PDA

View Full Version : A little frustrated, maybe you can help?

BoutIt618
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Hey im 34, male, played competitive sports until 19 y/o, continued recreational sports, been in the gym most of the last 18 yrs of my life.

I am 6'1 and have been as low as 198 lbs with a 31 in waist and as big as 248 with a 38'' waist, im usually good at being able to cut weight relatively quickly.

this new years i was weighing in right at 239-240 and i decided to do a 12 week fitness self challenge.... everything im doing for this is completely different than anything ive ever done before in terms of diet, supplements and routine.

i have been to the gym 30 of the last 35 days in which i usually do a 10 min cardio warmup, 2 muscle groups to failure... usually 150 reps per group sets of 10-12 then a follow up with 15 min cardio, this is in the morning... evenings i usually do another 20 min cardio on my stationary bike at home, high resistance.

my diet is clean as a whistle and i have cut down to drinking alcohol one night a week and thats usually under 4 drinks. by clean diet i mean a typical day for me is 4 egg whites , a coffee and a nonfat yogurt for breakfast, protein shake post workout, grilled chicken breast, salad and half baked sweet potato with spray butter for lunch, half avocado and nonfat yogurt for afternoon snack and a protein, a veggie and a starch, moderate sized for dinner. I drink water , coffee and tea, no sugar... occasional skim milk... my daily diet runs about 2200-2500 cals

i take agmatine, whey protein, bcaas and a multi everyday

35 days later, im 237lbs.... irritating to say the least.... average person at home or gym says, 'oh its probably muscle' yeah my clothes fit better, im stronger, my energy has gone up, etc etc

im just wondering why the hell im eating clean, AND low cal, AND high cardio and im not losing weight? its got me bummed out... and i mean im not sporting a gut, im a fairly fit 237 (approx 18-20% bf) but i need someone with a possible answer or a lie good enough to psych me up because im losing my positivity here lately.... im gonna keep going but i need to see more results....HELP lol

Marius_Ursus
02-06-2012, 01:00 PM
yeah my clothes fit better, im stronger, my energy has gone up, etc etc

l

There's your answer. Don't worry about it until there's something to worry about.

induced_drag
02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Weight loss is primarily about calories burned vs calories consumed.

Clean or dirty does not really matter.

To address you issues whether you are gaining muscle....simple....track and take skinfold and tape measure readings. Just simply measuring the waist can also tell you 90% of what you need to know.

BoutIt618
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Weight loss is primarily about calories burned vs calories consumed.

Clean or dirty does not really matter.

To address you issues whether you are gaining muscle....simple....track and take skinfold and tape measure readings. Just simply measuring the waist can also tell you 90% of what you need to know.

i know @ cals in vs cals out, and yeah my waist is down, i can wear 34's easily again... doesnt where the cals come from matter? cals from fat vs cals from proteins etc?

i guess my frustration lies in the fact im eating low cals for a guy my size and working out like im getting ready for the apocalypse so my cals out should exceed my cals in.... anyway thanks for the input brutha

BoutIt618
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
There's your answer. Don't worry about it until there's something to worry about.

i kinda dig that philosophy, thanks

induced_drag
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
i know @ cals in vs cals out, and yeah my waist is down, i can wear 34's easily again... doesnt where the cals come from matter? cals from fat vs cals from proteins etc?

i guess my frustration lies in the fact im eating low cals for a guy my size and working out like im getting ready for the apocalypse so my cals out should exceed my cals in.... anyway thanks for the input brutha

Not really as far as were the cals are coming from from a fat loss perspective. Keeping protein high (1-1.5g/lb of bw) help hold on to muscle better. Fat should be at a min .35x bw.(although I have gone as low as .3 without issue) Fill in the rest from there. Careful not to drop cal too low....that can be counterproductive.

To help better answer your questions....what is your daily intake of cals like right now? What is the breakdown of carbs/fats/pro. This will answer a lot of questions.

jor012
02-06-2012, 01:20 PM
im usually good at being able to cut weight relatively quickly.

i decided to do a 12 week fitness self challenge.... everything im doing for this is completely different than anything ive ever done before in terms of diet, supplements and routine.
Do what you used to do.

BoutIt618
02-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Not really as far as were the cals are coming from from a fat loss perspective. Keeping protein high (1-1.5g/lb of bw) help hold on to muscle better. Fat should be at a min .35x bw.(although I have gone as low as .3 without issue) Fill in the rest from there. Careful not to drop cal too low....that can be counterproductive.

