PDA

View Full Version : Frugal, Broke, you decide. New Member!

djfourmoney
02-05-2012, 08:14 PM
I have been looking to loose a few pounds (10-15lbs), gain a bit of mass but add a fair amount of definition.

Under the plans, I picked weight loss as goal and liked two of the four programs offered.

Here's the thing -

My income is limited and I can not really afford to join a gym in the short term and reach my 4-5 month goals. I possibly have a small budget and I do mean small to get some free weights. I like Lee's 12 Week Program because it involves cardio and some weight work. I like Julien's because its mostly about working with weights, including day 1 which is all body weight.

Some of the weight training involving the Smith Machine is concerning. I do not want to purchase a gym membership. As I said it interferes with my other goals, but I am willing to buy some free weights.

Can I still complete the recommended workout without a Smith Machine or Weight Bar? If so what would you suggest as a replacement?

Suggestions welcome, eating is not the issue, I don't eat that bad to start with and can eliminate all of the "bad" (6'0 3/4, 195lbs home scale).

Thanks

philipj
02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
24 Hour fitness is $325.00 @ month. Nearby compitators are even less, no contract required

jor012
02-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Planet fitness is as little as $10.00/mo..you'll spend more than $120.00 on very little equipment. Also you'll be limited in your routine from the little equipment you can afford..

Dirk57
02-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I am sure you will get a lot of help on here. Just let me tell you my story.

I weighed 250 and I am 6' 1" tall. I wore a size 38 pants. After my divorce I decided to do something about the way I looked. I didn't join a gym. I bought a cheap set of free weights and a cheap bench. I only used dumb bells. I picked out a routine and started slowly. I walked and ran to get the weight off. My profile pic is after about 1 year of working out. I dropped to a pant size of 34. I dropped all the way down to 195 and started putting on muscle. I got back up to 205. So it can be done without a gym. It is harder to stay motivated but it can work.

I am now 56 and trying to get back into working out again. Good luck.

jor012
02-06-2012, 08:15 AM

I weighed 250 and I am 6' 1" tall. I wore a size 38 pants. After my divorce I decided to do something about the way I looked. I didn't join a gym. I bought a cheap set of free weights and a cheap bench. I only used dumb bells. I picked out a routine and started slowly. I walked and ran to get the weight off. My profile pic is after about 1 year of working out. I dropped to a pant size of 34. I dropped all the way down to 195 and started putting on muscle. I got back up to 205. So it can be done without a gym. It is harder to stay motivated but it can work.

I am now 56 and trying to get back into working out again. Good luck.I'm not trying to sell Planet fit but 10/mo there is plenty of equipment for a noob. that's 120/year ..$120 can get you 100lbs cheapest set of adj dumbbells and no bench to use them with. If he's as broke as he says..10/mo is alot more affordable than 100..150..or 200 up front. As you mentioned there is the motivation factor.
plus they have a boat load of cardio equipment.

db_ggmm
02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
A home gym is an investment, but it requires a significant expenditure up front. You need and want a gym to meet your listed goals. Blowing your 120 on dumbbells will consume your funds for an entire year without any hope of expansion. Find a cheap gym.

ezra76
02-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Look around at gyms. In my are there are 2 (planet fitness and work out world) that are $10 a month. I go to gold's and even that is only $25 a month.

A home gym is expensive and not worth it for most people. Even is you just got the basics for what you want, a good bench, weights and a good piece of cardio equipment, you'd be spending about 10yrs. worth of one of those gym memberships.

jor012
02-06-2012, 08:55 AM
A home gym is an investment, but it requires a significant expenditure up front. You need and want a gym to meet your listed goals. Blowing your 120 on dumbbells will consume your funds for an entire year without any hope of expansion. Find a cheap gym.Tell me about it..I just sunk 3 grand into updating my home gym..As much as I've rationalised it and I'm happy with..that cheapskate in my dna is beating me up over it..LOL

Kreitzm
02-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Look around at gyms. In my are there are 2 (planet fitness and work out world) that are $10 a month. I go to gold's and even that is only $25 a month.

