52 years old and wants to get rid of some fat she has on her stomache. She's not too sure what ab workouts to do and I'm not too sure what to tell her. Her home gym consists of a treadmill, a seated leg-raise/chinup apparatus, and a basic workout machine with really not much that could help her except for maybe pulldown crunches.

For the last like year she's used one of those crunch-helper things that you lay your head on and use your hands to guide your crunch -- I told her to get rid of that because you can do about 400 of those things and feel nothing. Then I watched her do her seated leg raises and got her to slow down her movement and not swing. Past that, I'm not too sure what else to tell her.

What do you guys recommend for a sweet young lady?!

MikePlow
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Diet and walking. She's too old to be lifting and she should be getting the right nutrients and staying active. Walk every morning just to start out maybe.

Her diet is superb and she walks every day. I guess I should've added that she's been incredibly active all her life and is in overall great shape, she just has some fat on her stomach she wants to get rid of.

cowboybiker
02-07-2012, 08:55 PM
She's too old to be liftinghttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRceY3gcsjBMzmxvnMI7dgigYzZ6FNDU sCtfEcrgzbjshDJy93G91il84-6

IronCharles
02-07-2012, 09:01 PM
She's too old to be lifting...Yeah, because everybody knows, once you hit the big 5-0, you've got one foot in the grave, so you might as well lay down and start dying. :rolleyes:

This lady is older than the OP's mother, and doing 315 pound rack pulls. Can you pull 315, son?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125945753&page=1

CardinalRB34
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
lifting is actually the best thing she can be doing. #1 reason... as we age - our bones become more brittle. Lifting will increase bone density and make them stronger. #2 reason... lifting will enhance her muscles. ANy addition in LBM will give her a higher resting metabolic rate and give her the ability to burn some of that belly fat. There's probably a few more good reasons to lift... maybe even a hundred. hahahaahah..

what is her diet? half the people that say they eat right - aren't eating near as good as they think.

cowboybiker
02-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Yeah, because everybody knows, once you hit the big 5-0, you've got one foot in the grave, so you might as well lay down and start dying. :rolleyes:I got three years left.

But Im pretty sure you're fuked.

:D

IronCharles
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I got three years left.

But Im pretty sure you're fuked.

:DYeah, I've been laying in hole for a while now, waiting for somebody to come throw dirt on me, but I guess I don't quite smell bad enough yet. ;)

cowboybiker
02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Yeah, I've been laying in hole for a while now, waiting for somebody to come throw dirt on me, but I guess I don't quite smell bad enough yet. ;)Thats o.k.
Teh zombies will get you soon enough :D

Old-Time-Lifter
02-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Her diet is superb and she walks every day. I guess I should've added that she's been incredibly active all her life and is in overall great shape, she just has some fat on her stomach she wants to get rid of.

Help her fix her diet and get onto a exercise regime.... which should include weight training.

brb, gotta go neg the dude that said she was too old to lift...........

gbk56
02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey guys, my mother is 52 years old and wants to get rid of some fat she has on her stomache. She's not too sure what ab workouts to do and I'm not too sure what to tell her. Her home gym consists of a treadmill, a seated leg-raise/chinup apparatus, and a basic workout machine with really not much that could help her except for maybe pulldown crunches.

For the last like year she's used one of those crunch-helper things that you lay your head on and use your hands to guide your crunch -- I told her to get rid of that because you can do about 400 of those things and feel nothing. Then I watched her do her seated leg raises and got her to slow down her movement and not swing. Past that, I'm not too sure what else to tell her.

What do you guys recommend for a sweet young lady?!

If you want to lose fat you need to be on a caloric deficit. Doing abs is not the best way to get to a caloric deficit. The best thing to do is exercicse and get your diet right. If you do not want to do that you may want to try just cutting some carbs and increasing your workout time. Maybe at every meal take away about half the carbs you are eating and increase your workout time by 20%.

For example, if you run 20 minutes three times a week maybe run 20 minutes 4 times a week.