To help better answer your questions....what is your daily intake of cals like right now? What is the breakdown of carbs/fats/pro. This will answer a lot of questions.

im at 2200-2500 cals a day with no more than 30% coming from fats....then a fairly greater amt coming from protein and a low amount of carbs.... no breads, very little pastas, more like sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc

BoutIt618
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Do what you used to do.

perhaps a good move in theory, but truthfully, it was so aggressive, it was a lifestyle i couldnt live with, i need something maintainable

induced_drag
02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
im at 2200-2500 cals a day with no more than 30% coming from fats....then a fairly greater amt coming from protein and a low amount of carbs.... no breads, very little pastas, more like sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc

Give your height age and weight a quck BMR calc (only an estimate) is about 2240. Add in your activity multiplier, (guessing 1.65..but could be higher with the workouts you are doing)...and your TDEE is around 3700 cals.

Your cals are WAYYYY to low if you are only in-taking 2240. Start with a 500 cal deficit and go from there. With a 1500 cal daily deficit, you would be seeing the scale drop 3 lbs a week....so something is not right. ( you dont want to lose 3 lbs / week anyway!)

My guess....is you really dont know what you are intaking.

BoutIt618
02-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Give your height age and weight a quck BMR calc (only an estimate) is about 2240. Add in your activity multiplier, (guessing 1.65..but could be higher with the workouts you are doing)...and your TDEE is around 3700 cals.

Your cals are WAYYYY to low if you are only in-taking 2240. Start with a 500 cal deficit and go from there. With a 1500 cal daily deficit, you would be seeing the scale drop 3 lbs a week....so something is not right. ( you dont want to lose 3 lbs / week anyway!)

My guess....is you really dont know what you are intaking.

maybe not, i dont snack or have snacky food around my house, i dont drink soda, i dont eat junk or sweets, i dont add sugar to stuff.... i only drink beer/alcohol once a week....

i guess journaling would help me out... i guess my weight loss is healthy and progressing?

Aussiefirie
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
I have the same issue at 39, eating as well as I can, have cut out sugar,added salt, avoid processed foods. I have been training a four day split with weights, cardio 2-3 days. my clothes are slooooowwwwlllyyy getting looser, but that bloody gut wont go away!! I know I have to persevere and I will, but I would love to know why I cant budge the tummy bulge. Thats why I am going to see a dietitian/ sports physiologist to get some expert advice. Good luck mate and keep working.

ironwill2008
02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
maybe not, i dont snack or have snacky food around my house, i dont drink soda, i dont eat junk or sweets, i dont add sugar to stuff.... i only drink beer/alcohol once a week....

But are you weighing/measuring all your portions, and tracking them on one of the food-tracker sites? If you're not, then you're just guessing, and that will only keep you chasing your own tail. Posting a list of foods you eat/don't eat is of little value.

How many grams of protein are you consuming every day?

How many grams of fat? Of carbs?

Until you're able to accurately answer these basic questions, your progress will be hit or miss at best.

If you're serious about making real progress, start over, here. Use the information in this thread to figure a realistic baseline of protein, carbs, and fat, at the appropriate caloric level:
*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Then, buy an inexpensive food scale (~$30 at any of the big-box discount stores) and start weighing all your portions. Track them here: http://fitday.com.

Is it a PITA to start doing all this? Yep. Is it necessary in order to see consistent progress towards your goal? Yep. Does it get easier after you've been doing it for a while? Yep again.

tsoden
02-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately it really is a numbers game. The thing is a calorie is a calorie...does not matter where it comes from...it's just a source of energy. It is recommended to get your calories from foods that are beneficial to muscle building, but otherwise it really does not matter where they come from. When you add exercise, lifting and or cardio, these are essentially tools to help manage the calories you consume. You can lose weight without exercising...this is proven with plans such as weight watchers.

If you plan to lose weight, you need to determine the number of calories your body needs to keep what you have. Once you know this, then as mentioned, you reduce this number by about 500. 3500 cals is the equivalent of 1 lb. so as I said, this can be done with no exercise. The thing is, without exercise, the weight may not necessarily be fat only. The other thing is, when you exercise,you need to be aware of how this impacts your daily calorie consumption. If you burn off more than you consume, you enter starvation mode...and your body starts to store food intake as fat. It's a balancing act. So you need to ensure you are consuming enough to feed your exercise. Depending on your intensity,an hour of weight lifting is about500 to 600 cals burned. An hour of intense cardio can be 700 to 1000 cals.