A home gym is expensive and not worth it for most people. Even is you just got the basics for what you want, a good bench, weights and a good piece of cardio equipment, you'd be spending about 10yrs. worth of one of those gym memberships.

I think a home gym is a great investment. I paid $1500 for my set up about 18 years ago and I still use it 5-6 days a week. Plus, there is a value to be added for a convenience factor. I workout early, at about 4 am, and no gym anywhere around me is open at that time. Plus, I don't have to drive anywhere or get ready to go anywhere. I have changed my workout times over the years, but it has always been great being able to do it when I wanted to. Also, I don't have to worry about a piece being available for use because I am the only person using it, never have to try to work in. I know there are a lot of people that are happy with their gym membership, but a home gym is better IMO, but only if you are consistent and get your use out of it. Plus, you could always sell the stuff later.

otiskii
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I've got to agree, dj. And I have a home a gym. $10 a month would be a lot easier for 5 months than what you would get for $50 outlay the first month. Now, if you live in northern Alaska where you need a bush plane to get to the gym it might not work for you but in any town you should be able to find a place to workout. For 10-15 a month you can find somewhere that you can use the hell out of 10s of thousands worth of equipment. Once you get your finances in order you can consider a home set up which for most of us is a power rack, adjustable bench and weights. You'd be looking at $500-5000 up front for that. Even just powerblocks (I never see these used) and a bench would be around $1000.

And just so you know, I'm frugal (that's polite) and/or cheap. When I get one of those bills that somebody used a red marker on and my wife sees it she says "making the money cry again, huh?" But I do like to own quality when I turn loose of the money.

BrotherWolf
02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
If you're on a limited income find a YMCA

ezra76
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I think a home gym is a great investment. I paid $1500 for my set up about 18 years ago and I still use it 5-6 days a week. Plus, there is a value to be added for a convenience factor. I workout early, at about 4 am, and no gym anywhere around me is open at that time. Plus, I don't have to drive anywhere or get ready to go anywhere. I have changed my workout times over the years, but it has always been great being able to do it when I wanted to. Also, I don't have to worry about a piece being available for use because I am the only person using it, never have to try to work in. I know there are a lot of people that are happy with their gym membership, but a home gym is better IMO, but only if you are consistent and get your use out of it. Plus, you could always sell the stuff later.

Always an exception of course. I'm a furniture mover and I'd say less than 10% of people actively use the exercise equipment they have. Most of the time it's a $1000 treadmill being used as a drying rack for clothes. The good part is I end up getting a lot of this stuff off them, then sell it. Last month I got a 300lb. olympic set with a bench/squat rack combo deal. I don't think it really got used at all. The pins where you rest the bar had not a scratch on them. I was going to try to get $350-$400 for all of it but decided to keep it since we have a baby on the way and my gym time is going to get cut into considerably I'd imagine.

I like the gym better myself. There is a lot more variety and the quality of the equipment is better than I could afford to buy for a home setup.

Balan7777
02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Workout at home. The membership is free!

Jump on ebay or go to your local pawn shop and pick up a couple of second-hand dumbells & a barbell (there's always people getting rid of equipment). Only buy a combination of weight plates you need to start with.

As you build up & lift heaver, buy more weights as required.

Once you get into it, pick up a second-hand bench & keep going.

By doing this, your costs are less and also spread out over time.

Something else which may be handy, is get on Youtube & watch a couple of Greg Plitt's promo videos for working out without equipment. Gives you a good idea of what exercises you can do with items around the house without having to pay for his site membership (sorry Greg...).
Happy lifting!

(BTW squats & deadlifts should adequately replace a smith machine...)

Wildtim
02-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Even if you are planning on getting a home gym set-up doing it frugally will take time. You would be buying used and if you want quality used equipment cheap you have to be patient, not wait for tomorrow patient but keep looking and waiting for months. In the meantime a $100 per month no commitment gym would be a great place to get started and it would narrow your shopping list to just the things you actually use not the stuff you think you might use.

