PDA

View Full Version : Price Whey too High

carbkilla
02-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Have you noticed the price of whey powder has gone through the roof? What do you do just keep buying the same stuff and just pay more or do you shop around? What brand has the best bang for the buck on whey powder?

Thanks,
CK

hochspeyer
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
This doesn't really belong here.

jor012
02-07-2012, 05:49 AM
Have you noticed the price of whey powder has gone through the roof? What do you do just keep buying the same stuff and just pay more or do you shop around? What brand has the best bang for the buck on whey powder?

Thanks,
CKThe stuff i use has 26 grams of protein per 34 gram scoop (one 8oz shake) 14.99 for 2lbs. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the brand or the store name..but it's from a large retail chain..figure it out

I've shopped around and compared all the nutritional facts of different brands and I found this to be the most economical.

If I've done the math right that comes to 50cents per 8oz shake

tsoden
02-07-2012, 06:20 AM
I have been buying Body Fortress at Walmart for about a year or so now. Usually get it on sale for about $15 CND for 2lb tub of 100% whey. Sometimes I will buy the 100% whey ISOLATE, but it is $23 for a 2lb tub
Generally I go through a tub a month.

HairyScandinavian
02-07-2012, 06:42 AM
I used to shop around and buy 10 and sometimes 20 lbs at a time, but I've gotten lazy and come to prefer the flavor of a certain bagged protein matrix blend (not 100% whey) so I've just been grabbing that even though it's not the cheapest.

jor012
02-07-2012, 06:52 AM
I have been buying Body Fortress at Walmart for about a year or so now. Usually get it on sale for about $15 CND for 2lb tub of 100% whey. Sometimes I will buy the 100% whey ISOLATE, but it is $23 for a 2lb tub
Generally I go through a tub a month.O.k. you mentioned it. I wasn't sure if I could do that on this forum.

fastnoypi
02-07-2012, 06:57 AM
how does Body Fortress taste? Almost all the whey brands out there are at/close to $10/lb.

HairyScandinavian
02-07-2012, 06:59 AM
how does Body Fortress taste? Almost all the whey brands out there are at/close to $10/lb.

lol that stuff is horrible. My son asked for a tub for football locker room and I tried a scoop, yuck. He had me buy vanilla the next time, same response from me but he says he likes it????

Guinea-pig
02-07-2012, 07:09 AM
Yes kinda high bought some whey powder 10lbs and some 1mr with discounts and all total was 120.97

tsoden
02-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Actually Chocolate is fine. To me it tastes like Chocolate milk. MUCH BETTER than 6 star thriple chocolate blend... ugh

Guff
02-07-2012, 08:22 AM
FYI Body Fortress gave me intestinal cramps and the squirts.

Target has their own Market Pantry stuff for like $18 a jug, it's delicious, mixes well and doesn't mess with my poo. It's been the same price for years and hasn't went up at all.

carbkilla
02-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I got some Six Star from walgreens at $10 Lb. Taste much better than that Walmt stuff. I should have checked here first, the Super Store is about the same. I could of had ON for that price.

keyboardworkout
02-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I love the Team Skip stuff. They were running a special and I just got 16 lbs for $120 delivered in tubs and with premium flavoring.

NuclearArms
02-07-2012, 09:45 AM
They have been calling for whey to go higher the past 4 years as farm costs rise. Will say that the price has gone up more than milk and dairy products.

Buy in bulk and buy at shows.

AFChief
02-07-2012, 09:54 AM
I buy only on sale. If its a brand I like then I grab 20-25 pounds. But yeah...Supp and protein prices went up more than they should have. I can live without most, but I'm not a big meat eater so want my whey.

jor012
02-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Stay away from strawberry. vanilla is not bad, i prefer the chocolate

Marius_Ursus
02-07-2012, 10:13 AM
BodyFortress is the only whey brand I've ever tried that makes my guts hurt. It's only the powder that does that, though. The protein shooters don't do that to me.

I shop around for whatever's cheapest.

MarkDL
02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Vitacost Whey has been my go-to for a year now. I like the Vanilla, not over-powering, and it mixes well. Also has BCAAs included. 5.5 lbs for $37 is reasonable. Never had any stomach issues with it.

