PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advise on what to buy knee wraps or kneew brace ?

adrian2pm
02-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Hello, i am about to replace my old knee compression that i got from walmart and i saw a knee brace for 19.99. Is knee brace good protection while doing squats or knee wraps?

thanks

hardNheavy2011
02-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I've never used a brace, but I find wraps very helpful. I think wraps protect better provided you wrap the knees correctly.

adrian2pm
02-06-2012, 02:01 PM
I've never used a brace, but I find wraps very helpful. I think wraps protect better provided you wrap the knees correctly.

thanks. so if i wrap my knees wrong there is potential i could be damaging my knees

hlydon
02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Without knowing more about your medical history or lifting style, stats, etc., I say do not use knee braces or wraps for your regular workouts. As long as your knees are sufficiently warm and loose, you shouldn't need braces or wraps. With that said, if you are power lifting or attempting a one rep max, you might want to err on the side of caution and use them as a "just in case" safety device, but don't let them become crutches.

adrian2pm
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Without knowing more about your medical history or lifting style, stats, etc., I say do not use knee braces or wraps for your regular workouts. As long as your knees are sufficiently warm and loose, you shouldn't need braces or wraps. With that said, if you are power lifting or attempting a one rep max, you might want to err on the side of caution and use them as a "just in case" safety device, but don't let them become crutches.

even just to prevent or protect my knees during workout? im scared of doing squat without something holding my knees i have never wo in my life just started 4months ago

DocTats
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Definitely don't use wraps then. I use a knee sleeve which is just a neoprene band. Doesn't give too much support or add poundages to your squat but it keeps the joints warm and gives me a secure feeling. I use Tommy Kono Knee Sleeves, apparently Rehbands are even better but you need to get the "original" blue kind and the newer kind seem to be hit or miss. The ones sold at sporting good stores (like McDavid) pale in comparison, my knees are sweating like crazy with the Kono sleeves

adrian2pm
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Definitely don't use wraps then. I use a knee sleeve which is just a neoprene band. Doesn't give too much support or add poundages to your squat but it keeps the joints warm and gives me a secure feeling. I use Tommy Kono Knee Sleeves, apparently Rehbands are even better but you need to get the "original" blue kind and the newer kind seem to be hit or miss. The ones sold at sporting good stores (like McDavid) pale in comparison, my knees are sweating like crazy with the Kono sleeves

thanks man..ill head to sportsauthority in the am tomorrow

DocTats
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
thanks man..ill head to sportsauthority in the am tomorrow

You're welcome but the good knee sleeves won't be available at Sports Authority (I've found in general that weightlifting and fitness stuff you buy at these sporting good stores are generally mediocre and have to resort to buying online)

They have the Tommy Kono sleeves at this site

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tom/knee.html

Not sure about Rehbands, I think prowriststraps.com may have them but if I recall, you can only get the original ones from one distributor (and the original Rehbands are quite expensive and NOT sold in pairs)

edited to add...it's Jackal's gym

http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?cat_id=RH

-=FLEX=-
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM

x2

I use wraps for my heavy sets.

adrian2pm
02-06-2012, 05:11 PM
You're welcome but the good knee sleeves won't be available at Sports Authority (I've found in general that weightlifting and fitness stuff you buy at these sporting good stores are generally mediocre and have to resort to buying online)

They have the Tommy Kono sleeves at this site

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/tom/knee.html

Not sure about Rehbands, I think prowriststraps.com may have them but if I recall, you can only get the original ones from one distributor (and the original Rehbands are quite expensive and NOT sold in pairs)

edited to add...it's Jackal's gym

http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?cat_id=RH

really? dang..ok i live by fitness factory outlet i will check there

what would you recommend on the sizing? i weigh 150 lbs but i have skinny legs im working on getting some meat on it. is tighter the better?