RogerAgness
02-06-2012, 08:30 PM
You decide: Planet Fitness is only $10/month. The Orlando Y(MCA) is $75/month.

Those stretchy exercise bands are cheap. Pick up a couple of books at the library for how-to tips.

Also, just plain old walking is a great way to start. You'll work up to running soon enough.

hochspeyer
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
You don't need to buy equipment to start training. Do what the Planet Fitness commercials say that mock folk who lift weights: I pick thing up, and put them down. While you're deciding between options, find some heavy stuff. I just started doing farmer's walks, and my equipment is a couple pails of driveway salt. They weigh 50lbs each. There's probably a ton of stuff right within your field of vision right now that's heavy. If you need more weight, go to the library and check out some books. Maybe find some buildings that you can walk up stairways. You can be creative at this and not spend much money at all. Best of luck in your endeavors!

BloodySalad
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
+1 for home gym. I have the opportunity to use a local gym but every time I go to sign up, I think about it and for me personally, the negatives outweigh the positives.

Bench, barbell and dumbells should be your initial outlay. Second hand gear is fine and let's face it, you don't buy weights because they look pretty.
After a couple of weeks, invest in some squat catchers or a rack. Again, as long as it's solid, second hand is good.
Workout-wise, go with this to begin with: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 or this: forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224
Don't overcomplicate things when you start out. I think those two programs are simpler than Lee Hayward's 12 week plan and are much more suited to a beginner. At an early stage, you don't need isolation exercises - look to improve your core and go for compound exercises that work the big muscle groups. Concentrate on building strength and getting form right.
For cardio, there's nothing wrong with running outdoors. It's cheap, simple and will burn the calories.

Put one of those weight programs, the cardio and proper nutrition together and you should notice a big difference in a couple of months.

otiskii
02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Some of you guys don't seem to be reading what he's saying. Small budget. Very small. No amount given though. If he doesn't have $10 a month to join a gym I don't see how he's going to build a home gym for $10 on day 1. Plus, one post and he hasn't been back.

djfourmoney
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
24 Hour fitness is $325.00 @ month. Nearby compitators are even less, no contract required

Too expensive and I am not going to be in the country to use it much.

Planet fitness is as little as $10.00/mo..you'll spend more than $120.00 on very little equipment. Also you'll be limited in your routine from the little equipment you can afford..

Closest location is in Orange County. I live in the San Fernando Valley (818) and don't drive currently.

I am now 56 and trying to get back into working out again. Good luck.

Thanks for the inspiration!

I can walk back and forth not an issue, unemployed so time is a bit of a luxury but I don't want to walk for miles.... I donate Plasma for money (along with some other things) and that trip is 2.2 miles one way. I've walked it before, in fact several times since MTA changed the bus schedule. Not an issue to do it all the time (when its not raining of course).

I've got to agree, dj. And I have a home a gym. $10 a month would be a lot easier for 5 months than what you would get for $50 outlay the first month. Now, if you live in northern Alaska where you need a bush plane to get to the gym it might not work for you but in any town you should be able to find a place to workout. For 10-15 a month you can find somewhere that you can use the hell out of 10s of thousands worth of equipment. Once you get your finances in order you can consider a home set up which for most of us is a power rack, adjustable bench and weights. You'd be looking at $500-5000 up front for that. Even just powerblocks (I never see these used) and a bench would be around $1000.

And just so you know, I'm frugal (that's polite) and/or cheap. When I get one of those bills that somebody used a red marker on and my wife sees it she says "making the money cry again, huh?" But I do like to own quality when I turn loose of the money.

Thanks for the advice. YMCA is down the street, I am going to see how much it runs.

If you're on a limited income find a YMCA

I was considering this, depends on price, sorry to say even $50 a month is a bit too much but they have programs to help you afford it. I'll know tomorrow.

