PDA

View Full Version : Gain muscle at 56 years old?

Dirk57
02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
I have looked at most of the threads and really did not find anything on how hard it is to gain muscle at 56 years old. My profile pic is from about 10 years ago. I got into shape after my divorce. I have not quit working out completely but have not worked out as hard as I should.

Now I am going to start hitting it hard again and so the question is “Can I still gain muscle at 56 years old”. Are there any special supplements that I made need to take. I do take 100% whey protein.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jor012
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Yes it is more difficult as you get older. As far as supplements the big three are whey, glutamine and creatine..but there is another important factor. How far have you come with strength gains? If your not consistantly getting stronger you simply will not grow the muscle to meet the demand.

If your having trouble increasing the weight your lifting, you'll have to find a way to get past those plateaus.

To be more accurate, it's not an important factor...it's CRITICAL

(protein is 100% necessary..I think glutamine and creatine gives you that extra edge)

ljimd
02-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Good luck. You'll get back as much as you put in. Worry about a good diet - then take a look at supps.

Frnkd
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Im 56 and restarted seriously last year Sept. I can say yes, I gained muscle, but mostly the gains have been amplified as a result of my change in diet, I reduced my body fat from approx 28% to 18% with a goal of eventually hitting and staying at 12%. I had been working out prior but without a defined plan. My supplement is whey and recently started taking a pre-workout Assult with NO.
I have rigorously taken up swimming as my cardio so my upper body can be further developed.

robin4life
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
I think it is fully possible to gain muscle mass or should I say I know it is. I seen guys older then you starting to workout in late 50:s and compete a few years after.Maby you cant expect same results as younger guys but if you are genetically gifted you why not? Give you body nice hard workouts and plenty of nutrition and I am sure you will get results.

Dirk57
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I will keep everyone posted.

yakabebe
02-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I have looked at most of the threads and really did not find anything on how hard it is to gain muscle at 56 years old. My profile pic is from about 10 years ago. I got into shape after my divorce. I have not quit working out completely but have not worked out as hard as I should.

Now I am going to start hitting it hard again and so the question is “Can I still gain muscle at 56 years old”. Are there any special supplements that I made need to take. I do take 100% whey protein.

I think it is fully possible to gain muscle mass or should I say I know it is. I seen guys older then you starting to workout in late 50:s and compete a few years after.Maby you cant expect same results as younger guys but if you are genetically gifted you why not? Give you body nice hard workouts and plenty of nutrition and I am sure you will get results.

I started at 55 and provided you make "body building" - in the sense of shaping and building the body shape you aspire to - a top priority...then mass will be achieved.

If its something that you "play at" if you get my drift....then fugedaboudit!

Dutchman
02-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm 70 now but started to bulk back in 2000 as I returned to the US at age 59 when I weighed only 149 lbs. I am very happy with the size and strength that I have gained from training, diet, supplementation and dedication. The only limits are those you place on yourself. Personally I found that always having a goal to work towards gave me a way to organize my efforts and prevented me from slacking off with the old "well after all I am getting older excuse". Good luck and keep posting, the folks here can be a big help for you along the way.

HoustonTXMuscle
02-06-2012, 05:27 PM
There's so much good advice by ljimd, Frnkd, yakabebe, and Dutchman in their responses above that basically all that I can do is echo their responses. Personally, despite my scientific background, I refuse to accept the literature that tells us that adults over 40 lose 0.5 to 2 percent of muscle mass every year. It depends on so many variables that it's an over-generalization, applicable to those who no longer really care about their health, fitness and appearance and content to be couch potatoes existing on beer and junk food with the attitude that they can't do anything about it. One thing is true: it is a lot harder to gain muscle after 60 than it is at 30, but not impossible. However, with the right combination of proper nutrition, physical training, self-discipline and attitude (believing, staying positive and staying motivated), most individuals can continue to build muscle into your 60s and 70s. My glass isn't half-full, it's overflowing.

Tommy W.
02-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You just have to be smarter about your training and diet and especially recovery.

Frnkd
02-07-2012, 01:42 AM
This is what may be helpful, as it has been for me

"A Good Friend, A good Plan, A Good Attitude"

Here on bb.com are really good friends tha have been encouraging and inspirational. I've read their stories and seen their progress. "If they can do it so can I!" a good attitude. It has been hard work for me but great results come through hard work.

Good luck

liuzhoudragon
02-07-2012, 02:07 AM
still possible.