HairyScandinavian
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
One that really used to be good was the Scivation 10lb boxes of chocolate. I think I could find them for $65 at the time, burned through a lot of those boxes. They changed the formula and made it suck but word is they have some new things going on and a new one is supposed to be out soon. I'll try another box after they change it again.

hodgempls
02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I used to use Scivation 10lbers but the quality was too inconsistant. Sometimes it would be light, fluffy and mix well. Other times it would be sandy, taste like crap, and not mix at all. I just received a 10lb bag of NOW sports isolate whey for $76. Tastes great, easy on the stomach, and mixes well.

HairyScandinavian
02-07-2012, 12:17 PM
I used to use Scivation 10lbers but the quality was too inconsistant. Sometimes it would be light, fluffy and mix well. Other times it would be sandy, taste like crap, and not mix at all. I just received a 10lb bag of NOW sports isolate whey for $76. Tastes great, easy on the stomach, and mixes well.

I thought I had a "bad box" but the 2nd one I ordered after "the bad one" was the same way, didn't mix worth a damn, tasted funny, and like you said a sandy grit to it and clumps of cocoa powder in there too. Both of the last boxes are the same, then I found out they changed the formula and the reps said it's better and improved now. :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to trying it again to see if they fixed the issues. In the mean time I'll try the NOW.

TheIronMaster
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
It didn't go up where i shop.

war1575
02-07-2012, 02:01 PM

I use Body Fortress too

The Chocolate is not bad by itself
The Vanilla sucks, so I put a scoop of instant coffee in it to make it more of a latte flavored shake
The Strawberry also sucks, and there's nothing you can do about that.

tsoden
02-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I use Body Fortress too

The Chocolate is not bad by itself
The Vanilla sucks, so I put a scoop of instant coffee in it to make it more of a latte flavored shake
The Strawberry also sucks, and there's nothing you can do about that.I made he mistake of buying strawberry....shake it with lots of milk and it's tolerable.

Jtbny
02-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Most of the cheaper wheys I've tried taste like shti. I finally broke down and bought trutein cinnabon and won't look back ( although I have trutein peanut butter chocolate right now ) for me I want to actually not gag while drinking a shake so ll spend the straight coin for one that taste good.

At 50+ for 5 lbs I'd say it's kinda pricey but well worth it for me.

danow
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
BodyFortress is the only whey brand I've ever tried that makes my guts hurt. It's only the powder that does that, though. The protein shooters don't do that to me.

I shop around for whatever's cheapest.Doesn't the Bodyfortress also contain creatine?

cockywop
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Stay away from strawberry. vanilla is not bad, i prefer the chocolate

Second that. The strawberry was awful. The vanilla is the best tasting whey I've had and if I want chocolate I'll throw a little Hersheys in there.

Corbi
02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Actually Chocolate is fine. To me it tastes like Chocolate milk. MUCH BETTER than 6 star thriple chocolate blend... ugh

I have no issues with Body Fortress and that's what I keep at work since the smaller tubs fit fine in my desk vs the massive 5 lb ON tubs. And agreed with the 6 star stuff...nasty tasting.

cockywop
02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Protein Factory is selling Whey Concentrate from New Zealand. Grass fed No antibiotics.

6.78 a pound. Thats cheaper than Walmarts chinese stuff.

Have not tried it yet so I have no idea how it tastes.

Wont let me post a link but it's called MegaWhey from Protein factory. Gotta buy 10 lbs though

Our Whey Protein Concentrate comes from New Zealand. This guarantee’s three things: Grass-fed dairy cows and Hormone Free. We only stock the finest Whey Protein Concentrate in the world. Whey Protein Concentrate from the United States unfortunately cannot guarantee; grass-fed or hormone free.

danow
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Picked up a 2lb. Frosty Chocolate Pure Protein at walmart for $18. Not bad tasting actually.

crupiea
02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
I bought 3 lbs of carne asada meat today for $2.49 per lb.

CardinalRB34
02-07-2012, 08:11 PM
haahhaaha... you can buy NON flavored whey protein if you do not care about taste. You can order like a 20 pound box for like $19. plus shipping. It's been about 17 years since I did that... hahahaa. but if you've never had NON flavored generic whey - it is the most foul, worst tasting sh!t you have never tried. I WILL NEVER do that again... that was back when I was a broke college kid.