Workout at home. The membership is free!

Jump on ebay or go to your local pawn shop and pick up a couple of second-hand dumbells & a barbell (there's always people getting rid of equipment). Only buy a combination of weight plates you need to start with.

As you build up & lift heaver, buy more weights as required.

Once you get into it, pick up a second-hand bench & keep going.

By doing this, your costs are less and also spread out over time.

Something else which may be handy, is get on Youtube & watch a couple of Greg Plitt's promo videos for working out without equipment. Gives you a good idea of what exercises you can do with items around the house without having to pay for his site membership (sorry Greg...).
Happy lifting!

(BTW squats & deadlifts should adequately replace a smith machine...)

Thanks I saw some of Greg's videos and some of the Ghetto workout stuff, but honestly I can barely do 10 push ups with my own body weight, that's how bad it is now. I know you have to start somewhere, but I think working with weights to get enough strength to push/pull my own body weight is the direction I wanna go.

I saw the article on the 5 things you should do and not use a Smith Machine. Requires a bar/weight for one or two of the exercises we'll see what YMCA has to offer.

You decide: Planet Fitness is only $10/month. The Orlando Y(MCA) is $75/month.

Those stretchy exercise bands are cheap. Pick up a couple of books at the library for how-to tips.

Also, just plain old walking is a great way to start. You'll work up to running soon enough.

No bands, I can walk for several miles without a rest. I got lost in Sweden once walked myself about 8 miles outside of Downtown Stockholm to avoid a 10K race... Running is a good idea, I would need better shoes though, I have more casual K-Swiss (several pair) not really made for running.

I can do all of Lee's diet without too many substitutes, drink juice and water and I should be fine. I don't drink coffee, drink or smoke.

I just wanna be ready when I need to "put it down" and make the best first impression possible.

Thanks for the info, I will keep you posted.

pvsampson
02-07-2012, 10:25 PM
I started with some cinder blocks on a sturdy broom handle,and a board with some towels on cinder blocks for a bench.I let my acquaintances know that I was looking for cheap gear,and I ended up getting most of it for free.Most of my weight is plastic/cement,but I have 220lb and didn't pay one cent for them,and have 70lb of steel in 5kg max size and also free.Keep your eyes open,ask around and think "that looks heavy"

oaw01
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
You don't need weights to start out. Use your body weight. Push ups, pull ups, chair dips, burpees - check out bodyrock.tv or torrent Insanity.
Personally, when I got back to working out I only did push ups, pull ups, and did Insanity for cardio.

djfourmoney
02-08-2012, 01:09 AM
I started with some cinder blocks on a sturdy broom handle,and a board with some towels on cinder blocks for a bench.I let my acquaintances know that I was looking for cheap gear,and I ended up getting most of it for free.Most of my weight is plastic/cement,but I have 220lb and didn't pay one cent for them,and have 70lb of steel in 5kg max size and also free.Keep your eyes open,ask around and think "that looks heavy"

Great, I haven't started looking at Craigslist yet or Garage Sales but I'll keep a lookout.

You don't need weights to start out. Use your body weight. Push ups, pull ups, chair dips, burpees - check out bodyrock.tv or torrent Insanity.
Personally, when I got back to working out I only did push ups, pull ups, and did Insanity for cardio.

Last time I tried to do a push ups (just tied) I can do about 12-13, but also concerned about my wrist (bad technique?), not sure how many reps I should do and all that, open to just about anything.

We have a bike and a stepper machine here at the house, I thought about using the stepper for leg work on off-days (between weights).

Thanks for the advice and I'll find out more about the YMCA tomorrow.

jor012
02-08-2012, 07:18 AM
"Closest location is in Orange County. I live in the San Fernando Valley (818) and don't drive currently."

Planet fitness was used as an example. I'm sure you can find something close to you that is affordable.

djfourmoney
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
"Closest location is in Orange County. I live in the San Fernando Valley (818) and don't drive currently."