So as I said, you really need to strikes balance between your food intake and your exercise...because when done right, they do work togetherandyou will lose weight.

induced_drag
02-06-2012, 06:33 PM
But are you weighing/measuring all your portions, and tracking them on one of the food-tracker sites? If you're not, then you're just guessing, and that will only keep you chasing your own tail. Posting a list of foods you eat/don't eat is of little value.

How many grams of protein are you consuming every day?

How many grams of fat? Of carbs?

Until you're able to accurately answer these basic questions, your progress will be hit or miss at best.

If you're serious about making real progress, start over, here. Use the information in this thread to figure a realistic baseline of protein, carbs, and fat, at the appropriate caloric level:
*Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Then, buy an inexpensive food scale (~$30 at any of the big-box discount stores) and start weighing all your portions. Track them here: http://fitday.com.

Is it a PITA to start doing all this? Yep. Is it necessary in order to see consistent progress towards your goal? Yep. Does it get easier after you've been doing it for a while? Yep again.

I tried IW.....:( Did not do as good a job as you though!

crupiea
02-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Balance.

You workouts need to be in balance with your diet.

Sounds to me like you are working out alot.

I would venture to say that you need to eat a bit more or workout a bit less.

Try picking on or the other for a week and see what happens.

If it were me I would trim the workouts to once per day for starters. this will give you more rest plus give your body a chance to do what you want it to do.

If you are drinking once per week then you need to keep something in mind. even though there might not be a ton of calories in booze depending on what you are drinking your bidy will address getting rid of it before it does anything else. So one night of drinking will pretty much stall your weight loss for 3-4 days after. So you will diet for 7 days to get 3-4 days results. very frustrating.

Also it will make you retaing water so that will show up on the scale as well.

As much as it pains me to say it, i would drop the booze to see what happens.

ironwill2008
02-06-2012, 07:13 PM
I tried IW.....:( Did not do as good a job as you though!

Posters are free to accept or reject advice offered.

The good news is that there will likely be many other readers who will benefit from the information posted ITT. That's always something to consider when you post a reply to a query. :)

jor012
02-07-2012, 06:35 AM
perhaps a good move in theory, but truthfully, it was so aggressive, it was a lifestyle i couldnt live with, i need something maintainable I'm guessing your not counting calories as accuratly as you should be..are you including calories in your supps? low fat yogart..watch the sugar in yogart. Your pre workout cardio may be killing things for you..that's the worst time for any cardio..best time is on your off days from weight training. 150 reps per muscle sounds way to high. 30 - 60 is ideal..

I don't know but with all of your reps and cardio sounds more like endurance training..maybe your not getting enough carbs to suit your training..something is out of balace.
How long are your sessions? Try to keep your workout from 40 min to 60 tops because of the cortisol thing..do sets of 15- 20 reps per muscle no more than 60 total...weigh yourself daily, you may have to tweek the calories..once you've reached the weight you want lower your reps to 8-10 per set.

No or little carbs at the end of the day. For me I find having my last meal at 4:00pm or 5 the latest to be a huge factor.

It may not seem like much but a 15 to 20 min walk after a meal does wonders.

BoutIt618
02-08-2012, 01:35 AM
thanks to everyone for the replies i truly appreciate the time and effort you put into the responses for someone you dont even know.

ill check back into this thread every once in a while and people can see how im doing, if they actually care.... lol

gonna have to accurately journal/monitor my intake and go from there.... i may be at a calorie defecit and be going into fat storage? either way im gonna figure it out

cmoore
02-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Not a long term solution really but if you need a psych boost this 1week trick has helped me from time to time over the years.

Train like a banshee through this.
Sunday - Friday cut out your carbs (keep the same total calories) and triple your water intake
Friday night -Saturday cut your water to the minimum and carbo load.
Train for pump (in tank) Saturday afternoon. If your body reacts like mine does, you'll be blown away at how good you look. Take pics and put em on the fridge (and anywhere else you need to) and get back to a dialed in and reasonable long term diet plan again knowing you'll get that look in time and permanently.

HTH. Ymmv.