PDA

View Full Version : Knees and Calves

Synfull
02-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I have 2 questions which I really hope you can help me with. Whenever I start training, after a long break, I always have problems with my knees and calves.

I do a bit of jogging, skipping and muay thai and I notice that my knees get really sore as well as my lower calves to the extent where I can't skip at all and even running is painful. Running is painful and, with skipping, I just don't have the strength in my calves to get 'back up' for the next skip.. If I don't do anything for a week or so then it does get better but it does eventually come back and, after about 2 months of this, it does improve to where I can run and skip as usual.

Now, my questions:

1) Is there any way to fix this such as working out calves twice a week at gym or anything like that?
2) Is there any way to speed up recovery so they can support my skipping/jogging sooner rather than later?

I usually do next to nothing in terms of exercise (walking from my car to the office and car to home and visa versa) and just getting back in to it all again now.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated and thanks in advance :)

DocTats
02-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm a pretty avid skipper bit don't run much anymore so can only put my 2/100th of a $ on the skipping part....

If you're skipping with correct technique, it should help strengthen rather than cause pain in the calf area. It's pretty low impact, even with double unders, so chances of skipping causing pain is slim (but don't overdo it). Running is way higher impact so maybe try skipping without running and see if your pain subsides. Then at least you know that the running is likely causing this. Won't help with the knees maybe but can do work on your anterior tibialis to help prevent shin splints (heel raises). Shameless self promotion:

rkkmUr2CxvQ
eON4-Z8HRVw

Synfull
02-07-2012, 12:05 AM
I'm a pretty avid skipper bit don't run much anymore so can only put my 2/100th of a $ on the skipping part....

If you're skipping with correct technique, it should help strengthen rather than cause pain in the calf area. It's pretty low impact, even with double unders, so chances of skipping causing pain is slim (but don't overdo it). Running is way higher impact so maybe try skipping without running and see if your pain subsides. Then at least you know that the running is likely causing this. Won't help with the knees maybe but can do work on your anterior tibialis to help prevent shin splints (heel raises). Shameless self promotion:

rkkmUr2CxvQ
eON4-Z8HRVw

LOL, thanks DocTats :)

I don't really feel any pain with the skipping side of things, it's more like I just have absolutely no strength in getting back up after I land, as if my calves have been overworked and just don't have the strength to hop me back up there. Running does cause pain so maybe that is the culprit. I still need to strengthen my knees(?) and get back to a stage where I can run as it's an important aspect of my training.

Thanks for the advice though and the shameless self promotion :)