PDA

View Full Version : After cutting

KGiron
02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
So I am close to done with my cut and I am starting to work on my next plan. I don't want to lose all my hard work on the cut but I am looking forward to getting my strength back and the muscle that I lost in the past few weeks.

Long term I want to be 200 lbs at 10% bf

After my cut I will be 170-175 at 10% bf. I'm hopeful that I will add 5-10 lbs pretty quickly and not gain much fat.

What are realistic goals for adding muscle to my frame?

ljimd
02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Congrats on your cut. As for adding muscle, there are too many factors involved to make anything but a guess. Give it your best and take what you get.

Bofrere21
02-07-2012, 04:54 PM
I dunno what type of diet you did, but I would slowly increase the macro (especially protein) till you begin to see muscle adding and watching for where is 'sweet spot' just before packing fat.

Eric

JOHN GARGANI
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
okay: you have certainly leaned out, but here is a frank analysis of your avatar, so you know which direction to go in.

your delts, noticeably lateral and rear, and your back need a lot of attention...you have almost no taper....

concentrate on WIDTH: do a LOT of lateral work in delts and get cracking with lat work also...

this will bring you more into balance, which, honestly, is what you need right now rather than overall size...

Kraken
02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I dunno what type of diet you did, but I would slowly increase the macro (especially protein) till you begin to see muscle adding and watching for where is 'sweet spot' just before packing fat.

Eric

Was going to reply with somehing similar. It might take some playing around, but just add in calories little by little. Once you start seeing your abs smooth out, you know you reached your threshold.

okay: you have certainly leaned out, but here is a frank analysis of your avatar, so you know which direction to go in.

your delts, noticeably lateral and rear, and your back need a lot of attention...you have almost no taper....

concentrate on WIDTH: do a LOT of lateral work in delts and get cracking with lat work also...

this will bring you more into balance, which, honestly, is what you need right now rather than overall size...

OP was leaning back so that his abs came out more and his stomach looked flatter. The downside of that is it makes the waist look wider.

OP, practice standing with good posture, with abs "activated", and this will give you the best possible look naturally. It's important to stand with good posture for many reasons, and it will actually give you an more aesthetic look too.

KGiron
02-07-2012, 08:05 PM
I don't think that my ratios are off that much I definitely lost some strength and mass. I just want to formulate a diet plan for the next phase. Thanks for the tips on adding slowly.

I was cutting pretty hard. I finally figured out that diet is 75% of the deal. I have read it for years but never took the time to really invest the time. I went from just trying to control portions to really focusing in on 40/40/20 with a serious cal deficient plan.

Protein has been 175g on off days and 220 on training days.

over all cals have been from 1500 to 1700 per day

KGiron
02-07-2012, 08:10 PM
o yeah I'll post some better pics tomorrow from my computer that has some others on it I wasn't trying for ab popping photo it is just my most recent progress picture. I was trying for relaxed real pic to see my progress. I don't invest much time trying to get the lighting right or flexing this way or that.

Kraken
02-07-2012, 08:15 PM
o yeah I'll post some better pics tomorrow from my computer that has some others on it I wasn't trying for ab popping photo it is just my most recent progress picture. I was trying for relaxed real pic to see my progress. I don't invest much time trying to get the lighting right or flexing this way or that.

NOthing wrong with trying to improve poses. It's an art, and when done properly, can make a huge difference. Many people don't practice them, and it shows. You can make an average back look big, or you can really bring out a V taper that you didn't realize you had.

Check out my back double bicep pose in my avatar. Took about 6 shots to nail it. I haven't been practicing as much as I used to, and it showed. When I finally nailed it, it made my back look twice the size as it is relaxed.

ironwill2008
02-08-2012, 08:26 AM
What are realistic goals for adding muscle to my frame?

Probably about 5 pounds of muscle per year, if you do mostly everything right, most of the time.

KGiron
02-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Probably about 5 pounds of muscle per year, if you do mostly everything right, most of the time.

Thats what I am looking for. thanks for the hint. Do you get jump on that right after you are done with a drastic cut. Like muscle memory gain or anything.

I just want to prepare myself for what to expect. You know expectations to high or too low can really affect your attitude.

ironwill2008
02-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Thats what I am looking for. thanks for the hint. Do you get jump on that right after you are done with a drastic cut. Like muscle memory gain or anything.

I just want to prepare myself for what to expect. You know expectations to high or too low can really affect your attitude.

Some people will see a short but quick increase in muscle/strength immediately after coming off a cut, but this is mostly confined to guys who compete, and are coming back from a severe bodybuilding comp prep.

It's probably best to simply ramp-up your calorie intake from deficit to surplus gradually, over a period of weeks, and then just work diligently to progress your training poundages over the course of the next year. If you're consistent, Mother Nature and Father Time will take care of the rest.

KGiron
02-08-2012, 11:15 AM

here is another pic. I know I need more muscle we all need that lol

KLMARB
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Here's a good concept to avoid fat regain: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/nutr_timing_1.htm