Planet fitness was used as an example. I'm sure you can find something close to you that is affordable.

Not sure what the discount is yet, but $100 to join and $42 a month. When I qualify for the discount, it should be much less. I can handle it, the joining fee is the bugaboo.

DocTats
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Not sure what the discount is yet, but $100 to join and $42 a month. When I qualify for the discount, it should be much less. I can handle it, the joining fee is the bugaboo.

You can try to negotiate membership due, at least try to get them to waive the initiation fees. Now that it's Feb and the resolutioners have already gone back to their merry ways, gyms may be more willing to negotiate.

He's not a bodybuilder (although he was able to deadlift 495 lbs without much training on it http://rosstraining.com/blog/2007/10/22/sht-hits-the-fan/ ) but if you want to get in shape, he has a lot of innovative ideas for homemade equipment and workout tips for those with limited resources.

http://rosstraining.com/blog/

jor012
02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Not sure what the discount is yet, but $100 to join and $42 a month. When I qualify for the discount, it should be much less. I can handle it, the joining fee is the bugaboo.I'm glad you decided to go with the gym as opposed to a very limited amount of start up equipment at home..If you went with home equipment it wouldn't be long before you'll need this that and the other. Good luck

djfourmoney
02-08-2012, 05:32 PM
You can try to negotiate membership due, at least try to get them to waive the initiation fees. Now that it's Feb and the resolutioners have already gone back to their merry ways, gyms may be more willing to negotiate.

He's not a bodybuilder (although he was able to deadlift 495 lbs without much training on it (snip the URL) but if you want to get in shape, he has a lot of innovative ideas for homemade equipment and workout tips for those with limited resources.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I'm glad you decided to go with the gym as opposed to a very limited amount of start up equipment at home..If you went with home equipment it wouldn't be long before you'll need this that and the other. Good luck

Yeah though I am looking at BodyRock.tv as well. But I think Lee Labrada's looks like the easiest for me to follow especially the diet part.

I have a question, what do you recommend for the protein shake before and after the workout? Also he said I should eat within an hour of my workout. It takes 30 mins or so to walk back to the house. I can take a bus however and shorten that to about 5-7 mins. It will take about a day or so to have pre-made, ready to heat and eat meals. Anyway I am just trying to follow it to the letter, results will happen.

This is important because I am really pinching pennies here.

jor012
02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
I have a question, what do you recommend for the protein shake before and after the workout? Also he said I should eat within an hour of my workout. It takes 30 mins or so to walk back to the house. I can take a bus however and shorten that to about 5-7 mins. It will take about a day or so to have pre-made, ready to heat and eat meals. Anyway I am just trying to follow it to the letter, results will happen.whey protein is good, inexpensive from walmart...I have a shake right after workout the rest I take through out the day..

That 30 min walk is the end of your workout as far as I'm concerned

djfourmoney
02-08-2012, 06:33 PM
whey protein is good, inexpensive from walmart...I have a shake right after workout the rest I take through out the day..

That 30 min walk is the end of your workout as far as I'm concerned

Well that first week or two is going to be tough I know it, burned up from working out, I should have enough energy to walk... lol

Would you consider the walk too the cardio as well before the workout? I didn't break an obvious sweat but when I was waiting to be helped, I felt a little coolness on my brow, around my neck, etc.

pharmamarketer
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Golds Gym is always running a deal. I pay $10 a month no sign up fee and month to month

djfourmoney
02-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Golds Gym is always running a deal. I pay $10 a month no sign up fee and month to month

That must be only in your area. I called Gold's and they said that maybe $10 every other week but not $10 a month in the LA (Los Angeles) area.

I have some questions about Lee Labrada's program -

For breakfast, to have Muesli, Egg Whites (Egg Beaters) and Coffee. Okay fine I can do that, I don't drink coffee so I will replace that with Cranberry Juice, Orange Juice or Apple Juice.

