PDA

View Full Version : why are fried foods bad?

mepc95
02-04-2012, 01:54 PM
everyone says fried foods are bad, im not talking about fried foods at a restaurant because them i'm sure they'll be bad because you don't know what they put in. but at home i dont see why fried foods get all the hate because if you cook with canola oil its even healthier than olive oil, the sat fat in canola oil is 5% and unsaturated is around 25%. olive oil has 10% sat and i think 22% unsat. is it because you heat it maybe? and maybe they turn to trans fat or they lose their healthy stuff? thats the only think i can think of of why they have such bad rep, and also because of fast food.

BBqChicken1
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Why do you think saturated fat is bad?

mepc95
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
i don't think is bad at all unless you abuse it a buuunnnnch which is the case for anything from what i've heard it boosts test and its a great way to boost up calories especially if your very active. but it's not as healthy as unsat fat. but i'm just curious about this because idk if when you fried the oil like canola, it gets unhealthier like trans or loses benefits

JPL79
02-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Why do you think saturated fat is bad?

Cause society says so.

PhiSig2298
02-04-2012, 02:13 PM
As long as you use oils good for frying & avoid going past their smoke point, fried food is fine. Very calorie dense & sometimes hard to fit into your macros due to the higher fat content

Trigger543
02-04-2012, 02:17 PM
As long as you use oils good for frying & avoid going past their smoke point, fried food is fine. Very calorie dense & sometimes hard to fit into your macros due to the higher fat content

yeah, this. OP, I'd suggest you do a search on google.

mepc95
02-04-2012, 02:42 PM
ok thanks but isn't the fat content in diet supposed to be pretty high

Kahldris
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM

It depends on your goals...for example if you are cutting on something very low like 2k cals you won't be able to fit alot of fat into your calories..

peanut-butter
02-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Because popular belief is fat is unhealthy. Dietary fat and foods that are fried are generally very calorie dense, and for most people foods that are high in calories is not a good thing. (As they do not track caloric intake)

It doesn't necessarily need to be high, it's just very important that it's not too low.

synthetic
02-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Deep frying foods does create transfat - pan searing depend on the oil and how long it was there - regardless heat degrades the nutrients value in oil. Non expeller pressed canola oil already has transfat with it

PhiSig2298
02-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Deep frying foods does create transfat - pan searing depend on the oil and how long it was there - regardless heat degrades the nutrients value in oil. Non expeller pressed canola oil already has transfat with it

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A2483-2003Aug29&notFound=true

"High heat can cause the formation of minuscule amounts of trans fatty acids over extended lengths of time. But temperatures for traditional frying (300 to 350 degrees) and relatively short cooking times (5 to 10 minutes) would have a negligible effect on the formation of trans fat in cooking oil. For example, a recent study conducted to determine the levels of trans fat isomers formed by heat found that in canola oil heated to 500 degrees for 30 minutes, trans fat levels were increased by only 1 percent. Traditional frying at lower temperatures for shorter lengths of time would produce significantly fewer trans fats."

rand18m
02-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Correct ^^^

mepc95
02-04-2012, 06:06 PM
ok thanks all of you for answering my question