PDA

View Full Version : training around smashed finger? pic

polishedball
02-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Today I had the joy of 300#'s come down on the tip of my finger. It wasn't in the weight room.
Has anyone trained with similar injury. I cant squeeze a bar, luckily it is my little finger do you try to grip without using it? Any idea on healing recovery, looks as if the nail is gonna fall off. Thinking straps will help with back rows etc. Just looking to see who else has been here. thanks

http://www.home.comcast.net/~polishedball/fin.jpg

ironwill2008
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
No personal experience with a crushing injury, but you might want to get that looked at. Possible infection risk, etc.

Good luck.

CardinalRB34
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
agreed. see ur doctor. If you have a problem with gripping - you could try versa grips or hooks for your pulling. Mostly machines for your pressing - shouldn't be an issue either. and you can still train the sh!t out of your legs!!

flat6nut
02-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Couple months ago i had my middle finger tip ripped to the bone. 17 stiches. I could not train for two weeks at all. Just now getting my grip back...and the nail is almost ready to come off. The pinky might not be needed for gripping as much, but it will weakin you alot.

I am sure you had that looked at. Bone is prolly broken.

reluctantcardio
02-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Couple months ago i had my middle finger tip ripped to the bone. 17 stiches. I could not train for two weeks at all. Just now getting my grip back...and the nail is almost ready to come off. The pinky might not be needed for gripping as much, but it will weakin you alot.

I am sure you had that looked at. Bone is prolly broken.

In early September, I had my right index fingertip cut at work that took 15 stitches, had an open fracture, and they took off what part of the nail that was still on there. After a couple of weeks of being heavily medicated, I returned to the gym but had a heavy wrap on it. That takes you down to four fingers for gripping rather than five but if it is wrapped stiff, it's easier to keep it out of the way and just grip with the remaining fingers.

My suggestion to the OP, don't let 300lbs hit your finger again. That must have sucked...

polishedball
02-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys, had a nurse friend clean it out last night. Will go to see the doctor on Monday as it feels like the bone is floating in the tip. the weight only caught the last half inch of the finger, have movement at all the knuckles just that I can kinda feel it it feels wrong like a bone is floating. Don't have the ER room co-pay so Monday it will be.

Been focusing on abs and calves so they will get even more work now :) Gonna see how bad it throbs doing some cardio now.

denmase
02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
i thought my finer crush was bad, but dayuuuummmm!!