The between meals are made of fruit, a nutrition bar or his RTD shakes. The shakes (or similar) run about $3 for four. That will get expensive in a hurry. I get $200 in EBT (Food Stamps). I bought some juices (Apple, Cranberry, etc) and that's it thus far.

What are some acceptable between meal (meals) replacements? I saw Six Star Thread and though about picking up the whey for $18. Mixing a shake would replace the Labrada RTD's right (Ready To Drink)?

Here's what I think my plan will look like -

Wake Up, eat some Eggs, Muesli or Oatmeal with a glass (16oz) of Juice. Wait about two-three hours, make a whey shake for my before workout (it takes about 30 mins to walk to the YMCA from my house). I believe this would cover both my cardio (1.9 Miles) and drink the shake while on my way.

After my workout, I was thinking about Gatorade on my way back to the house (another 30 min walk) or do you think I would be too sore to walk back (especially on a day I do legs?). I think I can make it roughly 1/4 of a mile to the bus stop if that's the case.

Once I get home, I can have another shake or bar, yogurt, whatever (not quite sure yet) (within 45 mins of workout) and then lunch (Chicken, Turkey Burger, Tuna Sandwich or Salad).

A few hours later I would drink another shake and finally dinner. I've read some things I can take before going to bed (to get 8 hours of rest right about Midnight/1am), what are some affordable suggestions?

I am planning to start on Monday. (Tues and then Wed off)

I should have a glass of water about how many times? I was thinking with lunch most days. Maybe one after waking up and another before going to bed. Also during my workout since its cheaper than Gatorade or any of that.

Are these all good ideas? I just want to get my diet right as doing the actual work won't be much of an issue I don't think. Sore yes, but not too hard at least.

djfourmoney
02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
That must be only in your area. I called Gold's and they said that maybe $10 every other week but not $10 a month in the LA (Los Angeles) area.

I have some questions about Lee Labrada's program -

For breakfast, to have Muesli, Egg Whites (Egg Beaters) and Coffee. Okay fine I can do that, I don't drink coffee so I will replace that with Cranberry Juice, Orange Juice or Apple Juice.

The between meals are made of fruit, a nutrition bar or his RTD shakes. The shakes (or similar) run about $3 for four. That will get expensive in a hurry. I get $200 in EBT (Food Stamps). I bought some juices (Apple, Cranberry, etc) and that's it thus far.

What are some acceptable between meal (meals) replacements? I saw Six Star Thread and though about picking up the whey for $18. Mixing a shake would replace the Labrada RTD's right (Ready To Drink)?

Here's what I think my plan will look like -

Wake Up, eat some Eggs, Muesli or Oatmeal with a glass (16oz) of Juice. Wait about two-three hours, make a whey shake for my before workout (it takes about 30 mins to walk to the YMCA from my house). I believe this would cover both my cardio (1.9 Miles) and drink the shake while on my way.

After my workout, I was thinking about Gatorade on my way back to the house (another 30 min walk) or do you think I would be too soar to walk back (especially on a day I do legs?). I think I can make it roughly 1/4 of a mile to the bus stop if that's the case.

Once I get home, I can have another shake or bar, yogurt, whatever (not quite sure yet) (within 45 mins of workout) and then lunch (Chicken, Turkey Burger, Tuna Sandwich or Salad).

A few hours later I would drink another shake and finally dinner. I've read some things I can take before going to bed (to get 8 hours of rest right about Midnight/1am), what are some affordable suggestions?

I am planning to start on Monday. (Tues and then Wed off)

I should have a glass of water about how many times? I was thinking with lunch most days. Maybe one after waking up and another before going to bed. Also during my workout since its cheaper than Gatorade or any of that.

Are these all good ideas? I just want to get my diet right as doing the actual work won't be much of an issue I don't think. Soar yes, but not too hard at least.