For the diet if you have a tuna sandwich, get rid of half the bread and make a gigantic half a sandwich. If you are eating steak and potatos get rid of half the potato.

In short, if you decrease calories from carbs and increase activity level, you should be on your way to losing fat.

I guess you could do an hour of abs and that would count as increasing activity level, but you would burn more calories doing something else.

hochspeyer
02-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Diet and walking. She's too old to be lifting and she should be getting the right nutrients and staying active. Walk every morning just to start out maybe.

Dude- are you serious?

MikePlow
02-07-2012, 11:23 PM
just a sec, lemme upload a picture so you guys can put it into perspective

http://i40.tinypic.com/9rprg4.jpg

She jogs on the treadmill for around 30 minutes a day; possibly more, possibly less. I'll have to ask her tomorrow, but that's how long it seems to me from just being around while she's on it. Her diet consists of mostly fruits, veggies, salads, and a low-calorie protein shake with some old whey of mine. She doesn't eat a lot of carbs at all. Mind you, this isn't a strict diet and she of course indulges in a bowl of icecream every now and then. It just seems as though her treadmill work isn't enough to get rid of the "baby fat" she calls it. So she's wondering what else she can do to get her abs back (she had them after having two kids :P they disappeared mysteriously)

IronCharles
02-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Ok, if that's your mom, then she's in a lot better shape than most of the people who post here. The only way she can get rid of that last little bit of fat covering the abs is to restrict calories even further, or increase activity while eating the same amount, or a combination of both. Actually working the ab muscles has little do do with it.

Tell your mom to start an account here, and ask her questions directly. We don't bite..... at least not fatally. Good luck to you both.

DSUP
02-08-2012, 01:16 AM

Dude. That's your Mom? Seriously bro? Dayum...

mrmrbill
02-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Mum's arms look better than mine. :(

OP, ... I think you can ignore the "too old to be lifting" advices further upthread.

jor012
02-08-2012, 07:12 AM
I haven't been around here long enough to know how often people in their 20's post here but I've noticed, since the kid that was in a car crash got his ass handed to him..there has been a couple of threads where the first responder is under 35 with what seems like jabs at our age group. "52 is to old to be working out"

My guess is this thread is BS..and I'll bet there are some new over 35 members that are not real.

CardinalRB34
02-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Tosca Reno is over 50... so is Christie Brinkley.

Animalwannabe
02-08-2012, 08:18 AM
He said his mother was a little old lady at age 51 with some meat on her. I suspected inactive soon to be grandmother material with osteoperosis. Did not realize over 35 was this crazy about age and lifting.

-=FLEX=-
02-08-2012, 08:31 AM
OP, an ab workout will not reduce abdominal fat. You cannot spot reduce fat regardless, but ab work won't burn fat period.

Caloric deficit burns fat.

Did not realize over 35 was this crazy about age and lifting.

You may leave now.

Thanks.

Corbi
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM

Not too fuking shabby for an old lady:D And lmao at the clown claiming over 50 is too old, I have 10 months until I hit 50 and I guarantee you are full of $hit.

gbk56
02-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Seems like her diet is not too bad and looks like she exercises regularly. It will be tough to lose that last bit of fat. It also seems like she does her fair share of cardio. I would think maybe adding some lifting would be the most helpful to burn some more calories and add some muscle which will also help in burning more calories. Maybe try doing bodyweight exercises like pushups, lunges squats etc. Make a full body program that she could do three times a week for about 30 minutes in addition to the running. Also include doing abs. Basic crunches, reverse crunches, and bicycle crunches would be good.

Example:

Bodyweight Squats 3 sets of 20
Walking Lunges 3 Sets of 10
Push ups 3 sets of 10
Chinups 3 sets (put her feet on a chair bending her legs at the knees if bodyweight is too much)

Superset reverse crunches with bicycle crunches 3 sets of 10 each.

If you could convince her to get some dumbells she would be able to have a little more variety in her lifiting.

hochspeyer
02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
After further review, that pic sure does look chopped. Just sayin'.