PDA

View Full Version : Got tired of being old, weak and fat...

SleeperService
02-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi everyone, after a couple of months of lurking I thought I'd join up. I really appreciate some of the training advice and motivation given by the board members. It's certainly helped me get started.

Anyway... During 2006 and 2007 I was ill and ended up spending about 15 months lying on the floor doing nothing but eating and feeling generally awful. I had an operation in 2007 which helped out and spent the next year or so recovering. Fast forward to the end of 2009 and I was a 41 year old man weighing 245 pounds (111 kg) of pure fat. Then one day I looked in the mirror and thought "This just isn't me any more" - I'd always been quite fit you see, playing rugby and doing the training that goes with that sport. I joined a gym in early 2010 and spent a year or so losing a bit of weight and doing some upper body work. This carried on into 2011 and by October 2011 I was down to 208 pounds (95 kg) at 12% body fat.

But I wanted more. I wanted to be strong as well as fit.

So I started to lurk on this forum and look at the programmes available. I settled on a variation of Strong Lifts - work sets of 3x5 (except deads which are 1x5) with five ramped warm up sets (bar only x2, 40%, 60% and 80% of work load). Things have gone well and I feel I've made progress. My current lifts are:

Bench - 84 kg x 3 x 5
Row - 79 kg x 3 x 5
Overhead Press - 56.5 kg x 3 x 5
Squat - 95 kg x 3 x 5
Deadlift - 130 kg x 1 x 5

My legs have gone up slower than my top half partly because I had done some upper body work but no lower body stuff and partly because I had a hamstring injury that kept me out of legs weights for three weeks.

So that's where I am. The problem is that I'm not sure where to go from here. My intention is to push on with the novice programme for a bit (I'm down to kilo increases on the upper body stuff now) and then switch to an intermediate programme but that's where I hit the block. Which one? I'm not interested in competition building because I just don't have the body type for it but I would like to be bigger and stronger. I've heard Madcow 5 x 5 is a logical next step but would really appreciate some advice here.

Hopefully I've not put you all to sleep with my long winded introduction and would really any appreciate any hints or tips you guys and girls can give me.

Cheers!

chodan9
02-05-2012, 01:40 PM
welcome and good on you for a strong beginning!
good luck!

ironwill2008
02-05-2012, 02:13 PM
..I'm not sure where to go from here.....

........ I would like to be bigger and stronger.

While size and strength aren't completely mutually exclusive, it's better and a more efficient way to train if you pick as your goal one or the other.

Stick with Stronglifts until you've wrung every possible bit of progress out of it, then take a week completely off of training, and choose your poison:

An excellent intermediate strength program (you'll see some size increase as well):

*Starr/Madcow Int.: http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

An excellent 3-way split (primarily for mass gain, although you'll also see strength increase):

*Tom Mutaffis 3-Way Split http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120309781

OZBB
02-05-2012, 05:10 PM
You started at the same age I did... stick with it and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.... good luck .

OZBB

pvsampson
02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
^^^^^This.

SleeperService
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
While size and strength aren't completely mutually exclusive, it's better and a more efficient way to train if you pick as your goal one or the other.

I agree. As my initial goal was to get stronger I think I'll go with Starr/Madcow once I've exhausted SL as suggested.

Thanks for the advice and welcome, guys.

philipj
02-06-2012, 06:03 AM
With reference to getting stronger go to you tube and look up Body by Science. I do not follow their idea of once a week,s but do only do that on friday as my last portion of the work out. It has made a difference.