Bump, I need this info please. I want to start tomorrow with my remaining free days at the Y and if I can't get help then Gold's has offered me $1 joining fee and $9.99 every other week (bi-weekly) however its 13 miles away and by bus that takes over an hour so I would have to change some things. I just can't afford to pay the regular Y fees and I have to furnish proof, which means visiting the DSS office tomorrow.

In the meantime I wanted to get started, by my first rest day I will know if I can keep going to the Y or switch to another gym.

djfourmoney
02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Well I started today, thus far I have eaten 1036 Calories of Food (plus one RTD) and burned roughly 975 Calories. I still have one Shake or RTD + Dinner to eat and I doubt I will break 1,500, we shall see.

Edit: with Dinner Cals ring in at 1,759, Total Fat 45g, Carbs@242.96 and Protein@106.14.

Based on my weight, 2,004 Calories but my intake must be higher than that, maybe 2,300, so that is at least 300 Calorie deficient. When you factor in what the workout and the 2.6 Mile total walk (decent pace)/1 hour total (900+) that's about 1200 Calories burnt.

I haven't even started to actually eat dinner, I am not that hungry...

Breakfast was 421 Calories, Lunch was 475. My mid-morning/early afternoon was RTD + 1 package of Apple Slices + 16oz of Water. I am not quite sure what's for dinner yet. I worked on my back and biceps and my arms are sore :). I did more reps than suggested because I wanted to find out how much weight I could use to do each task. On the next trip around I have a better idea, I should add more weight and be fine to go to complete failure on the 3rd set.

Like I said and I know its one day but this is not hard to follow and I have always been good at following directions and very task oriented. I have one more free day and depending on how much I end up getting charged at the Y I might have to opt for Gold's at $19.98 a month and $1 joining fee. But I have to ride the bus. That said I can still walk from the Redline station to Gold's, takes about 30 mins (1.8 Miles) and would cover the cardio.

derrick12kill
02-14-2012, 06:55 AM
I vote dump the gym, put your money into your nutrition. With time on your hands study the foods that nourish our bodies. The last thing you want to happen is to get sick and build Dr. Bills. The home gym is always open when you need it.

djfourmoney
02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I vote dump the gym, put your money into your nutrition. With time on your hands study the foods that nourish our bodies. The last thing you want to happen is to get sick and build Dr. Bills. The home gym is always open when you need it.

I have what 25 Million (or so) have which is no health insurance at all. I don't even qualify for Medicaid and don't bring up Free Clinics, I can't go.

Second, I am studying. I have read Lee Labrada 12 Week Challange/Plan and also have another book about nutrition.

Third, I haven't found an affordable weight set, bench and really have no place to put one of those door mounted pull up bars either. I can handle $20 a month, just not much more than that.

Finally, what is wrong with following Lee's plan and why would I need to visit a doctor? I've had a check-up already, blood tested. I had to do this to donate Plasma. I am eating what I basically always eat but without the condiments and less of it. I usually ate about 2 servings of everything even veggies. Ground Beef is always lean. My weight has been around the same since I was about 30 (between 190-195-200lbs). As I said earlier when I donate plasma I am right around 204lbs (clothes, shoes and recently eaten).

I don't see any issue here accept you saying unless I can afford $40 a month and $100 joining fee I should be working out@home.

cthulhupun
02-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm surprised no one has suggested a sandbag. You can pick up a good duffel-bag at your local Army Surplus store (I suggest the size smaller than standard issue). Directions can be found online. You can add a door-mount pull-up bar for $10 (I prefer the screw-in type as they are more stable and cheaper).

djfourmoney
02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm surprised no one has suggested a sandbag. You can pick up a good duffel-bag at your local Army Surplus store (I suggest the size smaller than standard issue). Directions can be found online. You can add a door-mount pull-up bar for $10 (I prefer the screw-in type as they are more stable and cheaper).

Yeah I saw that on bodyrock.tv, I may opt for that. I haven't started to pay anybody yet. The problem with door mounts is where to put it without crashing my elbows into something (or my head).