I usually buy on quality and price. My opinion on what I think is the best bang for the buck as far as quality, taste, and price is HYDRO WHEY by Optimum. Plus, I don't get the runs or any stomach bloat from this brand either.

pvsampson
02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Take one litre of milk,squeeze 1/2 a lemon in,stir.The white chunky stuff is "curds" for your toast,and the remaining liquid is about the purest "whey" you can get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey

billb7581
02-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Ha.. There used to be a company that made casein near me, When I was a skinny HS kid trying to pack on some mass for football, my cheap father used to get this stuff in a Clear glass jar with a label on the side that just said "Casein" it tasted like shiznit.

Thywillbedone
02-08-2012, 03:39 AM
I also use the Hydro Whey by Optimum Nutrition - have tried a few other brands here in the UK which leave me with cramps or have too much sweetener to mask a nasty taste. Maybe its not the case with whey but I tend to believe that you get what you pay for.

fastnoypi
02-08-2012, 05:58 AM

you're ahead of everyone here, i'd rather be eating some real deal tacos than drinking a shake.

carbkilla
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm in USA. +1 for Hydro Whey by Optimum Nutrition love velocity vanilla and turbo chocolate hate the price.

I was in Acme the other day and saw a pound of ON gold standard for $17.50 ouch.

CK

DubfromGA
02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Myofusion in any flavor works for me. 5 lbs for $38 has been what I've been paying since last July.

stingray72
02-09-2012, 08:59 AM
I buy dymatize elite for 36 for 5 pounds

Dsly
02-09-2012, 04:52 PM
Meijer just started carrying Bodylogix 100% natural protein. I get the chocolate in 2lbs for $18. It has 24g per serving with lots of BCAAs and glutemine, etc.
What makes this stuff unique and the reason I buy it is because it has NO aspartame or asulfame potassium, sucralose, etc. It uses Stevia which is supposed to be the only sweetener (other than natural sugar) that doesn't screw something up in your body.

billb7581
02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey what is the trick to getting this crap to disolve in the milk, anyone?

TheIronMaster
02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
I use a blender.

ArchAngel'73
02-09-2012, 06:52 PM
I use a blender.

Sum bish...
I've been using a shaker cup and putting my finger in the electrical socket for years and now you tell me??
:eek:

penn28
02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Take one litre of milk,squeeze 1/2 a lemon in,stir.The white chunky stuff is "curds" for your toast,and the remaining liquid is about the purest "whey" you can get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey

Will this be high in fat / carbs?

DocHoss
02-10-2012, 04:38 AM

Does that mean Little Miss Muffet was a bodybuilder? Maybe I need to check if my gym has a tuffet! The things we didn't know about nursery rhymes....

c-diddy
02-10-2012, 06:17 PM
I use cytosport 100% whey 6lbs for $40 from Costco. Good tasting stuff.. Price used to be $33 a couple years ago.

bmccurdy
02-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Vitacost Whey has been my go-to for a year now. I like the Vanilla, not over-powering, and it mixes well. Also has BCAAs included. 5.5 lbs for $37 is reasonable. Never had any stomach issues with it.

Bought the chocolate recently, great flavor and mixes just as well as the popular brands. 5lbs for only $17, sale cost plus used a $10 coupon for the refer-a-friend....

Skidmarx
02-11-2012, 04:17 AM
FYI Body Fortress gave me intestinal cramps and the squirts.

I think there's a warning on the package that includes "may causes excess gas with oily discharge"

tsoden
02-11-2012, 05:32 AM
Hey what is the trick to getting this crap to disolve in the milk, anyone?A high quality shaker with a stainless steel sping ball in it (srs). Those shakers rock and really get the shake nice and frothy.

tsoden
02-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Does that mean Little Miss Muffet was a bodybuilder? Maybe I need to check if my gym has a tuffet! The things we didn't know about nursery rhymes....

Nah...she just liked her cottage cheese.

tsoden
02-11-2012, 05:36 AM
I think there's a warning on the package that includes "may causes excess gas with oily discharge"I have no adverse effects with body fortress whatsoever...and no, that warning does not exist on the container.

Dsly
02-11-2012, 08:08 AM

I put a couple ice cubes in with the shaker cup and they help to mix it up.

nlsecor
02-11-2012, 08:11 AM
************ has this. I also like the NOW isolate for the same price 10lb they have a plain with no fillers that I love with xtend, malto and gatorade for post work out. I have noticed the ON selling for over a $100 at most places. I am not sure if prices just come down to relationships, but I don't think any one site has consistently low prices on everything. It probably has to do with web content space or something. The more you advertise, the better price you get...maybe.

jor012
02-11-2012, 02:37 PM

I use an old plastic tomato juice bottle and shake the fu%#&ng s&%t out of it.

