PDA

View Full Version : Dealift with Trap Bar

ForceFan27
02-04-2012, 03:34 PM
I asked this question a few weeks ago in the exercise section but didn't get many helpful answers. A few months ago, I decided to stop being a p-ssy and start squating and deadlifting (with good form). My strength on each exercise has gone up a pretty good deal considering the short time period I have been doing them. Lately I have been doing deadlifts with a "trap" bar that looks exactly like this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hardgainer20_4.jpg

I know that it engages my legs a bit more b/c there is a squat element to it and it seems a bit easier on my back. I also can lift more weight without being a fearful of injury. I am thinking of using this exclusively for deadlifts from now on. Any thoughts on why or why not this is a good idea? Any experiences? Thanks for any feedback...

bigtallox
02-04-2012, 05:39 PM
I am thinking of using this exclusively for deadlifts from now on. Any thoughts on why or why not this is a good idea? Any experiences? Thanks for any feedback...

What's your goal in deadlifting? If you want to increase the weight you do on barbell deads, then you need to do barbell deads. We have a frame that we deadlift ( and carry ), deadlifting it is a different movement than a barbell dead. Personally I do both, but my goal is strongman performance ( so I can't just ignore barbell deadlifting, although if I could I'd love to, I prefer deadlifting the frame. )

Here's our frame, it weighs just over 500 pounds...

kayhAMgB6Ec

polishedball
02-04-2012, 06:36 PM
I find trap deads harder on my shoulders for some reason.

tmonkey
02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
I do the diamond bar deads as well.

I have had back surgery and straight bar deads and i do not get along.

Like other have said it depends on your goals. They are not the same lift.

ForceFan27
02-04-2012, 07:02 PM
What's your goal in deadlifting? If you want to increase the weight you do on barbell deads, then you need to do barbell deads. We have a frame that we deadlift ( and carry ), deadlifting it is a different movement than a barbell dead. Personally I do both, but my goal is strongman performance ( so I can't just ignore barbell deadlifting, although if I could I'd love to, I prefer deadlifting the frame. )

I suppose my goal is just building a stronger back. BB deadlifts have always felt very uncomfortable to me. Once I started these, I figured I found a reasonable replacement.?.

ForceFan27
02-04-2012, 07:04 PM
The lift is very similar to that fram except I have to do down another 12-18 inches, putting my legs at about a 90 degree angle.

ironwill2008
02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I am thinking of using this exclusively for deadlifts from now on. Any thoughts on why or why not this is a good idea? Any experiences? Thanks for any feedback...

It depends on where you want the work to primarily go. Conventional Deadlift will put a lot of emphasis on pc, and less so on the legs since the bar/weight is forward of your center of gravity.

Trap Bar does pretty much the opposite--more work on legs, less on pc due to the c/g moved more to the center of the body.

Each good exercises, but different in their functions.

keyboardworkout
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I have the full study but it is 7 pages and in Word format.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21659894

J Strength Cond Res. 2011 Jul;25(7):2000-9.
A biomechanical analysis of straight and hexagonal barbell deadlifts using submaximal loads.
Swinton PA, Stewart A, Agouris I, Keogh JW, Lloyd R.
SourceSchool of Health Sciences, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, United Kingdom. p.swinton@rgu.ac.uk

Abstract

The purpose of the investigation was to compare the kinematics and kinetics of the deadlift performed with 2 distinct barbells across a range of submaximal loads. Nineteen male powerlifters performed the deadlift with a conventional straight barbell and a hexagonal barbell that allowed the lifter to stand within its frame. Subjects performed trials at maximum speed with loads of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80% of their predetermined 1-repetition maximum (1RM). Inverse dynamics and spatial tracking of the external resistance were used to quantify kinematic and kinetic variables. Subjects were able to lift a heavier 1RM load in the hexagonal barbell deadlift (HBD) than the straight barbell deadlift (SBD) (265 41 kg vs. 245 39 kg, p < 0.05). The design of the hexagonal barbell significantly altered the resistance moment at the joints analyzed (p < 0.05), resulting in lower peak moments at the lumbar spine, hip, and ankle (p < 0.05) and an increased peak moment at the knee (p < 0.05). Maximum peak power values of 4,388 713 and 4,872 636 W were obtained for the SBD and HBD, respectively (p < 0.05). Across the submaximal loads, significantly greater peak force, peak velocity and peak power values were produced during the HBD compared to during the SBD (p < 0.05). The results demonstrate that the choice of barbell used to perform the deadlift has a significant effect on a range of kinematic and kinetic variables. The enhanced mechanical stimulus obtained with the hexagonal barbell suggests that in general the HBD is a more effective exercise than the SBD.

bigtallox
02-04-2012, 08:06 PM
I suppose my goal is just building a stronger back.

Then I'd say don't completely neglect barbell deads. Do the trap bar deads, but IMHO do the barbell too.

bigtallox
02-04-2012, 08:09 PM
The lift is very similar to that fram except I have to do down another 12-18 inches, putting my legs at about a 90 degree angle.

Well, that frame's handles are at about 18" off the ground, so I doubt you have to go down 18 more inches, but yeah, our frame is higher than a trap bar. Sometimes when we train at the local fitness center, we play around with the trap bar, go to about 1:50 in this video...

LB-uWrCtctU

ForceFan27
02-05-2012, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll incorporate both...maybe switch off every other week.

keyboardworkout
02-05-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like I'll incorporate both...maybe switch off every other week.

My CNS gets fried if I go heavy with barbell deadlifts and trap bar deads in the same week. I mix it up by doing overhand axle deadlifts to limit weight and heavy trap bar lifts in the same week for a month. Then, I switch to regular heavy mixed grip barbell deads and use the FatGripz on the trap bar deads to limit weight.

flat6nut
02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
My CNS gets fried if I go heavy with barbell deadlifts and trap bar deads in the same week. I mix it up by doing overhand axle deadlifts to limit weight and heavy trap bar lifts in the same week for a month. Then, I switch to regular heavy mixed grip barbell deads and use the FatGripz on the trap bar deads to limit weight.

I am really enjoying my new found FatGripz.

@OP....rack pulls are great for PC on back day...takes out the legs.