Jack Lalanne has book called fitness after 50, or something along those lines. Might be worth a read. If the man can do a few hundred push ups in his mid 90s I support his advice.

This site has a lot of good resources and I am seen multiple older men on the site with great results.

hochspeyer
02-07-2012, 04:04 AM
You just have to be smarter about your training and diet and especially recovery.

Recovery can be a big deal and can be discouraging, but once you figure out what works for you and how to schedule your training, you'll have more productive training.

MichaelCJ
02-07-2012, 04:09 AM
There's more than a couple of guys (and more than one woman, actually) over that age who regularly go to the same gym at more or less the same times as me - great people, incidentally; one of them pretty much taught me how to do two of the major lifts, for free, because I asked for a bit of help. :) Anyway, the point I was getting around to is that they're definitely stronger than they ever have been, and only getting stronger.

I don't know if there's a "cutoff date", wrt lifespan or what have you, but I know for sure it doesn't have to be 56. ;)

Dirk57
02-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of the good advice and inspiration. I think I can get back to looking like I did 10 years ago. I have not stopped completely working out just slacked off and I have not been pushing myself. Now that I know it can be done then I will start pushing myself again. Again thanks.

philipj
02-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I recently made a change in my weight exercises. How I got there is from a www.youtube.com looking up either Dr Doug Mcguff and/or Body by science. I have to say it is working for me.

rand18m
02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
All really great replies, there is plenty of literature showing that you can gain muscle mass and strength in your 9th and 10th decades. Learn all you can and get to it!!

Taichichuan
09-03-2013, 03:38 AM
Well Mr. Dirk57, Mr. Thread Starter you have bailed out from the thread. Once again the WEB sends me Bodybuilding.com for an answer to my elusive query.
Now I'm sure Bodybuilding.com must be Numero Uno.
I'll begin training October 1st. I thank all of you for the motivational replies. A very big help.

waynenh57
10-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Hello,

I'm 56 yrs old and just started working out again after a 25 yr layoff.
I have been working out since Aug. and started out at 240lbs and
down to 223lbs. I am 6'3" tall. I have changed my diet and go to the gym 3 times
a week about an hour at a time. I don't know the first thing about supplements
and was wondering if they would help me at my age and if so which ones
should I take.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne

Taichichuan
10-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Hello,

I'm 56 yrs old and just started working out again after a 25 yr layoff.
I have been working out since Aug. and started out at 240lbs and
down to 223lbs. I am 6'3" tall. I have changed my diet and go to the gym 3 times
a week about an hour at a time. I don't know the first thing about supplements
and was wondering if they would help me at my age and if so which ones
should I take.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne

Looks like we are in the same boat Wayne. Some have the desire to compete at our age and the others only want to get in shape to please their wives. I told a friend, "I'm going for the gusto", to relish every bit of youth out of my body before it fails on me. He said, "Their are many pitfalls trying to eke out that little bit glory" I told him, "Dave, I've got nothing to lose".

jbk62
10-12-2013, 04:46 AM

I started working out Oct 2011 Took a contracting job in Afghanistan I turn 51 this Nov .You will get what you put into it that means you need to hit the gym and also eat right, I hit the gym 5 days a week for 1 hour each day my cardio is a 2 mile bike ride to and from change your work out about every 3 months it keeps your body working. If you don't change up you wont see or feel a change also take pictures it will allow you to see your progress, other people see it but you might not. Most of all set goals short and long term get a doctor to look you over ,pay mind to your body old injurys come back to bother us if it hurts stop if its just sore get it done a work out partner is helpful .Last they have a 300 lb bench club here they give a shirt if you get it as of April 2013 was stuck at 225 lb maybe 6 times changed my program got my shirt in Sept 2013 I weigh in at 157 lb to be honest I didn't think I would get this before the end of the year .As I said you will get what you put into it good luck focus on you ,
pay no mind to the others we are all different what works for some might not for you find your own way .

JOHN GARGANI
10-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Well Mr. Dirk57, Mr. Thread Starter you have bailed out from the thread. Once again the WEB sends me Bodybuilding.com for an answer to my elusive query.
Now I'm sure Bodybuilding.com must be Numero Uno.
I'll begin training October 1st. I thank all of you for the motivational replies. A very big help.

since it was you that resurrected this thread, could you kindly tell me what you mean by the emboldened portion, It needs interpretation..lol