Guinea-pig
01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Protein powder prices are higher, last year I paid 59.99 for 5lb gnc pro performance, this year 79,99.

Might just substiute with more home cooking.

MichaelCJ
01-15-2013, 09:28 AM
I get 5kg* of pure WPC for $85 (AUD) at the moment. Seems okay value, but I haven't really looked around for quite a while.

* That's ~11lbs for you guys, lol. :p

Which country you in op?

I know where to get 20kgs 45lbs, for $350 in Australia. Which is FUARKEN cheap for this part of the world.You can get 20kg (~44lbs) of WPC for just under $300 (AUD) in Australia.

induced_drag
01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Protein powder prices are higher, last year I paid 59.99 for 5lb gnc pro performance, this year 79,99.

Might just substiute with more home cooking.

Why buy from GNC?

You can order right here on BB.com for MUCH cheaper. Plus if you poke around, you can always find a 10% off code to use. If you find cheaper prices on the net, they will also price match.

All in all, BB.com gives about the best service around. If they stock it here, I usually order from here. I have used price match a few times as well without issue.

r0xx0rs
01-15-2013, 09:37 AM
I just ordered a fairly cheap protein at Nutra Planet called Meta Force by SAN.

http://www.***********.com/product/san/meta-force-5-06-lbs.

It looks really good for the prices, I don't know (or care really) about taste or clumpiness and haven't yet received my order but it got alot of protein in it.
It comes in at about 1742 grams of protein at that price, and its a blend of different proteins which I really like. Also has Folic Acid, Calcium, B2 B1, Zinc and other good stuff. 19% DV of iron though, which I don't really like but it seems like a real nice buy. Sorta wish I got a second tub because it seems to be going back up, but whatever.

SPI-90
Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate
Micellar Casein
Whey Protein Isolate
Milk Protein Isolate
Whey Protein Concentrate
Calcium Caseinate

Is the protein Matrix, or watever.

Soy Protein is present in there, but its Soy Protein Isolate, which I read doesn't turn you into a woman.

Either way, I hear its usually priced pretty cheap so its worth a look.

Alanine 3.52 g
Arginine 6.62 g
Aspartic Acid 10.31 g
Cystine 2.64 g
Glutamic Acid 16.52 g
Glycine 3.39 g
Histidine† 2.69 g
Isoleucine† 3.46 g
Leucine† 7.52 g
Lysine† 5.43 g
Methionine 1.26 g
Phenylalanine 3.87 g
Proline 4.44 g
Serine 4.55 g
Threonine† 2.88 g
Tryptophan† 1.5 g
Tyrosine 3.15 g
Valine† 4.06 g

also has a pretty sick amino acid profile, which I just realized and EFA's. This stuff is definitely worth checking out

Guinea-pig
01-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Why buy from GNC?

You can order right here on BB.com for MUCH cheaper. Plus if you poke around, you can always find a 10% off code to use. If you find cheaper prices on the net, they will also price match.

All in all, BB.com gives about the best service around. If they stock it here, I usually order from here. I have used price match a few times as well without issue.

Just convenience (lazy) thank's for suggestion will start looking into that.

r0xx0rs
01-15-2013, 09:42 AM

THIS too, best in the world. Go MEX or Go HOME!

r0xx0rs
01-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Why buy from GNC?

Reppin for Price match, thats REAL good to hear, bwahaha

DesertDude11
01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Why buy from GNC?

Same here, bb.com is almost half price as most brick and mortar stores including Costco

1325AIR
01-15-2013, 10:36 AM
ON Vanilla Hydrowhey = all the whey! Just ordered another tub = code: welcome10 (10% off:)

Kingthumper
01-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Same here, bb.com is almost half price as most brick and mortar stores including Costco
Don't forget about all the free lootz they include with orders over 75$ :D Skull caps, towels, socks, shirts, funnels, shakers, license plate frames, etc... I got all the swag!

Also, bb.com service/delivery is very hard to beat. I live in Seattle, and if I put in an order by 12PM, its on my door step in 2 days if it comes from ID (3 days if from PA). Thats pretty damn good.

bicepbomber
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Hasn't really changed here..