I got my numbers from the Y, still $100 to join, but monthly is reduced to $25 instead of $42. I may opt for Gold's, $1 to join and $9.99 every two weeks. I have to make this decision tonight basically so can still get in my last day before my final rest day of the week and then start back over for week two.

To get my cardio, I can walk from the Redline station to Gold's, its 1.8 miles just like walking from my house to the Y. I think soreness won't be much of an issue after week two and I can ride the bike at the gym on days I do my legs, so if my legs are beat up, I only have to walk 1 block to the bus stop.

I almost forgot about getting a bag from the Army Surplus store, there's one right down the street.

djfourmoney
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Just a slight update, after one week, results are noticeable. I haven't followed the diet to a tee because as I said I didn't need to make a ton of adjustments. I don't drink, I don't smoke and eat chicken at least 3-4 times a week anyway. I also like hamburgers but I think I found a way to have one without impacting too much.

I recently had a turkey burger from Carl's Jr. (490 Calories) and I didn't miss the beef taste very much it was very close. I made one at home using some Jenny O turkey patties (90 Calories) so with one serving (or less) of mustard, ketchup, thousand island dressing and sliced pill pickles. All on whole wheat bun for about 400 Calories and a Cup of Veggies for about 450-460 Calories or so.

I also donate plasma twice a week, so my protein intake needs to be slightly higher on those days to keep recovery time to less than 24 hours. I got my donation, I think 880cc's (full bottle) down to 5 cycles and 47 Mins. :) I had (3) Del Taco Chicken tacos with just cheese and sauce and finished my G2 Gatorade before I donated (45-55 mins before hitting the chair).

The high sodium however means I need to drink even more water if I choose to eat fast food, the extra time was used to replenish fluids (saline). I know some people that got it down to 5 cycles and 30 mins or so.

Anyway, I started at 205 on their scale at my heaviest. With shoes on, either after a workout or haven't eaten -200lbs and without any shoes on - 195lbs, after a bowel movement - as light as 193.5, but usually 194.5-195.

I should add I started cutting calories two days before starting the workout plan. I had two roast beef subway sandwiches over two days, always eat breakfast, but skipped dinner I think it was Saturday. Total intake (I tracked) 1600 Calories. According to the CDC, maintenance @200lbs is just over 2,000 Calories (2040). To get down to my I guess target of 180lbs, CDC says it will take until mid-June and an intake of about 1,800 Calories.

Of course this is a 12 week program and I am slimming down already, the inches are more important than weight lost, after all only have 15lbs to go...

I will not be constantly updating this since dramatic gains and loses are not until about half way through this program or Week 6. I expect to be 190lbs by then.

I do have one or two questions -

(1) On my days off, instead of pure cardio, can I also add in 30-40 crunches with the swiss ball? I did this on Monday on my day off from the gym.

(2) Should I really look at the supplements as suggested in the plan? Should I also really drink a shake ASAP after my workout with some thing like a banana? I don't like banana's much and no way to do that without being at home. It takes 50 or so mins to get home via transit from Gold's.

The past two days I have eaten (lunch) as soon as I was done or within an hour of working out.

Balan7777
02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey, Look up "Hannibal for King" on the Youtube. He's got a few videos of working just using bodyweight. You might be able to get a few bodyweight exercises from there (which will cost nothing).

Naso a well known local bodybuilder here in Oz has just started a bodyweight exercise routine & he should have a video up soon too.

Keep going!

djfourmoney
02-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks, Gold's is really only going to cost me about two months. I don't pay for Feb, but I pay for March ($34) and at least part of April if not all ($17.99). I should be done with the 12 week program by mid April and reached all my goals - (180lbs from 200lbs and change, bench 200lbs including bar so about 170lbs in actual weight, flat stomach, decent set of abs and body fat in the low teens)

I started Week 2 this week... But thanks for the suggestions. Long term I may consider low cost bag, pull-up bar and dip bar setups to keep in shape until I know if I want to pack on my bulk. All I know is that I don't want to be Lee Haney or anything...